Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:10PM

Yeah He's a big time winner on Jeaprody. I think thats how you spell it.
Its good because its getting all kinds of attention on FB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:12PM

I have admired Ken Jennings since I watched him on Jeopardy, although I didn't see all of his show.

He's written some very interesting books for adults and kids and seems just too smart to put up with some of things Mormons do and say.

I'm glad to see this from him and hope it doesn't cause any problems with his local ward leadership.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:14PM

He thinks he can publicly denounce the church and not face consequences. He says that in the podcast.

Maybe his fame will shield him somewhat, but I don't think he realizes how vindictive LDS, Inc is these days.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:19PM

Exactly. "Mr. Jennings- please report to the SP's office".

Maybe they can do a celebrity ex mo Jeopardy Tournament? Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, Steve Benson & Ken Jennings

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 12:54AM

That would be tremendous fun.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 03:40AM

especially if all of the questions were about the Book of Abraham, the Doctrine of Caine, Blood Atonement, MMM, No Man Knows My History, Changes to the Sacred Endowment....

All kinds of fun for us!!

Unfortunately, most of the audience, who know little or nothing about Mormonism and could care less, would be bored to tears.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:23PM

Same here. He's probably going to be excommunicated for speaking out against the church since they don't want any more negative press. "What is a court of love?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 08:23PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:20PM

I hope he doesn't back down!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:24PM

Every time I see KJ I am reminded of his blooper with the ho.

Alex's deadpan was priceless.

Good to see has a heart to go with that brain.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:26PM

That was classic! "They teach you that in school in Utah, eh?"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:26PM

It used to be that if you publically said you disagreed with the church, it was viewed as going against the "brethren" and grounds for losing your temple E Ticket.

I think we will see the church embracing more diversity of opinion going forward. People will think the church is all badass because they get to speak out without consequence. I guess for the Mormon church, that is a baby step in adapting to change.

Date: November 24, 2015 08:32PM

They are viciously exing people who speak out against the church and cause them bad press.

Exing someone is a way for the church to signal that their words are heretical. TBMs know that you cannot quote an excommunicant.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:30PM

"He thinks he can publicly denounce the church and not face consequences." - He is as good as ex'd. Welcome another Ex-Mo right?

Ken Jennings - welcome to this board soon!

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:31PM

Great interview. I don't think his membership is threatened yet...he's too big a name. He'll probably get a private knuckle-slap at most.

I still don't get how smart people stay in. The way the church is set up, the way they've positioned themselves, is that it's all true...or it's not, and Ken, in no small way, has totally disavowed (to use a now popular term) this policy.

What is "IT'S A CULT!"?

Date: November 24, 2015 08:33PM

In the interview, he says that he disagrees with a lot the church teaches, but he credits it with making him a good person. He doesn't want to leave, but he also doesn't sound very TBM.

This might be the push that sends him out, especially if they try to silence him.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:38PM

I would agree that this could be the first step in that direction.

He might not take well to a private censure, and that could prompt him to speak out more, which, in turn, could cause this thing to spiral out of control (as far as the church is concerned).

But I don't think this one act, alone, will result in his being ex'd or disfellowshipped or publicly reprimanded.

I follow him on Twitter, and he occasionally says things there that would make the old men in the COB uncomfortable.

As someone else said, "Get your popcorn ready."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:32PM

Well said, and the TBMs in my family are much impressed with KJ. It'll be interesting to see their reaction. I need to buy more popcorn.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:36PM

Need a sticky... Exmormon.com welcomes Ken Jennings.

Intelligence in sheep is not a desirable trait.

Welcome fellow goat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 08:36PM by the1v.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:41PM

Soundbite starts at 11:00

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:27PM

Believing that the church would "come around" was the keystone of my continued active involvement for years. I just knew that a new, fresh take on social issues was just around the corner.

The policy changes crushed that belief.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:02PM

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:16PM

I have a feeling they will ignore any dissenters. Ken Jennings denounces LDS antigay policy, along with several billion other folks. Cojcolds can't win with this one.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:54PM

The only real logical conclusion you can draw from the evidence obviously screams out against Josephs Myth. It has to be a fraud
As surely as 1+1=2.
But some people like TBMs, are usually just smart enough to justify just about anything, like 1+1=3, because they feel thats right, hecause a General Authority said so, or somebody like Daniel Peterson.
We live in a day and age where we co-exist, with extremes, far away from The world John Lennon Inagined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 12:02AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 01:58AM

My bet is in that they will respond publicly to him, as he is prominent and made public statements. At this point, it looks to me like they want ssm out of the church, and don't really care if dissenters go. I'll be interested to see what happens. Pass the popcorn, please.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:41AM

Most poignant quote: "This is not how Jesus would act."

Morg is being so insanely hypocritical it's not even funny. "We're all about the kids and the families, except just that you can't have gay parents because this is an arbitrarily big issue for us and were politicking right now lulz sry".

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:19AM

Next up: MORmON church denounces Ken Jennings.

too bad for LDS Inc, their PR agents were so proud of the fact that Ken was a MORmON and the attendant bragging rights they automatically ASSumed. Not any more !!!!

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:16AM

This is going to be a real tricky one for LDS Ince to handle. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

I think if he shuts up after this interview he will get away with expressing his views publicly this one time but the fact that he gave the interview to JD, LDS Inc's arch enemy, may be too much for the old boys to swallow.

Date: November 25, 2015 08:26AM

Savage is an openly gay journalist who specializes in a sex advice. Dehlin just passed it along.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 10:57PM

"What is 'The Stranger'?"

Date: November 25, 2015 08:36AM

Ken's winning strategy was based on his sense of timing as much as his above average IQ.

Knowing just how and when to ring in served him well.

Can't wait to see how ringing in on this topic will reward him.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:05PM

He understands well how to end this game in a manner of his choosing, using their rules.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 07:41PM

Yea, good for him. Standing up for your own convictions is a brave thing to do.

Now I'm craving popcorn. I'm literally heading out to the store to get some now.

Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket while I'm at it.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 07:43PM

Who gives a shit? He won a game show. He did not split the atom.

HH =)

Date: November 25, 2015 09:13PM

They love pointing out famous Mormons.

Most famous Mormons I can name these days are Exmos like Ryan Gosling and Aaron Eckhart. Even Kevin Rahm is out now.

Date: November 25, 2015 09:12PM

Well I'm surprised that no one has yet pointed out that his membership is now in jeopardy.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 10:57PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.