Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 12:10AM

Just curious if anyone here does either of these. If anyone does I just want to know some things about it like how long it took to do it? What did you do to learn how? Is it worth it? What does it feel like? And whatever else you want to say about either one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dale B. ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:06AM

I've had one such experience during
some 70 years on this planet.

I'm fairly positive that it was not my
imagination, nor some odd delusion. It
was a very unusual perceptual dissociation.

What did I learn? -- That there were some
cracks in the ceiling, not visible from
the floor, and that they were covered
with cob-webs.

Pretty poor results for my one and only
OBE -- but, that's all I can report.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:11AM

This will sound crazy ---- but of course it goes with the territory.

I have 'astrally projected' based on a number of different books on associated subjects. The 'best' AP I believe I accomplished was to go to the 'spirit world' and saw my parents (saw them as spirits so I could recognize them but don't believe they are in that form other than for me) and they asked what I was doing there, and quickly ushered me in to meet another of my spirit guides(?) who I had not met before, again in spirit form versus his true nature. After a short conversation I was back.

Others seemed much less of a AP but did go many places on earth under conditions I wanted and it was cool ---- but not sure they qualify as what "many" would term AP others call what I normally do 'mind vacations'. My 'best' AP above took a couple of weeks, I had problems with a 'directed' meditation on the internet (use to be quite a few), and I have not duplicated that again ----- haven't really tried as I sort of can easily do the others using other methods.

One book I read indicated it may take 20+ tries to be successful for some others 1st time. I tend to concentrate my efforts primarily on 'useful' intuition/psychics now. But I did do a 'mind vacation' today to Cancun, Yellowstone, and frequently go to a beach in Maui I really enjoyed. I am not an expert but I can't seem to move my whole body (AP) but easily can go mentally only except maybe 1 time. Some books say the mind only is AP but not sure 'most' agree as many describe taking you A. body.

There was someone who 'claimed' they could do it with ease (when they meditated) on this site but can't remember their screen name hopefully he/she will chime in to help you ----- his APs seemed better than my best, seemed like he was more experienced by far and actually moving his A. body.

As far as dreams ----- I have received around 5-10 dream messages/premonitions, etc. As far as 'lucid' dreams, where I can change it to get a desired outcome, the books I have studied want me to go into it consciously then manipulate it. The last premonition was before I read a book about dreams so I am not sure I could have changed the outcome to something better ----- didn't try, didn't know I should. I have used this method 'consciously visualizing' to improve in sports, see my day, etc. and am pleased with the results thus far ----- not sure if I was ever in a dream state on these. I don't know if either is what 'most' consider 'lucid' dreams.

I was able to get plenty of books on these subjects at a local library and on the internet also plenty of 'guided meditations' on the internet. I admit the various books I read didn't totally match up on the same definition for AP or lucid dreaming ----- pretty wide window for both from what I read.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:43AM

Does this qualify?
Several years ago my husband and I drove downtown after dark. I looked to my left and saw a young woman chatting with her friends. It occurred to me to say, "Look, there's our Sweetness!" as if I'd gone 20 years into the future and saw our granddaughter. All I could see was her silhouette, but I recognized the shape of her head. I shook the feeling off and snapped myself back to the present since our boys weren't even married. A few years later, our son drove up with his date. When she got out of the car, I knew she was the one he would marry, because I recognized the shape of her head. Now they have a daughter. She's 2. My Sweetness! :)

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:55AM

Is it possible to do past life regressions this way?

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:54PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFDSLSv-Po

Try this guided meditation to identify past lives.

Return and report if you want.

Posted by: jayc ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:56AM

Yes, I have some experience with lucid dreaming. I believe that astral projection is nothing more than a very specific type of lucid dream, due to the inability of people to verify real world data while astral projecting.

To learn how to lucid dream, I recommend doing reality checks throughout your day. It only took a couple of days of doing this before I had my first lucid dream. Check this out: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/reality-checks.html

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 05:33AM

I've posted about my experiences with these and other spirit activities on rfm many times in the past. Most people here are not interested in these topics, if not outright hostile towards them. You can prolly find some of my posts if you do a long search.

Often such experiences have occurred in deep meditation, as I am a yogi. Sometimes during what we call yoga nidra, which is staying awake as your body sleeps. Such experiences are interesting, and I wish to gain more experience with lucid dreaming so as to gain more control over reality creation. But yogis are working to get beyond 3D experiences and the senses, so they are not a main goal. Even if I had the ability to create reality as completely as the star trek holodeck, I still may wish to transcend this.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 05:45AM

Yes to both, although my APs are incomplete and of short duration. They are both very interesting to experience. If you want a good book about AP, get William Buhlman's "Adventures Beyond the Body."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 05:45AM by summer.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 08:01AM

"No One Ever Dreams" (1997) from "Dancing Galaxy" by Astral Projection

https://youtu.be/eTSzlrbklwQ

Alas, Goa Trance is no more...

Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 08:17AM

Thanks for all the info guys!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 08:55AM

I've had only two out of body experiences. Neither was tried for, they just spontaneously happened. The first I was 15 years old, and my parents had newly separated. I was living with my father and brother in a city flat, and my bed was a fold-out sofa in the livingroom. I awoke during the night and sensed a formidable presence enter in through the kitchen front door, that was adjacent to the livingroom. It came over to where I was laying, and I felt it sit beside me. The next thing I knew I was out of my body flying around the ceiling of our apartment, it seemed like 2-3 times. I'd been dispossessed, and whatever that spiritual presence was had taken over my body. After spinning around the ceiling of our apartment, I was let back into my body, and I sensed the spiritual presence get up from my bedside, leave the room and our house. I don't know who that spiritual entity was, or why it wanted to go inside my body while my own spirit was cast out, until I returned. That's something that has always mystified me to this day.

The second time I had what resembled a near death experience of my spirit leaving my body, occurred when I was 35. I was on cold medicine, getting over a winter bout of something, and barely able to sleep lying on my back in my room. All at once I saw a beautiful image of a pale yellow moon, tiny circle of light in a night sky, flanked by an image of two identical but barren, arching trees - the silhouette was breathtakingly beautiful as long as I concentrated on the moon. If I took my focus off of the moon the picture faded. So I kept looking at it, until I was suddenly enveloped inside a white light and was rushing somewhere. Then I came to a place where some angelic looking beings were inside a building, and one of them looked straight at me with a curious look on his face. He was cherubic with a golden bronze colored skin, curly hair, and wearing what looked like gym clothing. Then I turned and went into another large room where a man was standing over a table doing some kind of paperwork. He looked up at me and said, "What in the hell are you doing here?" I answered I didn't know, and that was a good question. (I didn't even know where "here" was.) When all at once I was turned around again, and went back through the whooshing white light and was then back in my body.

The man at the table looked very much like my late maternal grandfather. Only he was wearing dark glasses that covered his eyes. Later, after waking, I shared that experience with my dad and he said that was just like something my late grandfather would've said.

It felt like a near death experience. I was very glad it wasn't my time yet to go. One other thing that I recall as I was returned to my body was something like a computer program was running through my head taking an inventory of all the words I knew in my vocabulary. It was a lengthy list of words, but I was impressed that there were many more I needed to add to my vocabulary before my life was over.

Why vocabulary? God only knows. Maybe God is a scientist, and we are his subjects like little fishies in a petri dish being watched and monitored for signs of growth.

Whatever. I'm home today still recuping from the flu shot. I hope there are no more out of body experiences before my time is officially up. I'm not ready to meet my Maker, and I trust that heaven isn't ready for me yet either. :)

The white light that I entered into both parts of my journey on the second event were what is consistently described by near deathers as being inside a sense of pure love and peaceful tranquility. That's how it felt when I was inside of it. It had a very calming effect and all the cares of the world evaporated while I was in it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 10:48AM by amyjo.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:58PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1363723,1363
> 723#msg-1363723

Wait for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:08AM

We had this humongous turkish hashish wrapped on a roll...
I had managed to take less than half dozen deep drags....
The result was....well...there are no words to describe....
I was instantly transformed into a core, full of sparkles...and colors ive never seen with normal eyes...
I could not move few hours..
It was way beyond incredible....

I never tried it after that experience...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:24AM

I'm pretty open minded, but skeptical too, and I've had experiences that could be astral projection. But from the logical side, instead they could have been vivid, intense dreams. The mind can do some pretty amazing tricks on people and make them believe fantastical things, even without psychotropic help.

I taught myself how to lucidly dream as a little girl because of my frequent nightmares. I learned how to take control of the nightmares and change the dream. What's really scary though is these days, it can be harder to seize the control or even wake up.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:20AM

. . . "astral projection" woo-woo out of ex-Mos.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,261915,261915#msg-261915

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 11:28AM by steve benson.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:25PM

Posted by: strangeloop ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:45AM

I lucid dream. Took about a year to make it happen consistently.

Posted by: Dale B. ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:14PM

strangeloop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I lucid dream. Took about a year to make it happen
> consistently.

It happens rarely for me -- maybe a couple of
times a year. The key turning point in such a
dream experience, is my saying to myself, while
dreaming, "this is too odd to be true," or,
"the last time this odd thing happened was in a
dream..."

If I can get past that point, without quickly
waking up, I generally can take some minimal
control over the dream events. Flying, or
filling my dream wallet with hundred dollar
bills is fun -- but such extravagance almost
always leads to a sudden awakening.

I suppose that lucid dream "consciousness" is a
phenomenon very close to half-awakeness.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:32PM

My son and I are planning to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail in a few years. 30+ days of riding from the Canadian Rockies down through the great divide and onto New Mexico. I dreamt the other night that I was on the trail riding in Montana, when we were charged by a mother grizzly bear at full sped. We were peddling like crazy. The dream was vivid, real - but as you may know bears reach speeds of 40 mph. I heard and felt the bear chasing my back end, could hear her/him panting, and knew bear claws would shortly be tearing into me. I woke up. I suppose I could have been AP'ed that night, but most likely not. Dreams can seem very real.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 02:06PM

I've had several lucid dreams, but just when the girl gets me into bed, I wake up.

Wrong kind of dream?

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 02:19PM

I believe that is knows as "premature projection"...pisses me off when it happens.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 09:47PM

I half-astral project.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:01PM

I am a lucid dreamer, but I'm afraid I can't offer you any tips on how to do it or anything. I've always been able to dream like that, and never had to learn it. I understand that there are ways to learn the skill, but for obvious reasons, I've never had to take that route.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:06PM

Yes, I just naturally lucid dream sometimes without trying. It must be from my natural skepticism. Sometimes my dreams are so silly that I realize they are not real.

Why do people even want to lucid dream? It takes all the fun out of dreaming. It is sort of like being awake. It is sort of like watching stupid children's television programming. You dream a bunch of silly nonsense, but know that it is not real, and that makes it seem even sillier. I guess lucid dreaming could save a person from scary nightmares, but I don't have scary nightmares, so my lucid dreaming doesn't save me from them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:06PM

Being out of my mind comes quite naturally to me.
Being out of my body--that's another matter (pun intended) entirely!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:18PM

I used to do this thing sometimes when I was uncomfortable at work, which was pretty much any time I was there. I worked at a complex of very large factory buildings, and I would sometimes imagine looking down at myself from a great height. No doubt it was stress-related escapism, but I could almost see it like it was happening. I suppose I saw it in my thoughts. The complex was the size of a ball park and had a diamond shape, I imagined, to one looking down at it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:21PM

I've had very impressionable dreams. Some had accurate info that had just happened or would happen shortly. Not many. But a few that I can recall.
I've had several experiences of lucid dreaming. It's very odd. It has happened naturally, no effort on my part.
I have had many very clear impressions from intuition that are usually a message - information that benefits me in some way.
I just wish I could use my inner intuition to find stuff I've misplaced and cannot find! :-)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:49PM

It didn't happen.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:10AM

When I was around the age of 10 I had an out of body experience. I was sleeping when suddenly I saw myself lying on my bed, but "I" was hovering near the ceiling. I then went through the window into the back yard and floated around. I looked at the fence between my yard and the neighbors and noticed some details about it that I hadn't seen before. Then I floated through the branches near the top of our willow tree. I remember seeing one of the cables that ran from the house to the alley (I think it was an electricity cable--it had 2 different cables twisted together.) Then I was inside my house in the living room and I saw my mom lying on the couch reading a paperback book. I made a point of seeing what page she was on and then checking the time on the grandfather clock. After that I was outside again in the tree and I started feeling afraid that something bad was going to happen to me, so I went back to my body. As I lay there in my bed, I asked myself if it could possibly be real, or if it was just a vivid dream. The next day I told my mom about it and confirmed that she had been reading on the sofa at that time and had been reading at that point in the book. Also, I went to the backyard to see if the fence and cable were actually like the view I had received. They were.

So, yes, I could be wrong, but I believe I had a true OOB experience. Unfortunately, it's never happened since.

As for lucid dreaming...I just read a book that discussed this (among other things) and so I've tried to notice when I'm dreaming and to control the story in my dream. I've had a lucid dream several times over the last few weeks, but the only thing I've been able to do at will was to fly in my dream. In one dream I was trying to kiss a man (it's tough being single), but he wouldn't let me. I was frustrated because it was my dream and yet I couldn't control it the way I wanted. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.