Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 12:36PM

Has anyone known of Mormons in the Morridor involved with the Mafia?

I ask because my late stepfather was one. He as much admitted it to me in the months preceding his death.

He was involved with organized crime in the Ogden, Utah area, between there and Nevada.

When he and my mom were dating I was still living with her in Ogden. We'd go to his house and hang out at his swimming pool. One of his gangster friends came over one time while I was visiting, and they schmoozed over cigars while discussing business.

My radar went off then, and I believed he was. Then after he brought it up in one of our last conversations before he died, I knew he was.

So I'm just curious if anyone else has had Mormon relatives living lives of crime aside of practicing the Black Magic of Moism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 12:49PM

Stepfather #4 of #5 and counting of my relatives did at least 5 years for mortgage fraud, forgery... That was a light sentence for all he could have done time for. I don't know about any mob connections but fraud, MLM fraud, duping RMs into jobs with non-existent commission... is still thriving in Mormonism. Affinity fraud.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 12:57PM

The so-called mormon mafia that I know is the group affiliated with Summa Corp in the Las Vegas heyday in the late 60's, early 70's. They were a fun bunch...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 01:01PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:00PM

...some additional info;...from various sources.

...Summa Corp. was the financial umbrella under which most of Hughes' worth was contained.

When word of the Glomar Explorer vessel that Hughes built at the behest of the Central Intelligence Agency, became public, Summa had Frank (Bill) Gay at the helm. Hughes also had deep connections with the US gov't, and was afforded major aerospace contracts in the late 60'early 70's. 40%+ of all the US satellites (telecom/weather etc. were built by Hughes Space and Communications Div.

Nearly all of Hughes' holdings were under the Summa corp. umbrella. . . . Its board of directors (Hughes is not a member) consisted of Frank W. (Bill) Gay, . . . Chestor Davis, . . . Nadine Henley . . . and John Holmes and Lester Mylar, two of Hughes personal assistants who remained with him and who are among the few individuals ever to see him face to face.

Bill Gay, an active Latter-day Saint, Gay has served as a stake high councilman, member of the General Sunday School Board, and was on the board of directors and vice-chairman of the executive committee of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii. . . . he served on the BYU National Advisory Council and its executive committee associated with the College of Business.

"The guys you have to talk to are the five who live with him and are the only ones who ever see him. You might as well have a chat with the Sphinx. These guys are hired and paid by Frank W. (Bill) Gay, who was a young Mormon student at U.C.L.A. when Hughes hired him. . . . It was Gay who built up the security capsule that surrounded Hughes."

"Hughes is supposed to prefer Mormon employees in key spots in his security network because they don't drink or smoke. Further, their religion includes strong drives for submission to authority. Besides, Bill Gay, a Mormon likes to hire Mormons. . . . Three of the five executive assistants are Mormons and a fourth is married to a Mormon. . . . Only the insiders knew all five of these men, who shuttled mysteriously around Las Vegas for four years. . . . One, Howard Eckersley, commuted from Salt Lake City where he kept his family. Before the big flight, their names were known only to a handful. Now Eckersley and Myler have been photographed and their pictures are in the files of every major news agency in the world. They are both Mormons. So is George Francom. Roy Crawford is Presbyterian, married to a Mormon. John Holmes is a Catholic. . . . I wondered how these fellows could serve a demanding boss like Hughes and still find time for the work load of being a Mormon Church official. Myler and I talked about it and he said it took a lot of doing. (Esquire, July, 1971, pp. 65, 67 and 73)"

...Bill Gays' kid Robert also worked for Romney at Bain, and was often cited when Romney launched a "search" for the 14 yr. old missing girl in 96.

...In his book The Real Howard Hughes, Stanton O'Keefe gives this interesting information:

"Hughes remained isolated on the ninth floor of the Desert Inn throughout everything that went on. The only members of his staff with whom he had personal face-to-face contact were the five secretary-nurses of his so-called "Mormon Mafia."

"They tended to all his needs and maintained the sophisticated communications center. Although Hughes obviously watched television and read newspapers to keep abreast of developments, the "Mormon Mafia" were literally his only real contact with the outside world. (The Real Howard Hughes Story, page 189)"

"The headquarters, message center and general command post of Hughes' spy network and secret empire is an unimposing two-story beige stucco building in downtown Los Angeles.

The Romaine Street headquarters is a nerve center of the finest and most sophisticated electronic equipment available in the espionage field. Various warning devices can spot any attempt to intrude anywhere in the building.

The selection of employees to work in the building involves more screening and investigation than the CIA uses in selecting its agents.

An asphalt parking lot on one side of the building is staffed by expressionless young Mormon men. There are noticeable bulges under the arms of their jackets.

Like his own living quarters, the Romaine Street building is staffed primarily by Mormons."

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:12PM

Robert Christopher Gay, son of Frank William Gay is a member of 1Q70...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 05:12PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Bobbi ( )
Date: September 10, 2016 05:39PM

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:11PM

While I have a feeling that the Mafia (Mostly Catholic) is probably very leery and suspicious of Mormons, I can't help but notice how in some ways the LDS church acts like its own mob. Think about it! The Strengthning Membership Committee designed to spy on wayward members; the threats and actual ex-communication of members who the church leadership fear will expose the church's dirty laundry; and the arguments over tithing settlements, among other things, certainly have counterpart behaviors in the actual Mafia.

Date: November 06, 2015 05:19PM

And too a dictatorship, with a despot at the helm.

After the proclamation was made today against children, I'm more convinced than ever the church is/was and will always be flim flam, trying to be something it never was.

Date: November 06, 2015 01:42PM

I missed a "Mormon Mafia" thread from September.

Here, a poster provides some knowledge that a Mormon Mafia does indeed exist of currently active members.

My step-dad was inactive when I knew him. What we commonly referred to back in my former Utah and Idaho days as a Jack Mormon.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1680333,1680411#msg-1680411

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.