Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mason ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 12:58PM

I am 14 and have been a closet exmormon for about a year now. In Sunday school today we were talking about how gay marriage is bad (I was already pissed that that came up). Then my teacher said, "Has anyone seen the cambells soup commercial that irritates me so much? It has a father that says I am your father to his son. Then another man said no I am your father" (like in star wars). Then all the students threw out comments like "Gross!" "Why would they do that?" "That is so wrong!" Etc. I couldn't believe how hateful they all were! Church of love my ass!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:00PM

I wonder what the teacher would have said if he knew those two guys in the commercial are married in real life to each other. I bet he would have been even more grossed out.

Date: November 29, 2015 01:03PM

And I thought he was an OK guy too. Guess I was wrong.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:01PM

I haven't seen it. Sorry you have to put up with bigotry at church. May the next four years be filled with enough joy to outshine the church in which I assume you are stuck!

Date: November 29, 2015 01:08PM

I actually haven't seen it either. I keep going back and forth about whether or not I should tell my parents or not. Thank you for the kind words too!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:15PM

Here's a link to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZOMY2sOnE

Two nice dads entertaining a cute kid. Disgusting.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:17PM

Good for you for recognizing discrimination and rebelling against it. My brother stopped believing in the church when I came out. He kept going for a couple more years to appease our parents, but he was done.

Being disgusted at love is disgusting. I'd much rather have 2 loving dads than two parents who hate gays.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:20PM

I'm sure many Mormons reacted the same way to the racially mixed couple with the cute daughter in the Cheerios commercial. Mormons are bigots. It's official--they are told to be.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:24PM

He must be talking about the "Star Wars" ad that they are doing to hype the new "Star Wars" movie that comes out on December 18. It's all over the place on TV....

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:28PM

Congratulations for seeing the problem with that and seeing through it. It's not easy when you are young and surrounded by people like that.

I know Campbell's has taken some crap from the uber Christians for that commercial. I am impressed with them for showing yet another loving family (who loves soup!).

They are alienating a lot of good people and are looking like colossal bigots from the 1950s.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 06:54PM

If I weren't so anti Monsanto, I'd eat Campbell's and drink that Starbucks red cup just to piss them off.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:33PM

I've seen the commercial. I knew when I saw it that it would likely be discussed in church. I'm curious to know what the REAL lesson was on?

My TBM SIL is probably having a fit over this. A few years ago she canceled all her subscriptions to decorating magazines that highlighted the homes of gay couples. I guess now she'll want to boycott Campbell's. Come to think of it, this could be disastrous for many TBMs. How do you make funeral potatoes without a can of cream of chicken soup? I guess there's always the store brand.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 01:36PM

Haha. I guess she'll have to live on Chick-fil-@ and only shop at H@bby L@bby. ;-)

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 06:42PM

Pretty sure I'm the only person alive who has never had funeral potatoes.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 02:27PM

Two Gay parents would have been a far cry better then the two TBM heterosexual monsters who raised me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 02:28PM by 64monkey.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 04:34PM

I didn't like going to the Mormon church at your age either. Hang in there and try to think of better things when you're sitting in those meetings.

Posted by: Satan's Little Helper ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 05:35PM

On another thread, the OP asked what might happen should his grandson come out of the closet. I suggested that one of the things not being addressed was that just being involved in mormonism exposes gay kids to this kind of hatred. They sit quietly in Sunday School and contemplate how to deal with the fact that every positive thing that every person in he church would be negated if those people knew the truth about them. They have seen the hatred and are waiting for it to be directed toward them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 05:51PM

Some things never change. When I was around twelve and thirteen years old, the High Priest Quorumites used to deliver warnings over the pulpit about evil messages hidden in popular music. Mostly the covert messengers of evil were singers of color.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 06:51PM

I've seen that commercial, and my first thought was that TBM's and those in the Bible Belt are going to be offended.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 06:55PM

Just wait until there's a soup commercial with a Bajoran and Cardassian couple. We'll never hear the end of it.

Yes, I am dating myself.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 10:57PM

Lolol

Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 12:18AM

are you mid-30s? Because I am and I love that show...

did you really date yourself?

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 12:39AM

Love Stephen Colbert's analysis on his show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zX3kcwtIc

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.