Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:22AM

Part 1

We are talking (or chanting), of course, about Joseph Smith's occult-rooted, astrology-driven, sex-obsessed possession of folk magic instruments of influence that he ungainfully employed in his practice of his "divinely-revealed" frontier brand of primitive pagan Mormonism (otherwise known today as "LDS," for "Lizards, Dowsers and Spirits").

Hate to spill the beans (or the blood) but time to dive into the spooky witchcraft world of Mormonism's occultic origins!
_____

--First, the Mormon Church Denounces Smith's Own Occult Mormon Practices

Indeed, by the LDS Church’s own denunciations of what it regards as the sinful practices of magic, astrology and occultism, its founder Joseph Smith was, well, a Devil-deluded sinner.

Indeed, the LDS Church’s own “Encyclopedia of Mormonism” sternly warns against belief in or practice of magic. In its on-line version of an article entitled, “Improper Channels: Astrology, Fortune-Telling and the Occult,” it declares:

“’Magic’ anciently implied something akin to sorcery, and modern definitions retain this sense as well as a host of other meanings that have accrued around the term over many years and from many cultures. . . .

“Latter-day Saints reject magic as a serious manipulation of nature and are advised to avoid any practice that claims supernatural power apart from the priesthood and spiritual gifts of the Church (see Devils; Satanism). They are also counseled against using any fortune-telling devices. Both so-called white and black magic can be Satanic.”

The on-line version goes on to specifically condemn astrology and the occult (along with divination, fortune-telling and Ouija boards), favorably quoting apostle Bruce R. McConkie:

“A form of divination and fortune telling akin to sorcery, astrology is a pseudo science that pretends to divulge the influence of the stars upon human affairs; it is a false science that claims to foretell earthly events by means of the positions and aspects of these heavenly luminaries.

"It is, of course, one of Satan's substitutes for the true science of astronomy and for the true principle of receiving revelation of future events from divine sources. Ancient uninspired peoples were frequently deluded by the snares of the astrologers among them . . . . but it is difficult to understand why people in modern and supposedly enlightened and civilized nations should submit to these same stargazing absurdities.

"Enlightened people in and out of the Church shun them for the abominations they are.”

The “Encyclopedia of Mormonism” further commendably cites McConkie’s condemnation of “occultism,” which he denounces as "the hidden and mysterious powers subject to the control of those who engage in divination, alchemy, astrology, sorcery and magic.

"Practice of occultism in any form is contrary to revealed truth and should be avoided.”

(Janet Thomas, “Magic,” in “Encyclopedia of Mormonism,” print edition, vol. 2 [New York, New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1992], pp. 849-50; “Improper Channels: Astrology, Fortune-Telling and the Occult,” in "Encyclopedia of Mormonism," on-line edition, at: http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/prayer/improper_channels.htm ; and Bruce R. McConkie, “Mormon Doctrine,” 2nd edition [Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1966], pp. 56, 542)
_____

--Joseph Smith Apparently Didn't Get the Mormon Anti-Magic Memo

The trouble with the "modern" Mormon opposition to occult magic is, of course, that Mormonism's founding magic man, Joseph Smith,, was himself a believer in and practitioner of the unholy hocus-pocus of the occult, as well as of anti-scripture astrology.

Witness his until-death embrace of his magical, planetary-powered (and -empowering) "Jupiter talisman.”

(For front-and-back photographs of Smith's Jupiter talisman, as well as photographs of other early Mormon leader magical implements--including Hyrum Smith's magic dagger, Brigham Young's bloodstone amulet, drawings of "Magic Circles," etc., click through "Occult Origins of Mormonism - PPT Presentation," at: http://www.powershow.com/view/ddaa-YmZiM/Occult_Origins_of_Mormonism_flash_ppt_presentation)

None other than Reed C. Durham, former director of the LDS Institute of Religion at the University of Utah and prior president of the Mormon History Association, acknowledged as much (and much to the chagrin of Mormon Church leadership).

As Bill McKeever writes in his analysis, "Masonic Influence in the Endowment Ceremony":

"It is no secret that Smith was infatuated with occultic practices. Durham states:

“'All available evidence suggests that Joseph Smith the prophet possessed a magical Masonic medallion or talisman, which he worked during his lifetime and which was evidently on his person when he was martyred.'

". . . Durham describes this as 'perhaps the strangest, the most mysterious, occult-like, esoteric, and yet Masonically-oriented practice ever adopted by Joseph Smith.'"

(Reed Durham, "Is There No Help for the Widow's Son?," presidential address, Mormon History Association Convention, Nauvoo Hotel, Nauvoo, Illinois, 20 April 1974, at: http://www.mormonismi.net/temppeli/durhamin_puhe1974.shtml; and Bill McKeever, "Masonic Influence in the Endowment Ceremony," at: http://www.mrm.org/topics/the-mormon-temple/masonic-influence-endowment-ceremony)

The evidence of Smith's obsession with folk occultic magic, as manifested by his personal possession of a Jupiter talisman, is overwhelming and incontrovertible, as demonstrated by Jerald and Sandra Tanner in their book, "The Changing World of Mormonism" (Chapter 4, "Joseph Smith and Money-Digging").

Interestingly enough, what had initially been identified as Smith's Masonic talisman ended up, in actuality, being a magic one, instead.

Again, Durham’s damning discoveries are cited:

"In 1974, Dr. Reed Durham . . . made a discovery that was so startling that it caused great consternation among Mormon scholars and officials.

"Dr. Durham found that what had previously been identified as the 'Masonic jewel of the Prophet Joseph Smith' was in reality a 'Jupiter talisman.'

"This is a medallion which contains material relating to astrology and magic. Dr. Durham, apparently not realizing the devastating implications of his discovery, announced this important find in his presidential address before the Mormon History Association on April 20, 1974:

"'. . . I should like to initiate all of you into what is perhaps the strangest, the most mysterious, occult-like esoteric, and yet Masonically-oriented practice ever adopted by Joseph Smith. . . .

"'All available evidence suggests that Joseph Smith the Prophet possessed a magical Masonic medallion, or talisman, which he worked during his lifetime and which was evidently on his person when he was martyred. His talisman is in the shape of a silver dollar and is probably made of silver or tin.

"'It is exactly one and nine-sixteenths in diameter, . . . the talisman,. . . originally purchased from the Emma Smith Bidamon family, fully notarized by that family to be authentic and to have belonged to Joseph Smith, can now be identified as a Jupiter talisman.

"'It carries the sign and image of Jupiter and should more appropriately be referred to as the Table of Jupiter. And in some very real and quite mysterious sense, this particular Table of Jupiter was the most appropriate talisman for Joseph Smith to possess.

"'Indeed, it seemed meant for him, because on all levels of interpretation: planetary, mythological, numerological, astrological, mystical cabalism, and talismatic magic, the Prophet was, in every case, appropriately described.

"'The characters on the talisman are primarily in Hebrew, but there is one inscription in Latin. Every letter in the Hebrew alphabet has a numerical equivalent and those numerical equivalents make up a magic square. By adding the numbers in this Jupiter Table in any direction . . . the total will be the same. In this case, on the Jupiter Table, 34. . . .

"'There is the one side of the talisman belonging to the Prophet Joseph Smith. You can see the Hebrew characters . . . you see on the margins, at the bottom is the Jupiter sign. . . . The cross at the top represents the spirit of Jupiter, and you will see the path of Jupiter in the orbit of the heavens, and then again the Jupiter sign.

"'I wasn't able to find what this was, for--as I said--two months; and finally, in a magic book printed in England in 1801, published in America in 1804, and I traced it to Manchester, and to New York.

"'It was a magic book by Francis Barrett and, lo and behold, how thrilled I was when I saw in his list of magic seals the very talisman which Joseph Smith had in his possession at the time of his martyrdom. . . .

"'To the Egyptians, Jupiter was known as Ammon, but to the Greeks he was Zeus: the ancient sky Father, or Father of the Gods. . . .

"'In astrology, Jupiter is always associated with high positions, getting one's own way, and all forms of status. And I quote: "Typically a person born under Jupiter will have the dignity of a natural ruler. . . . He will probably have an impressive manner. . . . In physical appearance, the highly developed Jupiterian is strong, personable, and often handsome. . . . the Jupiterian influence produces a cheerful winning personality, capable of great development." . . .

"'So closely is magic bound up with the stars and astrology that the term astrologer and magician were in ancient times almost synonymous. The purpose of the Table of Jupiter in talismanic magic was to be able to call upon the celestial intelligences, assigned to the particular talisman, to assist one in all endeavors. The names of the deities which we gave to you, who could be invoked by the Table were always written on the talisman or represented by various numbers. Three such names were written on Joseph Smith's talisman: Abbah, Father; El Ob, Father is God or God the Father; and Josiphiel, Jehovah speaks for God, the Intelligence of Jupiter.

"'When properly invoked, with Jupiter being very powerful and ruling in the heavens, these intelligences—by the power of ancient magic—guaranteed to the possessor of this talisman the gain of riches, and favor, and power, and love and peace; and to confirm honors, and dignities, and councils.

"'Talismatic magic further declared that any one who worked skillfully with this Jupiter Table would obtain the power of stimulating anyone to offer his love to the possessor of the talisman, whether from a friend, brother, relative, or even any female.'

[see also, David C. Martin, "Mormon Miscellaneous,” vol. 1, no. 1, October 1975, pp.14-15]

". . . Durham was severely criticized by Mormon scholars and officials for giving this speech. He was even called in by Mormon President Spencer W. Kimball, and finally found it necessary to issue a letter in which he reaffirmed his faith in Joseph Smith and said that he was sorry for the 'concerns, and misunderstandings' that the speech had caused."

Indeed, the Tanners cite Richard Steven Marshall's claim that in an interview on 11 April 1977, Durham told him, "I had to write that. They wanted me to bear my testimony. I hadn't done that in my talk. They had me do that so people would know where I stood."

In addition, two letters from Durham (now part of the the Reed C. Durham collection in the possession of the University of Utah's Marriott Library Manuscript Division) deal with his controversial address to the Mormon History Association regarding Smith's Jupiter talisman. According to a synopsis of those letters, one addresses "concern that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints . . . may view his address as contrary to the views of the LDS Church," while "[t]he other, written to Durham from David Buerger, expresses Buerger's interest in obtaining more information concerning Durham's address. A reply from Durham is written on the second page, telling Buerger he has been asked by [Mormon] Church authorities 'to do no more with the subject again' and 'not to release information.'"

Mormon apologists, of course, have attempted to downplay Durham's assessment that Smith was a practitioner of occultic magic, going so far as to claim that Durham has since retracted his pronouncements about Smith having possessed the Jupiter talisman. Yet, Durham's repositioning on that issue appeared to have been more of a Mormon Church-coerced "reaffirmation" of his personal testimony regarding Mormonism and Joseph Smith than it was a retraction.

In that regard, writer Nick Literski has taken the LDS apologist franchise FAIR to task on a number of its claims discussing “Joseph Smith and the ‘Occult.’"

(see: "Joseph Smith and the Cccult/Jupiter Talisman," at: http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith_and_Jupiter_talisman)

Writes Literski:

"This [FAIR] page has a number of significant errors and over-simplifications. If it is the desire of FAIR to 'defend the truth' against critics of the LDS church, they would do well to be extremely careful in terms of what claims THEY make."

Specifically, Literski challenges "[FAIR's claim of] Dr. Reed Durham 'subsequently distancing himself' from remarks made in his 1974 Mormon History Association presidential address":

"The fact is, Durham was forced to write a re-affirmation of his testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and to assure CES personnel that his remarks were not intended to suggest otherwise."

Durham, Literski notes, paid a heavy price for his speech:

"Durham never taught another Church history class, due to the fallout from his speech. I would also advise against making this claim about Dr. Durham [distancing himself from Smith's Jupiter talisman], because [a future book Literski is in the process of writing] will contain further unpublished information on the subject, which will frankly make such statements rather embarassing. Let’s just say that after the initial shock, not everyone in Church leadership was quite as upset as is commonly supposed."

(Nick Literski, post on "Search for the Truth, Anti-Mormon DVD," at: http://www.millennialstar.org/2007/03/24/search-for-the-truth-anti-mormon-dvd/)

Nonetheless, the FAIR page referenced above quotes Durham expressing later regrets abour certain aspects of his April 1974 Jupiter talisman speech. Though they do not constitute an uncondititional retraction, they do represent a skin-back for Durham, who appears to have been brought to heel:

"I now wish I had presented some of my material differently. For instance, at the present time, after checking my data, I find no primary evidence that Joseph Smith ever possessed a Jupiter Talisman. The source for my comment was a second-hand, late source. It came from Wilford Wood, who was told it by Charlie Bidamon, who was told it by his father, Lewis Bidamon, who was Emma’s second husband and non-Mormon not too friendly to the LDS Church.

"So the idea that the Prophet had such a talisman is highly questionable."

(Reed C. Durham, as quoted in Gilbert W. Scharffs, "The Truth about ‘The God Makers'" [Salt Lake City, Utah: Publishers Press, 1989; republished by Bookcraft, 1994], p. 180)

The fact remains that Smith's talisman can be viewed, with all of its occultic, astrological meanings which can be clearly linkable to the published work of Francis Barrett on occultic beliefs and practices. To be sure, occult practitioner Christopher Warnock identifies "Magnus" author Barrett as one of "a few brave scholars who carried on the occult traditions of the Renaissance" pertaining to the study of "astrology, alchemy and magic"--and whose work served to impact the occultic views of Joseph Smith:

"Barrett's book . . . played a significant role in one of the most interesting discoveries and subsequent controversies involving Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormons or Church of Latter Day Saints and in the process provides a photograph of Smith's Jupiter talisman:

"In 1974 Dr. Reed C. Durham, a Mormon and noted scholar of Mormon history gave a lecture entitled, 'Is There No Help for the Widow's Son?' Durham revealed a medal worn by Joseph Smith and long thought to be a Masonic emblem was, in fact, a talisman of Jupiter. Smith's talisman appears [here, on Warnock's site].

"What is interesting to note is that Smith's Jupiter talisman is almost identical to the example given by Barrett [also depicted]. This format is not provided in either Agrippa's Latin original nor the English translation of 1651 by John Freake. The illustration in the English translation appears [here, on Warnock's site]. Note the break in the seal which seems to be a printer's error and does not appear in the Latin original though it is faithfully copied in 'The Magus' and Smith's talisman.

"Not surprisingly this discovery caused an immense amount of controversy as opponents of Mormonism seized on it to attack the LDS Church with charges of occultism and magic and LDS adherents attempted to undermine the significance and provenance of the talisman. As a practitioner of occult philosophy I had a somewhat different reaction to the talisman. Rather than seeing the use of magic and astrology as evidence against Joseph Smith I had greater respect for him and the coherence of his world view.

"That being said I have no desire to be drawn into the battle that still rages concerning Joseph Smith, occult philosophy and the Church of Latter Day Saints. My interest here is in the diffusion and survival of talismanic magic after the Enlightenment."

(Christopher Warnock, "Barrett and Joseph Smith," at: http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/barrett.html#A ; and Warnock, "Renaissance Astrology Contact Page," at: http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/contact.html ; for another photograph of Smith's "personal Jupiter Talisman," see also, "Joseph Smith: The Early Years," by Sandra Tanner, at: http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no114.htm and http://www.utlm.org/images/newsletter /114/114smithjupitertalisman_large.gif)

In the end, the Tanners describe “Dr. Durham's identification of Joseph Smith's talisman . . . [as] one of the most significant discoveries in Mormon history," noting that "he should be commended for his research."

The Tanners then go on to draw the occultic noose around Smith's neck in the larger scene of Smith's magical schemes:

"That Joseph Smith would own such a magic talisman fits very well with the evidence from his 1826 trial. W. D. Purple, who was an eye-witness to the trial, claimed it was reported that Smith said certain talismanic influences were needed to recover a box of treasure:

"'Mr. Thompson, an employee of Mr. Stowell, was the next witness. . . . Smith had told the Deacon that very many years before a band of robbers had buried on his flat a box of treasure, and as it was very valuable they had by a sacrifice placed a charm over it to protect it, so that it could not be obtained except by faith, accompanied by certain talismanic influences. . . . the box of treasure was struck by the shovel, on which they redoubled their energies, but it gradually receded from their grasp. One of the men placed his hand upon the box, but it gradually sunk from his reach. . . . Mr. Stowell went to his flock and selected a fine vigorous lamb, and resolved to sacrifice it to the demon spirit who guarded the coveted treasure . . . but the treasure still receded from their grasp, and it was never obtained.'

("The Chenango Union," Norwich, New York, 3 May 1877, as cited in "A New Witness For Christ In America," vol. 2, pp.366-67).

"Dr. Durham was unable to determine just when Joseph Smith obtained his talisman, but the fact that he was recommending 'certain talismanic influences' around the time of the 1826 trial is certainly interesting.

"The Jupiter talisman is probably the type of talisman a money digger would be interested in because it was supposed to bring its possessor 'the gain of riches, and favor, and power.'

"Regardless of when Joseph Smith obtained his talisman, we do know that he possessed it up to the time of his death.

"He must have felt that it was very important because the Mormon scholar LaMar C. Berrett reveals that 'This piece was in Joseph Smith's pocket when he was martyred at Carthage Jail'

("The Wilford C. Wood Collection," 1972, vol. 1, p.173).

"Wesley P. Walters says that 'Charles E. Bidamon, who sold the talisman to the [William C.] Wood collection [Wood was a Mormon collector who acquired the relic from Bidamon], stated in his accompanying affidavit:

"’Emma Smith Bidamon, the prophet's widow, was my foster mother. She prized this piece very highly on account of its being one of the prophet's intimate possessions.' (Charles E. Bidamon Affidavit, in Wood Collection, #7-J-b-21)”

(Jerald and Sandra Tanner, "Joseph Smith and Money-Digging," Chapter 4, in "The Changing World of Mormonism" [Chicago, Illinois: Moody Press, 1981], pp. 88-91, at: http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech4.htm# ; Jerald and Sandra Tanner, "Answering Dr. Clandestine: A Response to the Anonymous LDS Historian," under sub-section "1826 Trial & Smith's Magic Talisman," enlarged addition, November 1978, Utah Lighthouse Ministry, p. 32)

Author Larry Hall, in his essay, "Joseph's Magic Talisman," writes of the supernatural powers that the owners of such a medallion believed it supposedly possessed and again refers to the revealing research of Durham:

"Before the medallion was properly identified, it was known as the 'Masonic Jewel of the Prophet Joseph Smith.' In the shape of a silver dollar, the piece measures exactly 1-9/16 inches in diameter and is probably made of silver or tin . . . . A copy of the Jupiter talisman can be seen in Francis Barrett's occultic book "The Magus," p. 174. . . .

"Apparently, nobody really knew what Joseph Smith's 'Masonic Jewel' was before April 20, 1974. It was on that day that Dr. Reed Durham presented his discovery in his address before the Mormon History Association. . . .

"Dr. Durham was correct. The table, also called the Kamea, can be depicted in either English numbers (as shown in the talisman found in ‘The Magus’) or in Hebrew (as used by Smith). According to Barrett, the table '. . . consists of a square drawn into itself; it contains sixteen particular numbers, and in every line and diameter four, making thirty-four; the sum of all is one hundred and thirty-six. There are over it divine names, with an intelligence to that which is good, and a spirit to bad; and out of it is drawn the character of Jupiter and the spirits thereof; if this is engraven on a plate of silver, with Jupiter being powerful and ruling in the heavens, it conduces to gain riches and favor, love, peace and concord, and to appease enemies, and to confirm honors, dignities, and counsels.'

". . . Durham admitted [that] '. . . in some very real and quite mysterious sense, this particular Table of Jupiter was the most appropriate talisman for Joseph Smith to possess. Indeed, it seemed meant for him, because on all levels of interpretation: planetary, mythological, numerological, astrological, mystical cabalism, and talismatic magic, the Prophet was, in every case, appropriately described. . . . In astrology, Jupiter is always associated with high positions, getting one's own way, and all forms of status . . . Talismatic magic further declared that anyone who worked skillfully with the Jupiter Table would obtain the power of stimulating anyone to offer his love to the possessor of the talisman, whether from a friend, brother, relative, or even any female.' . . .

"The fact that the talisman was on Joseph's person at the time of his death has been absolutely established. Mormon scholar LaMar C. Berrett tells us, 'This piece was in Joseph Smith's pocket when he was martyred at Carthage jail.'

"According to the Charles E. Bidamon affidavit [Emma Smith's stepson] . . . (who sold the talisman to the Wood collection), 'Emma Smith Bidamon, the prophet's widow, was my foster mother. She prized this piece very highly on account of its being one of the prophet's intimate possessions. . . . I certify that I have many times heard her say, when being interviewed and showing the piece, [t]hat it was in the prophet's pocket when he was martyred at Carthage, Illinois.'

"Even though Dr. Durham was a very influential Mormon historian, his honesty regarding the truth behind Joseph Smith's magic talisman must be applauded. It caused him a great deal of difficulty with the Mormon hierarchy, however. . . . "

Allen Harrod, in his article, "Who Was Joseph Smith?," shines further light on Smith's primitive occultic magical beliefs that he held at death, also citing Durham's devastating and Church-disturbing findings;

". . . Durham . . . in a 1974 lecture revealed that at the time of his death Joseph Smith was wearing what was formerly thought to have been a 'Masonic jewel' was actually a 'Jupiter talisman.'

"This proves that Joseph Smith was engaged in occult practices until the end of his life in 1844.

"A talisman is an object engraved with astrological signs believed to have possessed power to avert evil and bring good luck. Such pieces are clearly identified with occult magic. This lecture, although true, brought the wrath of then President Spencer W. Kimball down upon Dr. Durham. The talisman is currently kept in the LDS Archives."

(Allen Harrod, "Who Was Joseph Smith," at: http://www.watchman.org/lds/whoisjosephsmith.htm)

Finally, historian D. Michael Quinn (who was excommunicated from the LDS Church for daring to publish the actual, devious Mormon history of post-1890 Manifesto polygamy) writes in his book, “Early Mormonism and the Magic World View,” (Chapter 3, “Ritual Magic, Astrology and Talismans”) that this supposed "silver pocket piece" which Smith possessed was, in fact, later discovered not to be “a Masonic emblem," but rather, "a silver Jupiter medallion constructed according to the instructions for making 'Magic Seals, or Talismans,' in Barrett's 1801 'The Magus' . . . ."

Quinn describes the appearance of this magic medallion, as well as explains its magical markings:

"On one side of the one-and-a-half-inch diameter Smith medallion . . . are the astrological symbol of Jupiter, the magic seal of Jupiter, the magic sigil [seal] of the Intelligence of Jupiter and the Latin words 'Confirmo O-Deus potentissimus. On the other side . . . are the astrological symbols of Jupiter, Jupiter's magic number 136' and the magic square (or table) of numbers (in Hebrew) that add to 136. To the right of the magic square of Jupiter is the familiar word for father-God 'Abba;' to the left is the Hebrew name for the Intelligence of Jupiter, spelled 'Jophiel' according to Barrett but 'Jophiel' more often, and above the magic square on the Smith medallion is the Hebrew word, with the first character missing for 'El Ab,' God the father. . . ."

Quinn further writes that Bidamon [when he sold this "magic talisman” to Wood, which Bidamon says "he had obtained from Joseph Smith's widow"] also incorrectly “assumed that Smith had kept it as a 'pocket piece.'”

In reality, Quinn points out that the relic was a magic piece, not a mere pocket piece, but an astrological medalltion--citing an article by England’s Royal Numismatic Society which included "photographs of 'a circular engraved talisman of silver, pierced at the top of the suspension,' a slightly chipped version of the Smith medallion. This silver Jupiter talisman of English manufacture . . . included the Hebrew character originally published in Barrett but missing from the Smith talisman. However, it also omitted one character in the magic table (square) found in both Barrett's and Smith's talisman . . . ."

In writing of Smith’s ownership of an astrologically-empowered amulet, Quinn addresses a somewhat vexing issue--namely, that no existing documents describe "Smith's having displayed or used the talisman."

Quinn, however, notes that those who possessed these magical medallions were commanded to keep their presence a secret:

"Magic books instructed that the talisman should be 'worn round the neck' and 'carried on the breast.' Typical use of such an amulet was under the clothing next to the skin of the person seeking it protective powers . . . .

"Thus the Smith talisman, which (like its English counterpart published by the Royal Numismatic Society) has a hole at the edge opposite the astrological symbol of Jupiter, would have been suspended from a chain or ribbon around the neck and would have been intentionally concealed underneath Smith's clothing from anyone's observation."

Mormon apologists have attempted to refute evidence that Smith possessed a magic Jupiter talisman, claiming that the object was not among the inventoried items taken from Smith's pants pocket after he was gunned down in June 1844.

Quinn effectively dispenses with that diversion:

"Even if the inventory listed items removed from Smith's trouser pocket after his death, such a search would not necessarily have revealed a chain amulet of the type passed down in the Bidamon family, unless the shirt were removed from the body. The descendants of Hyrum Smith, who was killed with his brother Joseph in Carthage Jail, retain to this day Hyrum's bullet-riddled clothes . . . , indicating that the two brothers' clothing was not removed from their bodies prior to 28 June, when the bodies were returned to Nauvoo and prepared for burial."

Moreover, Quinn writes:

"Independent evidence verifies Joseph Smith's possession of every other item Bidamon claimed was the prophet's. In view of the unquestioned provenance of every other artifact Bidamon sold to Wood, of his own sworn affidavit, of the fact that Bidamon did not know what the 'silver pocket piece' actually was and of the precise astrological connections between the Jupiter talisman's own birth, it seems to strain the evidence to dispute Bidamon's claims that Smith possessed and valued the Jupiter medallion.

"In fact, the managing editor of the LDS Church's 'Ensign' magazine did not hesitate to affirm Joseph Smith's ownership of this 'silver piece' in a Deseret Book publication of 1969.

"There were no efforts to dispute Joseph Smith's possession of this artifact until after April 1974, when Reed C. Durham, then-director of the LDS Institute of Religion in Salt Lake City, publicly identified the medallion as a magic Jupiter talisman rather than a Masonic jewel . . . ."

Quinn also offers corroborating evidence from the artifact collections of the Mormon Church itself “[i]n support of the view that Joseph Smith valued the governing planet [Jupiter] of his astrological birth to own a Jupiter talisman":

"[S]ince 1985, the LDS Museum of Church History and Art has displayed another artifact linking Mormonism's founder with Jupiter . . . . The museum's permanent exhibition on the presidents of the LDS Church has included a serpent-headed cane inscribed with the initials "J.S." under a carved crown . . . .

"By Joseph Smith's time it was a long-established astrological tradition that the serpent was one of the animals which both Saturn and Jupiter governed . . . . Saturn ruled over Smith's zodiacal birth sign of Capricorn, but Jupiter was the ruling planet of his birth year and of his birth in Capricorn's First Decan.

"The traditional magic world view was that those born in the first degree of Capricorn could ‘soothe poisonous serpents . . . .

Indeed, Quinn notes that “[a]bove the carved crown on Smith’s serpent cane is a symbol that closely resembles the magic seal or sigil of Jupiter . . . . “ He notes that although some “could construe that symbol as a representation of St. Andrew’s cross, there is no other religious motif on the cane (unless one chooses to regard the serpent as a satanic motif, which would not fit with the other motifs at all), and it is doubtful that the carvings of Joseph Smith’s cane would spontaneously remind even the most ardent Christian of the crucifixion.”

Quinn further describes Smith’s astrological Jupiter snake cane in its proper magical context:

“Stylistically, the carving of the serpent’s head (traditionally connected with Joseph Smith’s birth sign of Capricorn and his governing planet Jupiter) flows into three descending symbols carved on that Smith cane: the apparent Jupiter sigil, the crown and the initials ‘J.S.’ . . . Those symbols seem to convey the message: ‘Jupiter—reigns over—Joseph Smith.’ This apparent meaning of the three descending carved symbols on Joseph Smith’s cane is consistent with the cane’s dominant motif of the Jupiter-ruled serpent, with Joseph Smith’s own astrological birth under the governing influence of Jupiter, and with the Jupiter talisman, preserved by Charles Bidamon as one of the prophet’s relics maintained by his widow Emma Smith Bidamon.”

Quinn goes on to identify even more evidence “[i]n connection with the Jupiter talisman,” noting that “a second Joseph Smith medallion has been on display for 80 years in the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is labeled, ‘MASONIC EMBLEM Owned by PROPHET JOSEPH SMITH. Later belonged to BRIGHAM YOUNG. Donor: Zina Y. Card.” Quinn notes that Card “was the daughter of Zina D. Huntington, a plural wife of both Smith and Brigham Young.”

Quinn further notes that this medallion, “[a]lso silver, . . . is dominated by the image of a dove in flight with an olive branch in its beak. . . .”

Quinn argues that “it is possible to assert that, like the Jupiter medallion, the dove medallion probably had no Masonic significance to Smith,” observing that “[t]he librarian of the Masonic Mother Supreme Council of the World has written that ‘the dove is not one of the ordinary symbols in Freemasonry.’" Moreover, Quinn observes that “[t]he executive secretary of the Masonic Service Association of the United States responded to a drawing of Smith’s dove-and-olive-branch emblem: ‘[I]t was an emblem unfamiliar to me.’” Although briefly conferred in early frontier America as only a “’side degree’ to the Royal Arch,” Quinn writes that “the emblem is so little known in America that a Masonic publication in 1945 began an article on the dove with the question: ‘How many of our readers are aware that the dove occupies a high place among our Masonic symbols?’”

Significantly, in not assigning Smith’s dove medallion to regularly-practiced Masonry, Quinn observes that the prescribed suspension by Masonic deacons of the dove medallion around their necks and outside of their clothing indicated their assigned roles as “messengers of the Masters and Wardens,” and thus “was not part of Smith’s own Masonic experience.”

Quinn thus concludes that “[b]ecause this rare [dove] Masonic pendant of English Freemasonry evidently had no relationship to Smith’s own Masonic experience in America, his possession of it would suggest another purpose. Despite its original Masonic manufacture, . . . [it] could also be viewed as a Jupiter symbol, just as the dove itself was a Venus symbol.”

Based on such evidence, Quinn describes Smith’s experiential tradition (along with that of his family) as being the practice of occultic folk magic. In this regard, the symbol of the dove is, in fact, definitely related to assigned astrological powers:

“For almost two hundred years before Smith’s birth, English books on astrology and the Cabala ascribed the dove to Venus. Moreover, in this tradition of astrological magic, Quinn notes that a medallion engraved on silver (as was Smith’s dove medallion) imbued its magic-believing possessor with, among other things, the power to obtain “fortune,” “procure women” and “dissolve enchantments.” Quinn further notes that “within the magic world-view,” the dove “was the one form that neither devils or witches could assume. . . ."

Indeed, Quinn notes that “[i]n medieval Europe, the dove and olive branch served as ‘a talisman to ensure pilgrims hospitality wherever they traveled,’ and the dove was a ‘sexual emblem sacred to love and mother goddesses.’ In fact, the latter meaning was the central reason a 19th-century Masonic encyclopedia rejected the dove as ‘a proper emblem,’ it ‘being also of an ultra-amative [i.e., sexual love] nature’ . . . .”

Hence, Quinn writes:

“Such uses of a silver Venus talisman complimented Joseph Smith’s Jupiter talisman . . . . Smith’s possession of talismans was consistent with early America’s heritage and contemporary practice [of Christian] . . . ceremonial magic.”

Mormon apologists, even if conceding that Smith possessed a Jupiter talisman, attempt to deny that it had any occultic significance to him.

An anonymous defender of Smith writes:

" . . . [E]ven if this item did belong to Joseph Smith, what meaning can we infer? There is no mention of this item among any writings of Joseph Smith's, nor among any accounts written by any of his contemporaries. Even if we assume that he possessed this item, there is no evidence as to what meaning it may or may not have had to him. To suppose that Joseph Smith attributed supernatural or occult powers to such an item as this is less than speculation, and solidly in the realm of wild-guessing."

(posted by "Anonymous" in response to the question, "What Is a Jupiter Talisman and Why Did Joseph Smith Carry One?, " 29 April 2007, at: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/270184)

Quinn dispenses with this desperate diversion as well, noting, for instance, that Joseph Smith’s family was not historically accused by its Palmyra neighbors of practicing Masonry but, rather, “of practicing certain treasure-digging ceremonies, and it was [Joseph Smith’s mother] Lucy Smith who used the phrase [‘faculty of Abrac,’ i.e., ‘magic’] linking these accusations to ritual magic.”

(D. Michael Quinn, “Early Mormonism and the Magic World View,” Chapter 3, “Ritual Magic, Astrology and Talismans” (Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, 1987], pp. 56, 65-67, 70-76, original emphasis)

Part and parcel of Joseph Smith’s occultic, astrological, magic world-view was his secret possession of a Jupiter talisman, which he believed brought him women, money, power over enchantments and nice travel accomodations.

Unfortunately for him, in the end it didn't bring him power over bullets.

"Witch" would you prefer: Joseph Smith, with or without his historically confirmed, Mormon sanctified, magic, occultic foundation?:

("Occult Context of Joseph Smith's 1823 Discovery of Gold Plates: The purpose of this video will be to reconstruct the original story and restore it to its folk magic and treasure seeking context—-a part of the story the average Mormon is woefully unaware," by Dan Vogel, 3 June, 2013, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QtwIwAGoVChMIrMCS16nsyAIVg0EmCh3I3wrF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7z0iHyvz5xY&usg=AFQjCNF3fb7PzQF0Jhgn73Ye6N4YS0HdIQ&bvm=bv.106379543,d.eWE)

Happy, unholy Halloween! Call up the ghost of Joseph Smith, peepstoning practitioner of the occult, adorned in all his magic medallions, tools and trinkets!

If Smith were alive today (maybe Mormon occult magical incantations can usher him back from the dead for a backwoods reunion with all his spooky spirit friends), Joe himself would say to true-believing Mormons everywhere:

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I tricked you!"

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 05:05AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 31, 2015 03:23AM

Or, put another way, bow your head and say BNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Part 2

When one digs down into the dark grave of Mormonism's secrets--the creepy details of which its leaders never want you to drag out into the open light of day--one unearths a literal crypt full of tales that author Mark Hines describes as including a "blood-spurting Spaniard ghost, [a] transforming amphibian, . . . animal sacrifices to evil spirits and other clear giveaways to the true nature of Mormonism--the Halloween religion, as I call it.

But, wait, there's more blood, butchery and bewitchery where this all comes from.

Hines continues:

"Before Mormons rewrote the story, Moroni was an apparition who had his throat cut ear-to-ear, blood streaming down his clothing, a hobgoblin who was murdered to guard treasure as an enchantment. Smith's story was similar to the kind of tale he told his money-digging associates. The milieu and genre were identical to that of his money-digging tales. The requirements to arrive at a new moon, during an autumnal equinox, to wear black clothing, to smear his hands with lampblack, to bring a specific person, etc., were taken from specific books on the occult."

Hines, in his article, "Mormonism: The Halloween Religion," points out both Joseph Smith's ancestral ties to occultic beliefs and practices, as well as his own personal devotion to occultic ceremonial magic.

Buckle up for a spooky, ghoulish Halloween-night ride through the haunted house of Mormonism's occultic history.
_____

*The Salem Witch Trials

"Many Mormons do not know about Joe Smith's family involvement in the Salem witch trials of 1692, when Joe Smith Sr.'s great-grandfather Samuel Smith and Samuel's father-in-law John Gould testified against Mary Easty and Sarah Wilds, respectively. The testimony of these relatives of Joe Smith hanged these girls as witches. A belief in witchcraft was passed through the Smith generations. Even Orlando Saunders, whom Mormon apologists consider to be one of the most favorable witnesses to Joe Smith's character, said in an interview that both Joe Smith Sr. and Jr. believed in witchcraft (Frederic G. Mather, "The Early Days of Mormonism," in "Lippincott's Magazine" 26, August 1880, p. 198).

"Mormon General Authority B. H. Roberts admitted that Joe Smith's ancestors believed in warlocks and witches, but he asserted that such belief was normal in Smith's day, 'Yes, the Prophet's ancestors were credulous. . . . It may be admitted that some of them believed in fortune telling, in warlocks and witches. . . . To be credulous in such things was to be normal people" (B. H. Roberts, "A Comprehensive History of the Church," vol. 1, pp. 26-27).

"Fayette Lapham, who spoke with the Smiths at length to find out firsthand about Mormonism, said, 'This Joseph Smith, Senior, we soon learned, from his own lips, was a firm believer in witchcraft and other supernatural things; and had brought up his family in the same belief' ("Historical Magazine," 7 May 1870, p. 306).

*Magic Money Digging

"Joshua Stafford, a neighbor of the Smith family, noted that their money digging started no later than about 1820, when Joe Smith, Jr., was about fifteen years old:

"'[I] became acquainted with the family of Joseph Smith, Sen. about the year 1819 or 20. They then were laboring people, in low circumstances. A short time after this, they commenced digging for hidden treasures . . . and told marvellous stories about ghosts, hob-goblins, caverns, and various other mysterious matters' (H. Michael Marquardt and Wesley P. Walters, "Inventing Mormonism," Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 1994, p. 64).

"Orsamus Turner said, 'Legends of hidden treasure had long designated Mormon Hill as the repository. Old Joseph Had dug there and young Joseph . . . had accompanied his father in the midnight delvings, and incantation of the spirits that guarded it' ("Littells Living Age," 30, July-September 1851, p. 429).

"In an affidavit, Henry Harris affirmed Joe Smith's money digging and fortune telling:

"'I, Henry Harris, do state that I became acquainted with the family of Joseph Smith, Sen. about the year 1820, in the town of Manchester, N. York. They were a family that labored very little—the chief they did, was to dig for money. Joseph Smith, Jr. the pretended Prophet, used to pretend to tell fortunes; he had a stone which he used to put in his hat, by means of which he professed to tell people's fortunes' (Rodger Anderson, "Joseph Smith's New York Reputation Reexamined," Salt Lake City, Signature Books, 1990, p. 131).

"Willard Chase, a neighbor who had employed Joe and Alvin Smith to help dig a well, confirmed money digging by the Smith family in 1820, 'I became acquainted with the Smith family . . . in the year 1820. At that time they were engaged in the money digging business' (Eber D. Howe, "Mormonism Unvailed," Painesville, Ohio, 1834, p. 240).

"Even historians friendly to the Mormon 'church' have portrayed Joe Smith's involvement with treasure-digging as extensive. These historians include Howard J. Booth, Wayne Ham, Marvin Hill, Jan Shipps, Donna Hill, Richard P. Howard, James B. Allen and Glen M. Leonard (D. Michael Quinn, "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," Signature Books, Salt Lake City, 1998, p. 44). In official Mormon documents, Joe Smith admitted to being a money digger ("Documentary History of the Church," vol. 3, p. 29; vol. 1, p. 17; "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith," p. 120; "Elders' Journal," vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 28-29).

"For instance, when asked if he was ever a 'money digger,' Joe Smith responded: 'Yes, but it was never a very profitable job for him, as he only got fourteen dollars a month for it.' (Joseph Smith, "Documentary History of the Church," Vol. 3, p. 29).

"Among the Palmyra neighbors who confirmed that Joe Smith used his brown peepstone in treasure digging were Willard Chase, William Stafford, Joseph Capron, Martin Harris, Abel Chase, Lorenzo Saunders, William Riley Hine and Isaac Butts (Quinn, pp. 44, 392n). This brown peepstone is still retained in the walk-in vault of the LDS presidency's office, together with at least one other of Smith's peepstones (ibid., p. 243).

"The scryer's stone Smith used in pretending to see buried treasure, he also used for both finding and translating the pretend golden plates. LDS author Richard S. Van Wagoner wrote about this peepstone:

"'This stone, still retained by the First Presidency of the LDS Church, was the vehicle through which the golden plates were discovered and the medium through which their interpretation came' (Richard S. Van Wagoner, "Sidney Rigdon: A Portrait of Religious Excess," Signature Books, SLC, 1994, p. 57).

"Joe Smith eloped with Isaac Hale's daughter and returned to the Hale household to sponge off Mr. Hale. Peter Ingersoll, who was helping Smith move furniture, observed a touching scene between Isaac Hale and Smith:

"'His father-in-law (Mr. Hale) addressed Joseph, in a flood of tears: "You have stolen my daughter and married her. I had much rather have followed her to her grave. You spend your time in digging for money—pretend to see in a stone, and thus try to deceive people." Joseph wept, and acknowledged he could not see in a stone now, nor never could; and that his former pretensions in that respect, were all false. He then promised to give up his old habits of digging for money and looking into stones. Mr. Hale told Joseph, if he would move to Pennsylvania and work for a living, he would assist him in getting into business. Joseph acceded to this proposition' (Howe, pp. 234-235).

"Instead of finding honest work as he had promised Isaac Hale and Justice Albert Neely, Smith returned to his peepstone and pretended to find 'golden plates.' On May 1, 1834, Joe Smith's father-in-law published an affidavit on the matter in the Susquehanna Register. In the affidavit, Isaac Hale summed up the Book of Mormon. Sometimes one's relatives can say it best:

"'I conscientiously believe from the facts I have detailed, and from many other circumstances, which I do not deem it necessary to relate, that the whole "Book of Mormon" (so called) is a silly fabrication of falsehood and wickedness, got up for speculation, and with a design to dupe the credulous and unwary—and in order that its fabricators may live upon the spoils of those who swallow the deception. ISAAC HALE.' (Isaac Hale affidavit, Susquehanna Register, Montrose, Pennsylvania, May 1, 1834)."

*The Gold Plates, Guardian Blood-Spurting Ghosts and Terrible Toads

"Some of the first people to hear of Joe Smith's golden plates story remember Smith's telling of a bloody Spaniard ghost who guarded the plates (Marquardt and Walters, pp. 92, 94). After Fayette Lapham visited the Smith family with a friend in 1830, he reported Smith's dream of a blood-spurting ghost who guarded the plates. The tale was similar to the pirates' tales Joe Smith and his family relished:

"'He [Joseph] then told his father that, in his dream, a very large and tall man appeared to him, dressed in an ancient suit of clothes, and the clothes were bloody. And the man said to him that there was a valuable treasure, buried many years since, and not far from that place; and that he had now arrived for it to be brought to light, for the benefit of the world at large; and, if he would strictly follow his directions, he would direct him to the place where it was deposited, in such a manner that he could obtain it. He then said to him, that he would have to get a certain coverlid, which he described, and an old-fashioned suit of clothes, of the same color, and a napkin to put the treasure in . . . when he had obtained it, he must not lay it down until he placed it in the napkin. . . .' ("Historical Magazine" 7, May 1870, 306-07).

"Smith's early story of the plates, as related by those who heard it, had more in common with Halloween tales of hobgoblins and blood-spurting ghosts than it did with anything 'holy' or 'Godly.' When Smith first told the story, he had not learned to smooth out the rough edges. Hiel and Joseph Lewis, cousins of Smith's wife, recalled Smith's learning of the plates from a man who had his 'throat cut from ear to ear and the blood streaming down':

"'He [Joe Smith] said that by a dream he was informed that at such a place in a certain hill, in an iron box, were some gold plates with curious engravings, which he must get and translate, and write a book; that the plates were to be kept concealed from every human being for a certain time, some two or three years; that he went to the place and dug till he came to the stone that covered the box, when he was knocked down; that he again attempted to remove the stone, and was again knocked down; this attempt was made the third time, and the third time he was knocked down. "Then he exclaimed, 'Why can't I get it?' or words to that effect; and then he saw a man standing over the spot, which to him appeared like a Spaniard, having a long beard coming down over his breast to about here, (Smith putting his hand to the pit of his stomach) with his (the ghost's) throat cut from ear to ear, and the blood streaming down, who told him that he could not get it alone; that another person whom he, Smith, would know at first sight, must come with him, and then he could get it. And when Smith saw Miss Emma Hale, he knew that she was the person, and that after they were married, she went with him to near the place, and stood with her back toward him, while he dug up the box, which he rolled up in his frock' ("Amboy Journal," Amboy, Illinois, 24, 30 April 1879).

"Joe Smith occasionally did some work for the Saunders family. When he told his tale to Benjamin Saunders, though, the guardian of the plates was an amphibian who transformed into a man:

"'I heard Joe tell my Mother and Sister how he procured the plates. He said he was directed by an angel where it was. He went in the night to get the plates. When he took the plates there was something down near the box that looked some like a toad that rose up into a man which forbid him to take the plates. . . . He told his story just as earnestly as any one could. He seemed to believe all he said' (Benjamin Saunders interview, September 1884, 30, fd 44, box 2, pp. 22-23, "Miscellany 1795-1948," RLDS library-archives).

"In an 1833 affidavit, Willard Chase corroborated the appearance of the amphibian: 'He [Joe Smith] saw in the box something like a toad, which soon assumed the appearance of a man, and struck him on the side of his head' (Howe, p. 242).

"In books on the occult, the toad is associated with Satanism, witchcraft and sorcery (Henry Agrippa, "Three Books of Occult Philosophy," London, Gregory, 1635, p. 472; Barrett, "Magus," I:46). . . ."

*Animal Sacrifices and Associated Occultic Practices

"The Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were offshoots and natural progressions of Smith's involvement with peepstones, money digging, Freemasonry, astrology, fortune telling, water witching, a Jupiter talisman, magic parchments, a ceremonial dagger, talking toads, magic circles of black lamb's and black dog's blood, hemlock juice, necromancy, blood-spurting ghosts, wizardry, demonic possession, etc. The demon Moroni has its antecedent in occult books about ghosts who were thought to guard buried treasure. To Joe Smith, these enchantments needed to be broken. Appeasement through blood sacrifice to Satan was Joe Smith's method of choice to break the enchantment and to get at the treasure.

"Smith's father influenced this belief. The newspaper Palmyra Reflector noted that Joe Smith's father 'evinced a firm belief in the existence of hidden treasure, and that this section of country abounded in them. He also revived, or in other words, propagated the vulgar, yet popular belief that these treasures were held in charge of some EVIL spirit, which was supposed to be either the Devil himself, or some one of his most trusty favorites'" ("Palmyra Reflector," as cited in "A Witness For Christ in America," vol. 2, pp. 68-69).

"William Stafford, who lived about a mile and a half from the Smiths, corroborated Joe Smith Jr.'s blood sacrifices to Satan:

"'Old Joseph and one of the boys came to me one day, and said that Joseph Jr. had discovered some very remarkable and valuable treasures, which could be procured only in one way. That way, was as follows: That a black sheep should be taken to the ground where the treasures were concealed; that after cutting its throat, it should be led around in a circle while bleeding. This being done, the wrath of the evil spirit would be appeased: the treasures could then be obtained, and my share of them was to be four fold. To gratify my curiosity, I let them have a large fat sheep. They afterwards informed me, that the sheep was killed pursuant to commandment; but as there was some mistake in the process, it did not have the desired effect. This, I believe, is the only time they ever made money-digging a profitable business" (Howe, pp. 238-239; also reproduced in Dan Vogel, ed., Early Mormon Documents, Salt Lake City, Signature Books, 1996, vol. 2, pp. 59-61).

"BYU Professor M. Wilford Poulson noted Wallace Miner's saying, 'I once asked Stafford if Smith did steal a sheep from him. He said no, not exactly. He said, he did miss a black sheep, but soon Joseph came and admitted he took it for sacrifice but he was willing to work for it. He made wooden sap buckets to fully pay for it' ("Brigham Young University Studies," Spring 1970, p. 249)

"C. R. Stafford testified about the same incident: 'Jo Smith, the prophet, told my uncle, William Stafford, he wanted a fat, black sheep. He said he wanted to cut its throat and make it walk in a circle three times around and it would prevent a pot of money from leaving' ("Naked Truths About Mormonism," January 1888, p. 3; also in Vogel, vol. 2, p. 197)

"[Here is shown] is a graphic of the actual dagger Joe Smith used for animal sacrifices to Satan. The Smith family dagger was listed in the inventory of Hyrum Smith's 'relics.' An authorized biography of Hyrum Smith described the artifact as 'Dagger, Masonic--ten inch, stainless steel—wooden handle—Masonic symbols on blade' (Pearson Corbett, "Hyrum Smith, Patriarch," Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1963, p. 453). Slides of the dagger were screened at the Sunstone Theological Symposium, August 24, 1985, Salt Lake City, Utah. Symbols on the blade are not 'Masonic,' but they are used in ceremonial magic. One side of the blade has the seal of Mars. The other side of the blade has a symbol for the 'Intelligence of Mars,' the zodiac sign for Scorpio and the Hebrew letters for 'Adonai.' Occult books recommend the inscription of 'Adonai' for those seeking a treasure-trove (Agrippa, "Fourth Book of Occult Philosophy,"" 1655, p. 81; Ebenezer Sibly, "New and Complete Illustration of the Occult Sciences," illustration opposite p. 1103; Francis Barrett, "Magus," 1801, II:110). These magical signs were inscribed according to instructions for inscribing occult symbols (Henry Agrippa, "Three Books of Occult Philosophy," London: Gregory Moule, 1651, p. 245; Barrett, "Magus," I: illustrations opposite pp. 143, 174; Melton, "Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology," vol. 2, p. 1179). Mars is the governing planet of Smith Sr.'s birth year (1771).

"Dr. William D. Purple, a respected Bainbridge physician and a personal friend of Justice Neely, took notes at Joe Smith's 1826 court trial. Justice Albert Neely listed the case as 'Joseph Smith The Glass looker--March 20, 1826.' Some of Dr. Purple's recollections of the trial were printed in the Chenango Union. In a snippet from that article, one notes that Smith lured Josiah Stowell into sacrificing a lamb to an 'evil spirit.' During the blood sacrifice to an evil spirit, Smith sprinkled the lamb's blood to make a magic circle, just as he had done with the black lamb from William Stafford's flock.

"Dr. Purple wrote,

"'In this emergency the fruitful mind of Smith was called on to devise a way to obtain the prize. Mr. Stowell went to his flock and selected a fine vigorous lamb, and resolved to sacrifice it to the demon spirit who guarded the coveted treasure. Shortly after the venerable Deacon might be seen on his knees at prayer near the pits while Smith, with a lantern in one hand to dispel the midnight darkness, might be seen making a circuit around the pits sprinkling the flowing blood from the lamb upon the ground, as a propitiation to the spirit that thwarted them' (William D. Purple, "Joseph Smith the Originator of Mormonism: Historical Reminiscences of the town of Afton," in "Chenango Union," Norwich, NY, May 2, 1877, p. 3).

"Hiel Lewis affirmed that Smith translated the Book of Mormon by means of the same enchanting spirit that directed Smith to make dog sacrifices. Dr. Quinn wrote, 'A cousin of Smith's wife Emma reported that Smith 'translated the book of Mormon by means of the same peep stone, and under the same inspiration that directed his enchantments and dog sacrifices; it was all by the same spirit' (H. Lewis 1879)" (Quinn, 1987 ed., p. 144).

"When Joe Smith started his 'church' in 1830, the local Palmyra newspaper 'Reflector' ran an article making fun of the Book of Mormon and Joe Smith's animal sacrifices (Dogberry, pseudonym [Abner Cole] "Book of Pukei," in "The Reflector," Palmyra, NY, June 12, 1830, p. 36).

"Early Mormon convert Emily M. Austin recalled Joe Smith's urging animal sacrifice, '. . . in the time of their digging for money and not finding it attainable, Joseph Smith told them there was a charm on the pots of money, and if some animal was killed and the blood sprinkled around the place, then they could get it. So they killed a dog and tried this method of obtaining the precious metal. . . . Alas! how vivid was the expectation when the blood of poor Tray was used to take off the charm, and after all to find their mistake . . . and now they were obliged to give up in despair' ("Mormonism; or Life Among the Mormons," 1882; Wesley P. Walters, "Joseph Smith's Bainbridge, N.Y., Court Trials" in "Westminster Theological Journal," 1974, part 2, p. 125).

"Justice Joel King Noble, who tried Smith in an 1830 trail in Colesville, N.Y., related in a letter that when Joe Smith and others were digging 'for a chest of money,' they acquired a black dog and offered it as "a sacrafise [blo]od sprinkled prayer made at the time (no money obtained) the above Sworn to on trial. . . .' (Letter of Justice Noble, dated March 8, 1842, photographically reproduced in Walters, "Joseph Smith's Bainbridge, N.Y., Court Trials," p. 134)."

*Joseph Smith Taught the Necessity of Human Sacrifice

"Smith also urged human sacrifice to Satan. In 1880, 'Lippincott's Magazine' noted:

"On a wilderness-hill--now a part of Jacob J. Skinner's farm—his peek-stone discovered a ton of silver bars which had been buried by weary Spaniards as they trudged up the Susquehanna. An expedition for their recovery was undertaken as soon as Smith could muster enough followers to do the work. . . . The third hole had been sunk fifteen out of the necessary twenty feet when the treasure once more jumped to the other side of the big hole. Then the prophet had a vision: the blood of a black sheep must be shed and sprinkled around the diggings. Black sheep were scarce, and while they waited for one the faithful obtained their needed rest. At length, no sheep appearing, Joe Said that a black dog might answer. A dog, therefore, was killed, and the blood was sprinkled on the ground. After that the silver never went far away. Still, it waltzed about the big hole in such a lively manner that frequent tunneling to effect its capture availed nothing. At the last the prophet decided that it was of no use to dig unless one of their number was made a sacrifice. None of the faithful responded to his call, and thus the magnificent scheme was abandoned. Oliver Harper, one of the diggers who furnished the money, was soon afterward murdered. The prophet thought this might answer for a sacrifice: he again rallied the diggers, but the charm remained stubborn and would not reveal the silver' ("Lippincott's Magazine," 1880, pp. 199-200).

"'History of Susquehanna County' notes Joe Smith's saying that "one of the company should die before the enchantment could be broken" (Emily C. Blackman, "History of Susquehanna County," 1873, p. 580).

"On April 23, 1880, the 'Salt Lake Tribune' published a document showing Joe Smith's involvement with Oliver Harper's widow in an agreement about money digging shares ('Daily Tribune,' Salt Lake City, April 23, 1880). 'The History of Susquehanna County' notes that 'Oliver Harper was murdered by Jason Treadwell. . . .' (Blackman, p. 97). Treadwell was part of Smith's money digging group (Jerald and Sandra Tanner, "Mormonism, Magic and Masonry," Utah Lighthouse Ministry, Salt Lake City, 1988, p. 35). Treadwell was executed for the murder on January 13, 1825 (Blackman, p. 325)."

*Joseph Smith Obsession with Evil Spirits

"According to Joseph Capron, Joe Smith claimed to see 'infernal spirits' in his peepstone (Howe, p. 259). Smith was mesmerized by evil spirits. Spellbound, he could watch them in rapt absorption for hours. William Stafford's affidavit notes Smith's protracted enthrallment with evil spirits:

"'He returned and said that Joseph had remained all the time in the house looking it the stone and watching the movements of the evil spirits. . . .' [Given under oath before Judge Th. P. Baldwin, Dec., 1833] (Charles A. Shook, "True Origin of the Book of Mormon," Cincinnati, Ohio, 1914, pp. 28-31)

"Dr. William D. Purple recorded the process of Joe Smith's becoming demon-possessed. The LDS doctrine of Eternal Progression, of men becoming gods, originated when Smith deluded himself and lifted up his heart with feelings of ecstasy and godhood:

"'With some labor and exertion he found the stone, carried it to the creek, washed and wiped it dry, sat down on the bank, placed it in his hat, and discovered that time, place and distance were annihilated; that all intervening obstacles were removed, and that he possessed one of the attributes of Deity, an All-Seeing-Eye.' (Dr. William D. Purple, "Chenango Union," Norwich, NY, May 3, 1877) . . . .

"Since some satanic rites require blackness, accordingly the demon Moroni required Joe Smith to wear black clothing at their rendezvous. Smith Sr. told neighbor Willard Chase that Joe Smith Jr. was required to wear 'black clothes' and to arrive on a 'black horse' (Quinn, 1998 edition, p. 165). Lorenzo Saunders recalled that blackness was also a requirement for the rendezvous (Ibid., p. 65). In an interview with Fayette Lapham, Joe Smith Sr. referred to a requirement of wearing clothing of the same color (Vogel, 1:459).

"According to Lucy Mack Smith, Dr. Gain Robinson was 'an old friend' of the Smith family (ibid., 1:316). He owned a store in Palmyra, and he recorded purchases made by the Smiths from 1825 until 1829. The first time that any one of the Smiths purchased lampblack from his store was September 18, 1827, only four days before Joe Smith's visit with the demon Moroni. (Lampblack was almost pure carbon. It was made from soot and it was used to paint objects black).

"Dr. Robinson's accounting entry for this particular purchase of lampblack was abbreviated 'L.Blk,' and Dr. Robinson noted that Smith Sr. bought the lampblack for his son Joe Smith, Jr. ("Gain Robinson Store Day Book 1827-29," 301 King's Daughters' Library; Quinn, p. 166). Black is mentioned as a requirement in Reginald Scot's "Discovery of Witchcraft and Discourse Concerning Devils and Spirits" (pp. 215, 218-20, 226) and Ebenezer Sibly's "New and Complete Illustration of the Occult Sciences" (pp. 1102, 1104). Smearing lampblack on the palms was practiced in divinatory scrying (Northcote Thomas, "Crystal Gazing: Its History and Practice," London, Alexander Moring, 1905, pp. 32, 48-50, 68).

"Smith prepared for the meeting about midnight September 21, 1827, and he took Emma (Quinn, p. 166). Joe Smith's sister said that Joe was commanded to go at 2 a.m., September 22, 1827 (Katharine Smith Salisbury letter to 'Dear Sisters,' Vogel, I:521). For the 1823 meeting, Mormon scribe Oliver Cowdery wrote that Smith began praying to commune with 'some kind of messenger' about 'eleven or twelve' (Cowdery to Phelps, "Letter IV," 78-79; "Jessee Papers of Joseph Smith," 1:50-51).

"Occult tradition specifies that spirit conjurations should begin at 11 o'clock at night. Joe Smith established the Moroni visit of September 21, 1923 as 'after I had retired to my bed for the night.' ("Joseph Smith History," Pearl of Great Price, v. 29)

"Magic instructions also teach that if nothing results, the same experiment must be renewed in the following years. Smith wrote,

"'[Moroni] told me that I should come to that place precisely in one year from that time, and that he would there meet with me, and that I should continue to do so until the time should come for obtaining the plates' (ibid., v. 53).

"All of Smith's yearly meetings with Moroni were at night, and all followed the new moon and autumnal equinox at the major witchcraft festival of Harvest Home (Janet ~ Stewart Farrar, "Eight Sabbats for Witches," Robert Hale, London, 1981, pp. 26, 116). These were auspicious conditions for occultic treasure digging and the conjuration of demons. Dr. Quinn cites a comprehensive study of the magic arts and he notes that all three distinctive forms of ritual magic were extant in Smith's meetings with Moroni: necromancy, transformation and theurgy (Quinn, 1987 ed., p. 133). Smith's encounter with the demon Moroni was a textbook case of sorcery.

*Mormon Church Rewrites the Bloodly, Occultic, Devil-Centric History of Joseph Smith's Religion

"Mormons later rewrote Smith's account and deleted the blood-spurting Spaniard ghost, the transforming amphibian, the animal sacrifices to evil spirits and other clear giveaways to the true nature of Mormonism--the Halloween religion, as I call it. Before Mormons rewrote the story, Moroni was an apparition who had his throat cut ear-to-ear, blood streaming down his clothing, a hobgoblin who was murdered to guard treasure as an enchantment. Smith's story was similar to the kind of tale he told his money digging associates. The milieu and genre were identical to that of his money-digging tales. The requirements to arrive at a new moon, during an autumnal equinox, to wear black clothing, to smear his hands with lampblack, to bring a specific person, etc., were taken from specific books on the occult, as Dr. Quinn's research found. . . . .

"Book of Mormon witness Oliver Cowdery corroborated that when Joe Smith first went to the Manchester hill he 'beheld the prince of darkness, surrounded by his innumerable trains of associates' (Oliver Cowdery letter to W. W. Phelps, "LDS Messenger and Advocate," vol. 2, October 1835, p. 198).

"Fayette Lapham recalled Smith's telling of devils who screeched, screamed and wounded Smith:

"' . . . Joseph took the pillow-case and started for the rock. Upon passing a fence, a host of devils began to screech and to scream, and made all sorts of hideous yells. . . . Joseph then turned the rock back, took the article in the pillow-case, and returned to the wagon; the devils, with more hideous yells than before, followed him to the fence; as he was getting over the fence, one of the devils struck him a blow on his side, where a black and blue spot remained three or four days. . . ." ("Historical Magazine," 7 May 1870, p. 306).

"'The Ancients Book of Magic' (p. 15) notes that demons, during an encounter with a magician, can make shocking displays:

"'Thus attired, and standing within the charmed circle, the magician repeats the awful formot exorcism; and presently, the internal spirits make strange and frightful noises, howlings, tremblings, flashes, and most dreadful shrieks and yells, as the forerunner becomes visible.'"

(Mark Hines, "Mormonism: The Halloween Religion," at: http://www.conchisle.com/moroni.htm)
_____

Holy hell, Joe. When you said you were led by the Holy GHOST, you weren't kidding.

Finally, a movie you'll never see at the LDS Visitor's Center:

("'Anti-Mormonism' Exposed Pt 9/ The Occult: Jesus Christ/Joseph Smith," 17 January 2009, with this apologetic pro-Mormon denunciation attached: "On 25 March 2007, evangelical Christians distributed a new anti-Mormon video to thousands of homes across the United States. Though it purports to be an objective Christian evaluation of the teachings, history, and beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it contains much that is inaccurate,"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_61eCh9FLE)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 08:23PM by steve benson.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:31AM

Ha ha ha...I liked where McConkie said that believing in astrology was absurd.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 04:11AM

Ironically, astrology's claims for a pseudo science are more real than anything Mormonism has to offer, as a pseudo religion.

Mysticism is what Joseph was heavily into in addition to the occult.

Not unlike Rasputin in his day, Joseph was for his.

Good topic!

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:28PM

In astrology, the position of the sun and the position of the moon are the only things that actually predict what will happen on earth.

When the sun is above the horizon, you can predict that it will be light instead of dark.

When the moon is in a certain place in relation to a certain coastline, you can predict that the tides will come in or go out.

Date: November 01, 2015 12:24AM

What predicts the movement of the sun and moon, by the way, is astronomy, not astrology. Was the Jupiter talisman-clasping Joseph Smith a great astronomer because he was an astrologist? Please demonstrate the linkage between the two with regard to his amazing life work.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 12:40AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:27AM

That should be the first discussion.

Was Moroni dressed as a bloody Spaniard for Halloween?

How bizarre was it that Mckonkie and crew could completely disassociate Joseph Smith, temple ceremonies and other neon signs of Mormonism from the occult, Masonic rituals...

His talisman wasn't so lucky after all.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:32AM

Albert Carrington was ordained an Elder 15 minutes after death, so that he could be buried in temple clothes. Wilford Woodruff himself approved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Carrington

My own great-great grandparents had their sealing cancelled by Joseph F. Smith in 1911 (16 years after the death of George Leavitt). So you see they're not only doing stuff on behalf of the dead, they're doing it to the dead themselves.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:50AM

That explains why our ward has their biggest extravaganza for Halloween, every year. It's bigger than Christmas--by far. Actually, they have NOTHING on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve. They have a potluck party in the gym, with hardly any decorations, and, recently, no Santa. Just eating, singing, and cleaning everything up afterwards.

Halloween had huge inflatable decorations, cars decorated in the parking lot (I think they had a car-decorating contest), everyone in costumes (our ward Mormons don't wear Christmas sweaters or Christmas bling, anymore.) They combined several wards, so there would be a huge crowd celebrating Halloween--about 4 times the number of people that attend the Christmas potluck, which is usually the first weekend of December, which really isn't even Christmastime, yet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.