Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:37PM

Can Utard be far behind? The lard loves his profits you know.

Actually not unlike the DNA genealogy that Huntsman does but not non-profit.

http://www.naturalnews.com/052046_DNA_database_genetic_privacy_California.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:48PM

...good luck with that. Does anyone actually think that the State of California can manage and operate this "database"?...or could be contracted-out to be maintained and operated successfully? There will be screwups, followed closely by lawsuits.........IMO....not saying they won't try.

...those guys can screw up a free-lunch....or more likely, your DNA will be "statistically matched" to a canteloupe, carrot, or an antihistimine product..

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:49PM

That article contains a number of inaccuracies, and poor (intentionally poor?) choices of words.

Having just had a baby in California (and another one I had in 2001), I know how the program works.

Contrary to how the article presented the taking of the sample, what was being done was *clearly* explained to my wife and I 5 months ago when our daughter was born. It was the same in 2001 when my last daughter was born. We were also *clearly* given the option to either NOT have the sample taken, or NOT have the state "store" the sample. With both kids, we had the sample taken, got a report later on showing negatives for all of the genetic diseases they screen for, and allowed our daughters' "de-personalized" sample to be kept by the state.

It's not actually a "database," by the way. What they're NOT doing is taking the full genome of every kid and storing it digitally. The sample is kept (blood spot on a card), and the results of the genetic disease tests are kept both on paper and digitally. But there is NOT a digital copy of anyone's DNA or entire genome stored.

Finally, when researchers or companies purchase access to the information, they get *statistical* information -- they don't get your DNA. And if police request any individual's sample or statistics, they need a warrant.

I researched the program carefully before participating. Inaccurate "scare" pieces like the article above are ridiculous.

By the way, if you're convicted of a crime in California, your DNA IS sampled, and stored, whether you like it or not. That's not the case with newborns.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:55PM

Reading the comments sent my woo detector off the scale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.