Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: savagestarlight ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 03:53PM

I'm sure there's a verse somewhere in the BOM about the seer stones not allowed to be shown or something like that. Anyone got that verse somewhere? Trying to prove a point to a MORmON.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 04:18PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:31PM

It's ironic that a thing called a seer stone would be kept from sight. Not much seeing going on there.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:41PM

I wonder if any other churches have a seer stone that played prominently in their history.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 11:53AM

I do not believe there is anything in the BoM describing the seer stone as too sacred to share. Bear in mind that Joseph Smith freely displayed the seer stone and the early saints were not ashamed of it. At one point, Brigham Young even taught that everyone was entitled to a seer stone. The only artifacts that were too sacred to share were the fictitious inventions of Joseph Smith's imagination: the plates, the sword of Laban, the breast plate, and the Nephite interpreters.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 11:55AM

BTW, what point were you trying to prove?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 12:45PM

OK, try this: while the seer stone is not mentioned in the BoM AFAIK, what about the plates? Why is there no warning in the BoM that "No man may look on them and live?" Was there something dangerously magical about them? Why, after all the years of these sacred records being...well...recorded by the hand of man, did looking at them prove deadly?

Isn't it convenient that Joseph Smith was the only person blessed and authorized to see them, as well as convenient that they went back to heaven?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 03:08PM

May I offer the following;

Mosiah 8:13

"He wherewith that he can look, and translate all records that are of ancient date; and it is a gift from God. And the things are called interpreters, and no man can look in them except he be commanded, lest he look for that he ought not and he should perish."

So showing them seems fine. Using them without commandment from God will cause you to perish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.