Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Buggie ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 12:08AM

Just concerned for two female who visited and I tried to reach out to them thinking of my own daughter. Is it ok to ask questions here? I have been a Methodist since infancy so I know nothing about this. Have no proof but an uneasy feeling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 12:09AM

Ask away!

Date: October 14, 2015 12:31AM

Live in a small town in Virginia. I'm retired. Two very nice girls knocked at my front door in July. I explained upfront I did not want to discuss religion & they complied. The two were from the Midwest and California. I told them if I were their parents I would be so worried. My town is truly very safe but some other areas are not safe at all. Both were so young to me. 18 or 19 and 20. The thought of what they were doing just frightened me.

I finally gave them a $20 and told them to go buy a cool drink or snack or dinner.

They insisted they had to give all money to the Church. Are these folks not even allowed to help thirst on a hot day? I googled and it doesn't seem all money must go to the church?

I've had two further visits I can explain later but will start with that question

Posted by: John_norelation_Wayne ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 10:53AM

I still distinctly remember the non-mormons I met that would be genuinely concerned for us and give us money.

FWIW, We wouldn't turn it into the church .We would use it to buy pizza and wings(Gosh I miss NY)

Date: October 14, 2015 12:38AM

They are given a monthly stipend. If they have any cash left over at the end of the month they are supposed to turn it back in.

It's so stupid... If you feed them a meal or take them out and pick up the tab, all is well. You can even take them shopping and buy food, and it's okay. That's good ol' ghawd watching out for them. But giving them cash is the devil tempting them.

Maybe JAR, another non-mormon will chime in and link you to his saga of meeting with the sister missionaries...

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:51AM

Yeah, I turned it back in....NOT

Date: October 14, 2015 01:06AM

They came back the next week and I gave them another twenty. They accepted both times but I'm cringing they didn't spend it on themselves. I still had that uneasy feeling.

Two or three weeks later I let them fill a couple of garbage bags with clothing. I actually buy sinful amounts.

I was happy to purge some. They told me they had been buying from a local thrift store?

I invited them for dinner even asking food restrictions. They said yes but later backed out claiming a conflict. No biggie to me but would appreciate for my own child far from home.

So far they stayed off religious topics.

A few weeks later my phone began being blown up by Scripture Texts. I didn't recognize the number at first.

The younger Sister has stopped by twice more but at very bad times. I asked to please call in advance.

Tonight I realized who had been blowing up my phone with texts & let the girl know very strongly I did not appreciate lack of respect and continuing no religious talks.

I guess she had no choice? She told me it was a mass text? No idea why she gave up my number.

I told her I did not trust her group. I felt she was being played as a pawn for self serving humans. I feel bad but really got angry after being so willing to help.

I ended my text by saying if needed call 911 and then call me.

I know I was ugly but just sense this beautiful young girl may be in danger.

Praying I'm overreacting.

Date: October 14, 2015 01:18AM

One of the sisters has shown up alone? Am I reading that correctly?

That is quite the no-no!

Date: October 14, 2015 01:24AM

Sorry if I was unclear. Not alone. Only one of the original two is still around. The last time she came unannounced she had two new girls with her

Date: October 14, 2015 01:29AM

I just felt she sorta betrayed our understanding regarding respecting our own religions and leaving the subject alone.

I'm just now wandering what kind of pressure she's under.

Maybe my imagination but so sense the girls may be involved physically with someone in the church & maybe not by choice.

Just a feeling.

Hope I've just watched too much TV?

Would her texts be monitored or reviewed? I hope I didn't get her in trouble.

Posted by: Buggie My Doxie ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:31AM

Wondering not wandering. Must be getting late

Date: October 14, 2015 01:34AM

Yikes & Gross.

Thanks I will Definetly do that.

Scary stuff!

Just mainly concerned for these "kids"

Date: October 14, 2015 01:31AM

Check out preparetoserve.com/lds-missions-list/ to see if you can figure out which mission you're in and then check the missionary blogs from that mission. You might end up reading about yourself!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )

Are you male or female?

I'm not sure the significance of just one coming but they are not suppose to come alone, but always in pairs. Did the one mention that the other one was sick or anything?

I am missing what you think you did wrong. You asked not to talk about religion. That is your right to do so. You don't have to talk about religion if you choose not to. That is a problem for the CULT because they feel that must convert you (especially mishies).

If you are a male (or female I guess it is applicable here too), did the one alone flirt with you? I think what I am asking is do you think she came alone to deliberately be alone with you for some ulterior motive? What is your take on why she was alone?

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )

Yes they are in danger. Each door they knock on is a gamble. They are extremely naive and belong to a cult that exploits them.

They are required to pay their own way, $400 a month? If they can't afford it, their home congregation has a donation fund.

Random texts? They usually have issues with boundaries-calling for an appointment... They have a quota and should be discussing the church/pressing people to convert through a series of "discussions." It is a cult, based on provable fraud by Joseph Smith, who was a con man and perverted polygamist/polyandrist...

I hope people are kind to my beautiful niece, a new missionary. I'm concerned for her safety. She is headed for a rude awakening in "the real world."

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:05AM

All missionaries are under pressure to produce, just like any other sales reps. That's what they are. This is their (unpaid) job. They're cult pawns, yes, but they're not being "played" any more than I was, or any other of the many returned missionaries on this forum were, on our own missions. They're in no physical danger from church people, but psychological and emotional duress is quite another matter.

As for the girls' parents, rest assured that mom & dad are blissfully unaware of their daughters' surroundings and situations. They blithely assume that God is watching over their girls and that no harm can befall them. There are thousands more in much worse places than Virginia, living in hellholes in Chile or Bolivia or South Africa or Ukraine. And their parents let them go without complaint.

At least the ones you met are from California and the Midwest. Those from Utah and Idaho are far more sheltered and naive, having lived their entire lives in a Mormon-dominated society, and have seldom associated with non-Mormons.

As for getting Mormon missionaries to leave you alone, you generally have two options:

1. Be nice and polite about it. The problem is that this approach suggests to them that you're actually interested in their message. They'll ignore your request and continue to bother you. You've gotten a taste of that already. Mormons have problems with boundaries.

2. Be forceful and assertive. This approach usually gets through. They'll think you're angry, bitter and rude, but you'll be left in peace for a while, until a new set arrives. Then repeat the process.

Don't give them cash. Go food shopping with them if you want. That way you know they're being helped.

At some point, you may meet some of the "elders." That's what they call the 18-19 year old boys on missions. The guys can sometimes be kind of arrogant because they think they have the "priesthood" which is the authority to act for God on earth. If they give you any kind of attitude, feel free to rip them a couple of new ones.

Date: October 14, 2015 05:29AM

Thanks so much to all of you. I have learned tremendously tonight.

I am a 52 yr old female. Just to clarify none of the girls ever came alone. No flirtation. The first two originals were the only two with whom I chatted.

I will be forceful. Reading all the blogs I read I am bit disgusted at the never ending convert topic. No respect for my lifelong Methodist background at all if I'm an object to convert. I try very hard to respect and not judge other faiths. I expect the same in return.

My draw was simply knowing my 20 yr old daughter. I worry about her endlessly & she lives nearby

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for the insight I've gained. My parents were never fans of the door knockers. I understand so much more as to why

I wish all only the best in your paths to find peace!

Sincerely,
Dana

Date: October 14, 2015 05:33AM

Ps: please note my "blogs" reference above was the reading I found on "prepare to serve/ mission lists". Not your blogs.

Long night of reading

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:25AM

I may have missed it, is your daughter Mormon? Or is it just general concern for the girls ? I can understand either way.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 07:07AM

You have to wonder about parents who would allow their kids to go to random foreign countries and mix it up with the locals. Insane.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:24AM

They put these young women in harms way and tell them the Lord will protect them if they work hard and are worthy. They marginalize everyone is who doesn't listen and who doesn't do the parental job for the absentee mother and father. It's a bad system but in the end, these women have to wake up and learn to be adults. No one can protect them from the delusions they embrace. They don't respect those they visit and they don't lift a finger to step up and actually find out the flaws in what they're selling. Any kindness or being rebuffed only makes them think their delusions are reality.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:05AM

Although my mission was many years ago, I doubt the general missionary attitude has changed much. If a person we meet asks us to not discuss religion, but they are very kind and helpful, we would respect the no-religion subject at first. As missionaries we knew that if we had enough time to friendship this person, eventually they would want to know more about Mormonism.

If there is not a chance that the person would ever ask us about Mormonism, eventually we would feel they were a waste of our time and we would move on, but, we would enjoy the food and gifts for a while first :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 09:50AM by danr.

Date: October 14, 2015 09:13AM

My Daughter is definitely not Mormon.
Just general concern for her. As a nursing student and EMT she rode with about three rescue squads (very good with people in general & very good with trauma patients) A very mature 20 yrs old but she would still kinda breakdown after an accident etc. The Squads were in Richmond. I even found myself not sleeping when I knew she was on the scene for three hours in zero degree temps and only surgical gloves. The job can be pretty dangerous at times

For me it's just a Mom thing. My daughter is my only child so I suppose I extended my concern to the girls.

Again, you folks have been tremendous help.

Date: October 14, 2015 09:31AM

Danr-

Thank you. That would make sense. :)

Date: October 14, 2015 09:55AM

Just a Note...

Your explanations have help me to understand my concern for physical wellbeing and suspicions.

Each time I asked about their accommodations...I would see the two exchange glances and very carefully answer my questions. It was as if they feared saying the wrong thing.

You've helped me to realize there is apparently a certain "sacred"/secret thing that goes on & probably why I sensed trepidation in answering.

THanks!

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 10:48AM

Okay, this is like walking into a store and trying to adopt the cashier.

You are clearly a compassionate, kind-hearted person. And bless you for that.

Even if these girls were in terrible trouble, they would not, and could not come to you for help. You are a customer to them. They have something to sell you. They are the Lord's salesladies. They have a sales manager, called a mission president, and they have sales supervisors (other missionaries), and, as a last resort, they CAN call their parents (but that's breaking the rules).

Now, you have demonstrated that you care more for their wellbeing than their church or their families. Again, bless you. They exchange awkward glances because that does not fit with what they've been told, which is that nonmormons are wicked and need saving and that the church has their best interests at heart. It does not. You do. You are causing a little cognitive dissonance with them, possibly, because you are behaving in a kind, caring, empathetic, compassionate manner, and they've been taught that outsiders to the church could not possibly be kind, caring, empathetic, or compassionate.

Date: October 14, 2015 11:42AM

They are expected to keep secret that their accommodations and food are sparse, that they're not allowed to talk to family and they must appear always cheerful and enthusiastic though they likely feel otherwise.

My husband told two female mishies to leave and never return as he already knew about their lies and indoctrination and they should give it up. One of them broke into such violent crying that tears shot out horizontally from her eyes and she couldn't speak, just stormed off to her car and stomped her feet which is a secret Mormon sign of cursing a non-believer to hell.

Date: October 14, 2015 11:25AM

Very, very interesting. I have continued to read and find it all interesting.

Even if I did not have my Methodist Faith - this Religion would never be for me.

I appreciate the feedback & always enjoy learning. Very new perspective if the doorbell rings again.

Gracias

Date: October 14, 2015 12:16PM

Whoa. I would have never known the stomp your feet part.

I probably got a few stomps today as I did choose the forceful route. I still encouraged 911 in the event needed.

I told the consistently present younger sister to never contact me again in any form. I was extremely disappointed in her dishonesty. Explained she was busted by my reading (mainly y'all) & my reading included "Prepare to Serve" blogs showing I am no more than a subject for conversion.

My final sentence was "I will be praying for YOU to eventually actually know God"

Hate the thought of tears but I'm sure she's heard worse. Not nice but to a degree if you can't take the heat...leave the kitchen

Date: October 14, 2015 12:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 12:37PM by Cheryl.

Date: October 14, 2015 02:10PM

Know this has been drawn out but I am so thankful for every bit of input. I'm not sure I knew the strength of my own faith until this past 24 hrs.

I also have a renewed vision of Mission work. If my child were subjected to any form of danger at all which would I choose...knocking at doors under false pretenses of a Gospel or volunteer work at rescue squads? Completely understand my own bias but see volunteering as more of a Mission function. So hope those working so hard under false pretenses eventually see the light with minimal damage.

Thanking you all for my learning and realizations and no matter your religious choices...you have all been Missionaries per my gains in your own rights.

I thank you again for allowing me to ask my questions & wish you the absolute best!

If OK I may return.

From the Heart,
Dana

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:53PM

You can always ask if they know their parents phone numbers. Just to know that their child is being looked after. A picture message with a picture of their daughters sent to them.

It would be a good way to let the parents know your concerns as well as make a connection for their poor parents who only communicate with their daughters through weekly emails and twice a year phone/video calls. Its a way to sort of cheat the system of being away from the family and limited contact with them by rules and regulations of the cult.

Of course Mormon cult and boundaries are always an issue.

I am glad you posted here.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:38PM

Well, you are welcome here any time.

Date: October 14, 2015 03:06PM

Your suggestion is really good one. I would appreciate that as a parent. I will probably have to let the dust settle a little while.

So unusual to me to cut off parental contact.

Based on Va Blogs???
I am so sure the blogs on prepare to serve are at least somewhat doctored but I read of one going to a funeral and another getting medical help from an Urgent Care twice for Bronchitis.

Those things were some of my concerns for these girls. On this site...I know there is a current blog of a Sister who passed away from Sepsis in Oregon & a claim of medical help denial.

Do practices differ that greatly from State to State or were VA Blogs on prepare to serve that "fixed"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.