Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 04:07PM

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/13/opinions/hertzberg-mormon-lgbtq/index.html

Their cutesy little "policy" change has made them look like bigots against their own people. They haven't seen articles openly attacking them like this since the darkest days of their fight for racism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 04:30PM

Good article. It's nice to see it quote Luke 16:18 and the 2nd Article of Faith in bringing to light the sheer hypocrisy of this policy.

The "Old Ship Zion" is taking on more water.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 04:35PM

Bingo!
Not to mention the tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars they spend on PR. That PR is to show the members how special they are & to keep the rest of the world from finding out how creepy & fraudulent they are.
These "slip ups" regarding SSM kids & the stupid Utah judge's ruling just set them back 30 years. Plus, a lot of people are wondering how could a church, led by a prophet with a direct connection to a perfect God, get things sooo wrong.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 04:41PM

I was very happy to see the "clarification" signed by the 1st presidency. This document will define the historical legacy of these three liars forever more.

It will join the infamous negro/priesthood and polygamy 1st presidency statements.

The hubris here is truly astonishing

Without any changes this crazy policy will make it difficult or impossible for any mormon to run for office outside of Utah, Meridian, ID or Gilbert, AZ.

Any high profile position or public relations sensitive post will be off limits to mormons.

Association leadership
Trade groups
International bodies
Judgeships
CEO slots
Journalists
etc, etc.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 05:14PM

And don't forget....

TSCC must get permission to build chapels, stake centers and temples by getting permits cleared through local government agencies and city councils. Such councils could DENY LDS INC. any building permit to expand their empire based on this new policy of discrimination.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 03:38PM

That is, until the local government agencies and city councils are enticed by the Morg's seemingly limitless supply of cash.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 05:11PM

from google:
disingenuous
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical
"that innocent, teary-eyed look is just part of a disingenuous act"

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 05:36PM

So called GA: "Stay in the boat?"

Mormon: Are you freakin crazy? I don't care if you are a GA,
when a boat is taking on this much water and about to sink,
I've have to be a complete idiot to "stay in the boat."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 05:39PM by heretic.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:06PM

heretic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've have to be a complete idiot to "stay in the
> boat."

or a complete MORmON

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:02PM

rodolfo said - "I was very happy to see the "clarification" signed by the 1st presidency."

I missed something it looks like.... what clarification was signed by the 1st presidency and what did it clarify?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:05PM

What a huge Ouch for the morg! The comments aren't too happy with the morg either!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:08PM

I'd like to see Mitt try to run now :)

And all that money spent on "I'm a Mormon"? Down the drain.

Date: November 13, 2015 06:27PM

Imagine the shit storm if Mitt was the potus!!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:35PM

first time I've ever thought I'd say "I wish he had won"

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 06:09PM

Wow. What a statement in the article:

"One choice is to accept the disingenuous justification their religious authorities have offered and attempt to explain away the obvious theological contradictions. Mormons unfortunately have considerable experience doing this."

The press has their name and number, don't they?

Date: November 13, 2015 06:26PM

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 11:27PM

Yep, anyone else think Gordon B. Hinckley is rolling in his grave about now?

Posted by: fischmama4 ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 12:14PM

Oh my gosh I've been thinking this for days!!!

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 08:55AM

Well, there was the "stir" in the church at the bank collapse, then again when Joseph and Hyrum lost the gun battle. Then the MMM, The racism, and now the homophobia. I think we can say they stirred and now they are shaking. Feel free to add to list of tumbles CultCo keeps taking. How long will the fizz stay in water?

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 09:41AM

So you have the free agency to accept their message unless your guardians are homosexuals...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 10:00AM

They look ridiculous.

I especially like use of the word "ministry" in the last sentence in the letter (May the Lord continue to bless you in your ministry).

Ministry was not the common verbiage back when I was a member. They want to talk like Protestants more and more.

Once again they have proven that "God's inspiration" follows PR public pressure. They are a giant joke.

"Clarification" my rear. They mean backpedaling.

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 12:36PM

Exactly. In the "interview" hosted by the PR guy, E. Christofferson described his calling as a ministry. That struck me as odd as well.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 14, 2015 11:13PM

Was my mission a 'ministry'? Was I a minister?

I just looked up Draft Board exemptions during the Vietnam War. I was a IV-D:

IV-D: Minister of religion or divinity student

I WAS a minister!!! Technically that deferment should have ended after my first year; I did no ministering my second year. I wonder if any MPs used the threat of sending a missionary home to be drafted if he didn't perform better?

The Broadway play, BofM, has done way more to put a fright wig and funny glasses on mormonism than just about anything. The recent stumbles of the children of gay parents thing and the TBM Utah judge who thought a baby was in danger being cared for by a gay couple are just icing on the cake.

People who are really hurting for one reason or another will continue to be hunted down and captured by missionaries, but these unfortunate individuals are only 25% likely to remain active.

And there isn't much we can do about the BIC birth rate; getting those kids out is pretty much a function of just how inquisitive and observant they grow up to be.

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 01:21AM

Not to worry about PR!

They'll just buy some more!

Date: November 15, 2015 03:36AM

I am probably going to get in trouble for saying this, but I am going to say it any way, because I really believe it, and IF MORmONS are entitled to their BS MORmON opinions including advocating the soul sucking life raping MORmON religion, including bullying little kids, then I should be able to state my opinion too, even if it cuts into the veneer of (NON EXISTENT) MORmON decency.

I'd bet that LD$ Inc leaders were actually pleased with the news coming out of France, because it would be something to take the focus off of their latest bully the children PR fiasco.
Just like the cigarette companies, LD$ Inc sucks the life out of their MORmON members, one day at a time. The guys running LD$ Inc have NO decency. Human life really means nothing to them except as fodder to keep their MORmON scam rolling and to keep them profiting from god fraud. The lives lost in France mean NOTHING to them except as the current PR dodge for their own obscene religion based blunders. If any of the Francs that were killed had gold fillings, then LD$ Inc would gladly have them removed before they are buried in order to generate some MORe MONey funds for LD$ Inc, if they could do it on the sly. IF Dumb ASS ASSpostHOLE James Faust was still alive, he would do it and then brag about it. That is the LD$ Inc MOReMONey bottom line in action.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 04:56PM

I agree Smirkorama. It's almost a PR basic. Find a "bad news day" to smuggle out some other bad news that they've been keeping for the right time.

Governments and... corporations are very adept at this. Here the corporation known as TSCC has just been "lucky", but I agree that the heat must be kept on them.

The US is still their heartland (I presume?), and this nasty exclusive move is so insensitive and untimely that it just might tarnish the image of the the whole LDS farce, so the pressure needs to be kept on them.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 04:56PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 10:09AM

+1 to smirkorama's comments. I agree entirely that the LDS-Inc. is corrupt, only thinks of the bottom line which is, "how much money will it make us," and only cares about themselves.

Hell, they even threw their own way under the bus with this latest bullying of theirs[. In each of their families, there are LGBT members somewhere in their heritage.

Yeah, they sooooo put families first------ha, ha, ha, ha, haaaa.

Date: November 15, 2015 06:24PM

thank you, to you and Tom in Paris. Thanks

Posted by: Gointahail ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 12:45PM

Looks like bro Hertzberg is going to be getting a letter from the local brethren for a little meeting. I'd be interested to see what actions against him by the Morg this will lead to.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 12:51PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They
> haven't seen articles openly attacking them like
> this since the darkest days of their fight for
> racism.

Yep.

And like 1978, as soon as their homophobic stance costs them big bucks, the still small voice will visit the 15, changes will be made to catch them up with decency, and then everyone will do their best to pretend it never happened in the first place.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 01:16PM

These comments are excerpted from the comments section below the Salt Lake Tribune article about people resigning. TBMs are saying:

in a world of spineless moral ambiguity, one has to admire the church’s willingness to draw some very clear lines in the sand.
—————-
I know hundreds of people inside the Church who support the new policy. I guess that trumps the “several” Mormons you know who are disappointed.
—————-
The only Hate group involved, is the LGBT community and their hate for anything that follows the word of God!
—————
I am so sick of LGBT community demanding that we all think and believe what they do! LGBT should leave the Church and then leave them alone. […] Mormons are content to leave LGBT people alone. The hate mongers and witch hunters are all on the LGBT side. How about some tolerance for religious people who follow God’s law?

[end excerpts from comments section]

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3178894-155/hundreds-rally-against-new-mormon-policy

I think we can see that the winnowing process is leaving behind some hardcore prejudices.

Date: November 15, 2015 01:19PM

Proof that mormon leaders have undone all of their recent PR efforts. I guess they could waste some more money on PR, but I don't think they can recover.

Text from Salt Lake Tribune article:

"More than 1,000 inactive and active Mormons — along with their backers — rallied in City Creek Park on Saturday to protest the LDS Church’s recent policy decisions involving same-sex couples and their children.

"Many who attended the Salt Lake City event brought rainbow flags in support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. They also hoisted signs with slogans such as “LDS: Love Doesn’t Separate.”

"At one of several tables, attorney Mark Naugle helped Mormons expedite their paperwork to resign their memberships in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their forms were then dropped into a file box, which was rapidly filling 90 minutes after the event began, for mailing to nearby LDS Church headquarters to have those members’ names removed from the faith’s rolls. […]"

[end text from article]

There is a good, short video at the link.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3178894-155/hundreds-rally-against-new-mormon-policy

Date: November 15, 2015 04:36PM

Excerpt from the comments below the Salt Lake Tribune article:

"Might be a good policy in a broader sense. .Could lead to decline in members of that church. Which could decrease its political influence in this state. And make Utah more normal. Perhaps make the legislature more representative of all the people. Leading to a central (that is, State) government less oppressive of the rights of cities, counties, and actual individual people who disagree with that church's restrictions." [posted by "printreader"]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.