Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 01:41PM

Berta Marquez (lesbian Mormon) speaks on the policy.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/24/457277916/mormon-woman-grapples-with-new-church-guidelines-on-same-sex-relationships

I heard this last night; it was very touching. Who is this Christofferson dude? This is the first time I heard the words "sin" and "discipline" associated with this policy drivel. I am sickened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:26PM

I am not sure if you were being sarcastic. Christofferson is one of the many junior apostles these days.

I would like to have a summary of the segment. I don't have the time to listen to it. Very interested. Thanks for the post.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:50PM

No not sarcastic. Is he some kind of spokesman for the church? I am not a Mormon so really don't know the cast of characters. His comments, and the cold tone with which he made them, raised the hair on the back of my neck.

There is a transcript at the link so you can speed-read if you want to, but essentially the interviewee is a Guatamalan refugee who came to this country as a young girl and was embraced and profoundly helped by the LDS. As she matured she became aware of her sexual orientation, but did not come out till after graduation from BYU. She talks a bit about her time at BYU, and eventually coming out and marrying; she never felt rejected during those years, and she and her wife (both in their late 30's) are both in the church.

They both have written but not sent their letters. Her last comment in the interview was very poignant. When asked if she were "done" with the church, she said,

"Well, I - yes and no. I mean, yes in the sense that I'm personally done meeting with people at church headquarters and believing that somehow our stories matter - at least in the upper echelons of the institutional church. But I continue to love Mormons profoundly with my whole soul. I love members of the church. They're my people. They're the ones that formed me in my youth. And that's the one thing that doesn't change and won't ever change for me."

It is so terrifically sad for those with a home in the church.

As I said, I am not Mormon, nor am I gay, but have both Mormons and lesbian couples among my beloved friends and family, so it could be interesting around here, but nobody's talking about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.