Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 10:53PM

I've always been bothered by Lucifer, filthy lucre, and what is sufficient for someone's needs since I "took out" my endowment.

Why? Because it seemed the height of hypocrisy. I could recognize that this asking for money and Peter replying "sufficient for our needs" and it being dropped may play well for dead people but I wasn't dead and I was doing this strange stuff for myself apparently. Why did The Devil ask for money? It wasn't even invented yet I thought. If Adam and Eve had some dough then they needed to get some new clothes. Those skins looked positively primitive. And what were the pre-existent apostles doing with money????

And additionally, the church was fine I guess in making unborn apostles wear crappy tunics and looking like they were from the middle ages but they had money???? Why would they NEED it? They didn't even have bodies!!!

As for the church being fine with that, they are even better at crafting their messages to make mere members into they responsible parties when it comes to this temple-imparted wisdom.

"This requires us to recognize when we have sufficient for our needs and use the surplus to impart unto others."
http://explorationsinfaith.blogspot.com/2011/11/sufficient-for-our-needs.html

But where is the church in imparting some of their money unto others. It looks to me like "the surplus" went to a mall not to mention all the newer buildings with pre-existent now dead dress wearing apostles telling Satan they have money. Not enough for the poor obviously.

Here is the church bishop who oversaw the construction and paid for the mall.

"Bishop David M. Burton recently provided excellent counsel for each of us:

I am suggesting that it is important for families and individuals to aggressively seek more of the virtues which go beyond this mortal life. A prayerful, conservative approach is the key to successful living in an affluent society and building qualities that come from waiting, sharing, saving, working hard and making due with what we have. May we be blessed with the desire and the ability to understand when more is less and when more is better (Ensign, Nov 2004)."
http://ldsmag.com/article-1-4770/

But do shop at our high end mall, or is that just for tourists and gentiles like Brigham did with passing through pioneers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 06:21AM

Yes, the endowment is full of absurdities. I'd forgotten about that particular one. Why did PJ&J have any money at all?

Burton's advice looks ridiculous in light of his getting canned for speculation and overspending. Patience and frugality for us, just so he can play around with our money.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 09:18AM

Isn't Burton head of the UTA now? What is his salary? We had a multi- millionaire stake president who would rant against the evils of money, all while building his multi million dollar mansion in Davis county.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 09:59AM

A good salary, but not multimillionaire status.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865625010/UTA-board-approves-new-pay-plan-for-executives-managers.html

Michael Allegra, president/CEO

Wages (including vacation and sick leave): $228,558 (2013); $229,597 (2014)

Incentive award: $30,000 (2013); $0 (2014)

Total compensation (including health, retirement and life insurance benefits):

$399,621 (2013); $367,608 (2014)

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:24AM

Actually Dave Burton is Chair of the Board of Trustees.

The $229k is for the CEO and is stated to be the highest paid executive position for the Authority. We do not know what the trustees are paid.

They may receive no salary, just expenses, which is often the case with 'trustee' positions. Or, they may be paid from some other source and they are not disclosing the amounts. Or, they could be paid by their sponsors - Dave is appointed by the Governor of Utah (presumably as commanded by TSCC).

Either way, Dave gets paid a bundle by TSCC as former PB. He does not need to be paid by UTA although I do wonder why he would be doing such a job at age 77 without some perks or prestige. If he gets paid anything as Chair, it will be on top of his already generous package from TSCC. Maybe his role is just to ensure TSCC are in control of public transport in Utah. I don't know.

Shortly after our visit he told me he was going on vacation with his family to California. I was surprised to meet him in the elevator of the COB a few days later. I said "I thought you were on vacation in California". He replied "yes, but I received a call to take care of an important matter. That's the way it goes". As a TBM I was impressed with his commitment, but now I wonder.
Certainly Dave has detailed knowledge of the financials. He started as assistant budget officer and became Presiding Bishop. He was the money man.

I call him Dave, not to be disrespectful, but that is how I was introduced to him in 1987 when he was executive secretary to the PB. I was told it was essential for me to meet him as he was the most powerful church employee and the PB did whatever he recommended. I had a very cordial visit with him and we called one another 'Dave' and 'Tom'.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:51AM

Great info Tom. Thanks for your input. Makes we wonder if there is a level of sociopath one has to be to be able to advise publicly one thing and do for your "church" the exact opposite.

"The Mall" has nothing to do with this advise/prayer.

"May we be blessed with the desire and the ability to understand when more is less and when more is better.."

That is unless when more is better shopping opportunities and better location for living.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 09:57AM

They make it sound like you can sell your signs and tokens and become rich. You can't even give them away today!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.