Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 02:09AM

How is it possible that members sit in church for 3 hours per week, have callings etc., have VTs and HTs, live, breathe, speak of nothing but the CULT and yet they know next to NOTHING about the CULT?

This makes no sense to me. I know that if a Methodist (just as an example) attended as much church as TBMs do, they'd know lots about their doctrines and teachings.

I have two theories why the CULT members know next to nothing... I'd like your opinions too.
1. They use people basically off the street to be the bishops etc. They brag about having an untrained clergy. I don't think that is anything to brag about. CULT members would be the first to bitch their butts off if schools did this. Imagine the school teachers are just whoever came for the job interview got it, no training nothing. IMAGINE THAT!
2. They take Milk before meat so far that there is never any meat and members forgot that there was ever supposed to be meat. The members become so brainwashed and hypnotized over years that they don't care if they know nothing.

It might be a combination of both. I just know that in 3 years of Buddhist training, I know a lot about Buddhist teachings. I certainly have more to learn, but they don't hide the teachings from the sangha (Buddhist community). MY Catholic friend can tell me tons of things about Catholic doctrine.
The CULT just doesn't seems to care if their members know anything or not. Seems really stupid to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 11:29AM

I think you're looking at this from an ex-mo point of view.
In my experience, the vast majority of church members -- of ANY church -- know almost nothing about the history of their church, doctrinal disputes, controversies, etc. They don't want to know. They want "church" to be a nice comfy place to go on Sunday with nice people, which gives them rules to live by.

With few exceptions, I don't know any Catholics (and I know a lot of 'em) who know much if anything about the church's history. I've mentioned the Great Schism with lots of them -- including priests -- and gotten blank stares, for example. They know some "broad strokes" about general history, but no details, and nothing of any controversies.

Mormons are the same way. Sunday School, seminary, gospel doctrine, "institute," etc. -- they don't teach you substantive facts about the church, its history, etc. They present some broad strokes, ignore controversy, and are designed to "enhance faith," not make you a religious scholar.

It's funny you mention Methodists...just the other day, I was having a discussion with a lifelong Methodist, who didn't even know where (geographically) his church originated (or why). And who insisted that Genesis and Proverbs were the "oldest books in existence." Clueless. Yet he claimed to be "well versed" in his church's doctrines and history.

Many ex-mos (including me) "studied" our way out of the cult. It was when we decided to go find out facts, instead of the pap being spoon-fed to us, that we got out. I find that to be similar with ex-Catholics, too -- they learn the most about the church's history on the way out or after leaving.

Buddhism *might* be the exception, but I'd still suggest that learning about Buddhism FROM Buddhists covers what Buddhists want you to know -- not a complete history.

Posted by: Hail Odin ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:11PM

I agree with this. I know a former SDA, who is now a born again evangelical or whatever he calls himself, that doesn't really know anything about the history of Christianity, SDA history, Roman church history, he doesn't know any Hebrew or Jewish history. He doesn't know what the Talmud is. All he knows is what the Bible tells him, and that the Jews are "God's people"

I also know an evangelical Pastor, who doesn't know any of the above mentioned history, also had never been to theology school, doesn't hold a degree, but is still leading a church. I asked him about Mithras, Constantine, Christianity being spread by violence and political thuggery. Doesn't know a thing, but has lots of members of his church and brings home a really good salary.

Mormons don't know much about Judaism either.

I used to think it was just Mormons, but the average Christian doesn't know very much about Christianity.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:00PM

Looking back on myself as a TBM and watching my still-TBM wife, it's clear to me that Mormonism is just a life of checking off boxes. My wife 'studies' the scriptures every day, but all she's REALLY doing is patting herself on the back for 20 or 30 minutes each day for being such a good girl. She prepares her primary lessons and her little VT messages, but there doesn't seem to be any thinking going on. It's just doing, no thinking.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 09:27PM

"It's just doing, no thinking."

Good insight.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 21, 2015 01:02AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It's just doing, no thinking."
>
> Good insight.

That's why they changed one crucial word in "I Am a Child of God" doncha know?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:51PM

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:11PM

Right on doc...to me its amazing how little trite sound bits so effectively anestitize sp the flock...leaders cant lead astray...thinking been done...the mantle is far greater...dont question leaders even if the peckerheads are dead wrong...yadda yadda...a web so nicely woven very few will question..fewer even feel the need cuz gawd...i do stand all amazed...just for a different reason than mos...its almost worn like a badge of honor to follow so blindly armored only with another bs idea..faith

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:24PM

Why do the mormons use the KJV version of the bible? 500 year old english can be difficult to follow.

Anybody tried to read Shakespeare recently? Unless you study and learn the language you have know idea what they are saying.

Taming of the Shrew - First Act. The first bit that I have no clue what they are saying.

Huntsman, I charge thee, tender well my hounds:
Brach Merriman, the poor cur is emboss'd;
And couple Clowder with the deep--mouth'd brach.
Saw'st thou not, boy, how Silver made it good
At the hedge-corner, in the coldest fault?
I would not lose the dog for twenty pound.

Most people rely on the translation of their preachers. They don't know enough not to take it at face value. How is a 18 year old kid supposed to know anything.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 09:20PM

I'm guessing he's asking a guy to watch over his dogs. Warns him that they're marked or branded and flipped him some cash to make sure they didn't 'disappear' anyway?

How'd I do?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 11:13PM

No fair! You were inspired by the spirit!

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 21, 2015 12:53AM

You must be a prophet of the Almighty bard!!

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:33PM

Just from conversations I've had with family members... They seem to just trust that the "church" will tell them what they need to know, and that what they hear there is the truth. The full truth.

One family member was convinced that mainstream anthropology proved that the BOM was historically and factually "true". That same family member also had no clue that there was anything in the D&C that indicated that the earth is only a few thousand years old. They thought that there was no conflict between actual science or history and the BOM. Because that's what they "learn" at church. Pap is right. They didn't know that there was anything to study... They did really think "they've heard it all".

My advice as an exmo to TBM's is usually the same advice they get from their bishops. Read. Your. Scriptures. Go ahead and pray about them, too, if you want. Just be sure to *think* about them as well.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 12:39PM

When The Godmakers came out, my sister was very TBM. She said she wanted to see it, but a guy in her ward who had served a mission said he went to see it and it was all lies.

My sister's rationale was that he was a missionary so he knew more than the average bear about what Mormons really teach. After all, he spent time in a classroom learning all the doctrine.

So she didn't feel it was worth taking the time to see.

Wish I knew then what I know now. Sister would have gotten an earful about what missionaries learn.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 20, 2015 11:39PM

I think many of you made good points. My Catholic friend might be the exception to the general rule too. She knows about Catholic doctrine, not so much about history.
Catholic doctrine (when it changes) changes slowly. The CULT doctrine changes about as often as people change their socks.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:57PM

To paraphrase Steely Dan:

The long weeks at the MTC
Won't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 08:11PM

The way we sang it when it first came out and DOM was profit:

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must KNOW
To live with him someday

SWK then came along and it was changed to:

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must DO
To live with him someday

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.