Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 04:27PM

My worst day was when I built a mortgage-free home and had it kept from me, thanks to a caring Uncle, and the envy of my neighbors. The fine folks waited until I completed the work, moved in, then as I was about to sleep in it with my young family, a visit made sure that my lifelong dream would not occur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:04PM

There are lots and lots of contenders, but I think the day of my birth was the obvious winner.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:08PM

+infinity

My bad days include when I was born, the day I was sexually assaulted, & the day I was beaten so badly & threatened with being taken to the county mental health facility because I wouldn't stop crying after being beaten (I was still in elementary school at the time).

Date: October 08, 2015 06:11PM

Tristan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> +infinity
>
> My bad days include when I was born, the day I was
> sexually assaulted, & the day I was beaten so
> badly & threatened with being taken to the county
> mental health facility because I wouldn't stop
> crying after being beaten (I was still in
> elementary school at the time).

I hope you recovered well.

I had to tear out the page of my life that devastated me. Burned it, then tossed the ashes on a very windy day.

Date: October 08, 2015 06:12PM

No, I haven't. Recovery for me will be a life long journey.

Date: October 08, 2015 06:09PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are lots and lots of contenders, but I think
> the day of my birth was the obvious winner.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xyp63MaSBs

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:15PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:33PM

The worst day alive is better than the best day dead. :)

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:38PM

The day my 16 year old son died.

Posted by: GodLedMeOut (nli) ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:06PM

Dennis, all of my bad days pale compared to yours. So sorry you lost your son.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 06:46PM

I used to work for Cantor-Fitzgerald in New York. The second week of September 2001 I was on vacation in Maine.

About 650 of my co-workers were murdered on 9/11.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 09:16PM

holy shit
that's flippin' savage

Date: October 08, 2015 09:32PM

The day my TBM family told me I was likely the worst person ever because I was not quite ready to donate a kidney to my brother on his timeframe.

For sure he needed it, but I hesitated for various personal reasons. Branded for life...

A failure

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 08:53PM

Hmmmmm.....

Will not go into details, but suicide had been planned and averted when my dog looked at me and I realized nobody loved him like I loved him and who would care for him as much as he deserved.

Dark fucking day.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 09:37PM

You know, come to think of it my life has been okay. I mean there have been lots of overall bad times, but a worst day? That's really hard. I suppose a slew of days in middle school when I was planning to kill myself are contenders. Maybe the day we left California when I was 8, because Utah was always terrible. Or the day I agreed to attend BYU even though I hated the church, because of all that led to.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:12PM

Wow, that's a hard one. Unfortunately there are so many to choose from.

There were days which were far more difficult to get through, but I guess I'd go with the day, just before Christmas when I was 16 years old, that my parents told me that my best friend had died in her sleep due to an aneurysm.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:16PM

Back in 1990...when I was out of cash, had mountain of bills, was trying to keep the farm afloat and didn't know if I could go on...or if I wanted to. But I found a way to get through it with the help of my dear wife, who went back to work. I kept my creditors at bay and was able to put a crop in the next year. Don't ever want to get to that point again.

RB

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:28PM

the day my husband of 22 years told me he was gay.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:28PM

double post..disregard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 10:29PM by gemini.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:37PM

There have been several.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:58PM

Mine has to do with a horrible 24 hours in the hospital and another time in the hospital when I was bullied in the middle of the night to consent to a test I did not want done.

I have to stop thinking of this now. It makes me upset to think about it.

I feel for you guys for some of the sad and terrible things that have happened to you.

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:12PM

The day I suffered an extremely traumatic brain injury that changed my entire life. It's been one hell of a fight back out of that hole.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:19PM

But they all involve being trapped in a horrible situation beyond my control or will and seemingly impossible to escape. Hence, why I still have nightmares of not being able to free myself from a situation.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:50PM

It's a tie between certain episodes of child abuse/molestation, the day I signed paperwork to authorize removing my Mom's life support and her immediate passing, and the day my sister went in for emergency brain tumor removal-which was also the day my now institutionalized father was kicked out of his latest facility for threatening to kill a fellow patient, and also the day my mentally disturbed 15 y.o, niece tried to hitchhike from the hospital back to the hotel because she wanted to go swimming rather than sit in the surgical waiting room to see whether her mom survived the surgery. The security officer who was sent to investigate the reports of a juvenile asking for rides in the lobby found her on the corner thumbing. He brought her back to me and yanked my phone away, hanging up on the state social worker I'd spent three hours trying to contact regarding getting my father committed, then lectured me about being a responsible guardian for my mentally melting niece.

To top it off we all got diarrhea from the Mexican place across from the hospital.

Still...some of your posts make that seem pretty easy, and you have my respect and admiration.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:53PM

No problem coming up with the day. But as painful a day as it was, this thread makes me realize that there are always people who have had worse days and been through worse things. Still, it was the worst day of my life.

I didn't lose a child or grandchild that I'd grown to know and love. But I had to sit there knowing that my child was sedated and giving birth via C-section to a full-term lifeless baby that she'd tried for years to conceive and carry to term. She had called me an hour earlier from the doctor's office crying, "Mom, there's no heartbeat." I thought I'd been hit with a club. I knew she'd have to go home to all the gifts she'd received at the baby shower, the cradle her husband took months making and putting his whole heart into, full breasts of needless milk, etc.

I wished I could have traded my life for his. I wished I could think about something else. I wished I could wake up and find out it was all a dream. And I know so many of us have had that kind of feeling on the worst days of our lives. But I also know that I wouldn't trade my worst day for those of many of you or a million other people. That's why we need others to hold us up while we limp through it. At times like that I honestly miss my blissfully ignorant days. Sometimes living in the bubble with our pretend invisible friends was a comfort. And in the hard times blissful ignorance can be your best friend. However, being able to face reality probably helps us get through it better in the long run.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:55PM

Aww, Norma. That's so sad. Your poor daughter. Poor you.

Posted by: Sweets ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:04AM

I am 55 now, and I honestly thought through the years that "nothing could be as bad as this."

-the day my sister and I stopped my father from murdering my mother. I was 16.

-the day my mother died aged only 49 from cancer. I was 25.

-the day (like Norma) my son Erik was stillborn after 4 miscarriages. I was 35. All alone because husband collapsed from the grief.

-the day they found my niece hanging from a tree. She was my namesake. I was 50.

-the day my only sister had a complete psychotic break from her daughter's death a month later.

So, yeah, life sucks sometimes but joy comes too.

-my mother left me some money which helped us finance the adoption of some of our kids.
-I had a baby at age 37, healthy little boy, with my husband right by my side saying, please let him live, God, please let him live. Right now, that baby is a whopping 6 foot 2 inch 200 pound 18 year old!
-my sister is recovering and lives near me. She and I have reconnected after years of being apart.

Sometimes life is like a tsunami that washes away all you know and love. Hang on tight and soon the waves recede and you can rebuild. Sorrow and joy. Endure the sorrow; savor the joy. That's what I have learned.

And I never saw my father again after age 16. That was a joy too.

Date: October 09, 2015 01:06AM

I hope you treat all your kids equally though.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:37AM

I haven't had any one worst day that I can single out and know it was the worst.

There've been bad days, good days, and everything in between days.

I've learned to roll with the punches, and I've been dealt some pretty bad blows. But through it all, as I reflect back on my life, I also see a pattern of survival, resilience, and a higher power that has brought me through.

I was born into poverty, and have worked my way out of it. It was a long, hard, arduous road for me and my family. I don't believe I'm a better person for having endured hardships. The hardest things I've endured is the loss of relationships - of close family and loved ones I've cared deeply for.

Those have probably been the worst days of my life, is the grieving for those I've loved and lost.

And soon the sun returns, and I'm reminded of how fragile all our lives are. We're here only for a short time, and then we'll be gone too.

And I'm an optimist, at least some of the time. That, and my faith, is what's kept me from losing my mind over things I have no control in the first place.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 02:06AM

probably the day I had a nervous break down and had to walk away from a career I had spent years developing. I had to walk away from my home, independence, and life as it was. I haven't had kids but I don't see how a miscarriage or losing a child can be anywhere near as devastating as an experience as losing your livelihood, residence, dignity, when your alone and single (maybe a string of 5 miscarriages in row could?).

Posted by: Really? ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 02:15AM

You're comparing money vs death?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 02:17AM

I've had a lot of days I thought were bad, but nothing nearly as tragic as many of the stories in this thread.

The one day that sticks out as probably one of the worst so far was November 18, 1998. I was at work at a job I hated, taking a crapload of Prozac that wasn't working for me, and my brain went blank. Then I had an epic meltdown. Ended up having an emergency visit with my psychiatrist, who was a competent doctor, but treated me with condescension.

Or... maybe August 22, 1998 when I had an intake interview with that same doctor and found out I was sexually abused by my neighbor. Up until that day, I hadn't realized that I had been sexually abused.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur (nli) ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 02:17AM

Well, finding my Mom with her wrists slashed and an empty bottle of vicodin near her when I was the only one home with her when I was eighteen was pretty bad. But then, so was the year of home school leading up to that where I watche her destroy virtually everything she had made in her life. Also, the subsequent years of PTSD I've had to deal with haven't been super.

Then, in 2012, when my uncle hung himself and my little brother slashed up his house and body in an attempt to kill himself was pretty rough.

But it's not a contest. It's not who has it better or worse that gives life meaning. It's how we survive the shit we're faced with. We all have pain. We all struggle.

Date: October 09, 2015 02:35AM

and nary a prayer was answered

Thanks Oba...I mean jesus

and screw you Dallin Hoax

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 02:59AM

The day my husband went to work and 1 hour later I was called and he was in a coma with a severe traumatic brain injury. He is permanently and totally disabled.
Then the cocksucking company he worked for fought us about the worker's comp for 2 years. The injury happened at his job. Since it was a brain injury the company counted on him not remembering so they tried to not pay worker's comp.
The lovely US government also fought us on SS Disability forever. I am no longer a patriotic American. In my book patriotic translates to idiotic. I don't buy their crap anymore than I buy the CULT's crap.

There is not one day of my life that I don't wish they were out of business. Slimy company filled with bad karma slimeballs.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 03:46AM

My heart aches for many here. Makes me realize that I've had it pretty good. Like some here on this thread, I don't know that I've had a "worst day" or a "worst moment".

I can think of some times in my life that were pretty shitty in general, but not any particular moment that really stands out. Being bullied as a young teenager really sucked. Life at home with a psychotic mother sucked ass. The two years I spent in the mission field had some positive times, but overall it was a really shitty experience. The post-mission adjustment was absolutely brutal. But there have been a lot of really good times too.

I used to love the 2nd chapter of 2nd Nephi. I really liked the idea that we were free to choose happiness or misery. I liked the idea that we were in control of our own destinies. I bought into the idea advanced put forth in Moroni 10:22... "And if ye have no hope ye must needs be in despair; and despair cometh because of iniquity". That scripture makes me break out in hives nowadays. It is such complete and utter bullshit. Such Mormon inspired thinking causes people to self-righteously judge those whose lives are difficult and struggle with depression. They think if people aren't happy, they must not be living the gospel.

Nowadays I realize that people are the victims of circumstance far more than many of us care to acknowledge. Almost nobody sails through life carefree and happy. We are not to judge. We are only here to love and support each other.

Posted by: Anonymous Whiner ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 06:00AM

I was in an earthquake that killed 60 people. Horrible for them, but I was with my mother and grandmother, and I could be a hero and take care of some people. We were all in it together. Afterwards, my father came thousands of miles to rescue us, and I made the front page of our local newspaper. I was never alone.

I was in a near plane crash, in the middle of a hurricane somewhere over the ocean, flying to Hawaii. When you look back at things, you know you survived. We had an amazing time in Hawaii (but I'm afraid of flying).

There were the afternoons I was forced to stay home alone with the older brother who beat me and tortured me every day of my life, the beatings my father gave me, usually for something I didn't do. My mother accusing me of picking up men in bars (I had never been in a bar; I had never kissed a boy; I was only 15), and got hysterical, and wouldn't stop crying for hours, until I called my uncle (my savior), and he came and took her away. My father was overseas, and my brother and I were left alone to fend for ourselves. Still, I liked school, and spent a lot of time in the library, or doing after-school sports, and with my mother gone, I could go to my friends' houses, dream about a brighter future.

The worst day of my life was the day I got married in the temple. I felt the presence of Satan, and I became physically sick, and had to keep leaving to run to the bathroom. The matrons were furious, and hissed at me, every time I had to leave. When we left the temple, my new husband waved the marriage certificate at my parents, and said, "She's mine now." Instead of going to the luncheon my family had prepared for us, he took me to the hotel and raped me. He said I was his property, and that he could do anything he wanted to me. I was injured and bleeding, when I walked into the reception with my father, wearing the white wedding dress. I could barely walk. No one knew anything was wrong. I didn't know that a husband could actually rape his wife. I didn't know about spousal abuse--but I learned. For over a year, he beat me and strangled me until I stopped breathing. He took me to different hospitals and doctors, and always hit me where it wouldn't show, though everyone could see the casts, and my broken jaw ("I fell in the kitchen.") Probably the worst day was the day I wanted to kill myself. Never was I so hopeless and alone.

HOPELESS--because the Mormon scriptures (D&C 132) said my husband could punish me--even if I did nothing wrong. The Mormon church had me married for eternity. No hope of escaping, even in death. If I divorced, I would lose the respect of my Mormon family and friends. And that did happen, but their shunning was not as terrible as having to belong to that sexist, punitive cult. They never did give me a temple divorce--not until the day I resigned and declared the temple sealing to be "null and void." My ex-husband was a monster who beat his sister, two more temple wives, and many others. His family won't speak to him, but he's still roaming around, free.

I have an incurable disease, probably resulting from the infection from those first injuries, that went untreated. Often, I endure many weeks of almost unbearable pain, but then it goes away. I have PTSD, but I wake up from the nightmares, and can manage the anxiety attacks. Between the bad times, there is such great joy, such love with my children and grandchildren, such success for all of us, such hope in a future outside of Mormonism, that I have never wanted to die, except that one time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.