Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 05:58AM

Just wondering why all these sacred funds that are donated are not written out specific to the "Corp of The Presiding Bishopric" ?
Seems to me that that is where all the money goes first so if it is written out to the COJCOLDS, how is the money legally moved over to the CORP ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:54AM

Typically, people write checks to their ward, but can write it out to the CoPB when submitting tithes directly to SLC.

When the tithes and offerings are completed every Sunday after church, MLS transmits all of the information to the Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric. After the money is deposited at the bank, the CoPB withdraws it electronically and runs their fingers through it at SLC (cue Scrooge McDuck).

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:03AM

Because the ward has a local checking account and it cuts down on float. Collection times on checks deposited at local banks is much faster than, say, sending a check to SLC written on a bank in, say, Jacksonville, FL.

It's all about the float (time between deposit and collection at the receiving bank). "A dollar today is always worth more than a dollar tomorrow."

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:56PM

How about this instead: To Pay the order of: The Most Holy and Sacred Mall Construction Fund of Our Lord and Master Jesus Smith c/o Tommy Monson.

Posted by: jondoe ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:23AM

Since when do you have to pay for your salvation??? I thought the savior already paid the price, and we have to believe in him to be saved. Its like the bible story of the money changers at the temple. Jesus cast them out for trying to profit off of something holy. We pay to stay out of hell, but the money doesnt help the poor, only the rich build their malls and office buildings to be rented to Goldman-Sachs.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:34PM

In the case of the LDS Church the donations (cash and checks) go into a local checking account that has two signatures for withdrawals.

Now days they transfer the donations electronically to an account in SLC, UT.
The last I heard, (Ward financial clerk?)the LDS Church then gives some of the funds back to the local units. They used to get enough to pay for janitorial services, but not anymore.

I don't know how this is done in other churches, but tithing is a major teaching of many. It's encouraged, but not a requirement that I know of. There is some disagreement about what a tithe is based on.

Of course, tithing is part of the temple recommend requirements in the LDS Church, so those that want to participate will tithe.
There is a lot of disagreement on what to tithe on: gross, net, increase/or interest. Business owners most likely tithe differently than salaried employees.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:35PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.