Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 11:29PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_folklore

I was taught that this stuff was doctrine. *LOL*

The following are examples of tales and popular concepts from Mormon folklore:

that Cain, the killer of Abel, is alive and wanders the earth, wearing no clothing but being covered by hair and that apostle David W. Patten encountered him once;[5][6][7] and that reported sightings of Bigfoot can be explained by this story;[8]

modern encounters and assistance from one or more of "The Three Nephites", three Nephite disciples chosen by Jesus in the Book of Mormon, who were blessed by Jesus to "never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men..."[9]

that on December 7, 1941, Japanese aircraft pilots attempted to bomb or strafe the church's Laie Hawaii Temple just prior to or just after the attack on Pearl Harbor, but were prevented from doing so by mechanical failures or an unseen protective force,[10] and that the Japanese pilot who attempted to bomb or strafe the Laie Hawaii Temple was converted to the LDS Church after he saw a picture of the temple in the possession of Mormon missionaries in Japan;[10]

that Jesus was married, possibly to Mary Magdalene, Mary, sister of Lazarus, and/or Martha, and that Jesus may have been a polygamist and had children;[11][12][13][14][15]

the miracle of the gulls, in which the crops of early Mormon settlers in Utah Territory were saved from destruction by a vast flock of seagulls that ate swarms of Mormon crickets that were devouring the crops;[16][17][18]

that in designing the Salt Lake Temple, Brigham Young had the foresight to make space accommodation for future technological advancements such as elevators, air conditioning, and electrical wiring;[19][20]

that Negroes were neutral in the War in Heaven and that is why they were not allowed to hold the Mormon priesthood before 1978;[21]

that Māori prophets or chieftains, including Paora Te Potangaroa and Tāwhiao, predicted the coming of Mormon missionaries to New Zealand;[22][23][24]

that Tāwhiao accurately predicted the site of the 1958 Hamilton New Zealand Temple before his death in 1894;[25][26]

that a flash of lightning or other divine manifestation protected the body of Joseph Smith from being mutilated by a mob after he had been killed at Carthage Jail;[27]

that those who persecuted the early Latter Day Saints and killed Joseph Smith suffered physically and mentally later in their lives, with some meeting gruesome or particularly painful deaths;[28]

that in 1739 a Roman Catholic monk predicted that within 100 years an angel would be sent by God to restore the lost gospel to the earth and that the true church would be established in "a valley that lies towards a great lake";[29][30]

that today's youth were "generals" in the War in Heaven and that when they return to heaven they will be revered;[31]

that when speaking to the Latter Day Saints after the death of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young took on the appearance, voice, and mannerisms of Smith and that this was a sign from God that Young was to be Smith's successor;[32][33]

that the writings of the early Church Fathers conform better with Mormonism than with modern Christianity;[34]

that the global flood of Noah constituted the baptism of the Earth;[35]

that Orson Hyde, an early apostle of the church, was of Jewish ancestry and that for this reason it was he in 1841 that dedicated Palestine for the return of the Jews;[36]

that wearing temple garments affords physical protection, and that some wearers have survived car wrecks, floods, and other calamities unscathed thanks to the protective power of the garments;[37]

that Albert Einstein said that geologist and LDS Church apostle James E. Talmage was the smartest man he had ever met;[38]

that officials of the Roman Catholic Church support the LDS Church's efforts to build the Rome Italy Temple and that this support was forthcoming because of the church's support of Proposition 8 in California in 2008;[39]

that a geological feature in Millard County, Utah known as the "Great Stone Face" resembles a profile of Joseph Smith's face;[40]

that Del Parson's painting "Christ in Red Robe" was produced under the direction of church general authorities, who suggested how to make it more accurate, until it was deemed the closest resemblance of Jesus Christ;[41][42][43]

that the "great and abominable church" described in the Book of Mormon can be identified as the Roman Catholic Church.[44]

============================================================

Predictions

Not to be confused with prophecies of Joseph Smith.

The following are examples of predictions or prophecies that are part of Mormon folklore:

that the church will reinstitute the practice of plural marriage after the second coming;[45]

that the day will come that the United States Constitution will "hang by a thread" and that members of the church will be central in rescuing it and the United States from destruction;[46][47][48][49][50] (See also: White Horse Prophecy)

that after the Ten Lost Tribes return, they will assist in building the Temple of the New Jerusalem on the Temple Lot in Independence, Missouri. The tenth Latter Day Saint Article of Faith states that Mormons believe in the “literal gathering of Israel and the restoration of the Ten Tribes” (see House of Joseph (LDS Church));

that God will restore the Adamic language.[51]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 11:32PM

Great list.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 12:08AM

>that a geological feature in Millard County, Utah known as the "Great Stone Face" resembles a profile of Joseph Smith's face;[40]

Judge for yourself:
http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/greatstoneface.html

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:08AM

How about the story of The Miracle of the Gulls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_gulls

I remember hearing this story countless times as a faith promoting lesson when I was growing up in Sandy, Utah. I don't think it's even mentioned now.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:21AM

The gull story was so well known when I was young, people in my birth town called Mormons "cricket stompers."

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:58AM

Oh yes!

I was brought up with that story as well! It was taught in primary lessons.

Ofcourse those days were before internet, and us poorly members in Europe had no way to research such local history from Utah USA.. even if we had thought of double checking.

But if that's never mentioned again... what about the monument of the seagull in SLC? Did they quietly remove that?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:45AM

There is documentation 'somewhere' to support the following, else I wouldn't know it. It's late and if no one confirms it, I'll look it up after golf and a spot of work in San Bernardino tomorrow:

In the years following the 1848 miracle of the gull(ed)s, the crickets/locust returned, with such devastating effect that rationing was instituted in the Great Salt Lake Valley and it was pretty restrictive.

The point being that if ghawd did indeed send the gulls in 1948, he was apparently too busy or too distracted to do so other years.

Hey! I found it via Google, and it's me, from 2013, being a junior Stevie Nicks Benson again! And I quote Will Bagley!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Growing up in TSCC one of the first 'proofs' we were offered of the truth of TSCC was the Miracle of the Seagulls. Ghawd so loved the Saints that he sent ... Here's how BYU wrote up an official version. Just try to keep your bosom from burning!
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Seagulls,_Miracle_of

During the first year in the Great Basin, most Latter-day Saint settlers resided in the Salt Lake Valley, although small settlements were also begun to the north at Kaysville, along the Weber River, and at Bountiful. Through the summer and fall of 1847, they planted 2,000 acres of winter wheat near the main settlement. A mild winter and thaw permitted plowing in early 1848, making it possible to plant more wheat and another 3,000 to 4,000 acres in corn and garden vegetables by spring. As spring arrived, pioneer farmers reported with pride that their crops appeared to be doing very well. But April and May frosts leveled some of the crops, and late May brought another devastation-hordes of insects began to destroy the crops. These insects, later dubbed "Mormon crickets," were as large as a man's thumb. Not a true cricket but a member of the katydid family, the Mormon cricket has only small wings and cannot fly. Pioneer diarists reported the invaders in the fields as early as May 22. Some described them as numbering in the millions; John Steele wrote that they appeared by the "thousands of tons." For more than a month, the crickets devastated the fields, devouring the new corn, beans, wheat, pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, melons, and other crops. Farmers battled the crickets with a variety of defensive measures but had little success. By early June, relief arrived in the form of the seagull. The appearance of gulls was described in a letter of June 9 to Brigham Young in the following manner: "The sea gulls have come in large flocks from the lake and sweep the crickets as they go; it seems the hand of the Lord is in our favor" (Hartley, p. 230). For the next three weeks, gulls appeared daily. They fed on the crickets, drank water, and then regurgitated before eating more crickets. There would be a harvest that year, after all.

I have no argument regarding the accuracy of this version. And no argument with using this story to support the contention that ghawd so loved the Saints that he sent his only begotten seagulls...

But now learn this, and contrast how this knowledge has been dampened down by TSCC. This is from Will Bagley's story on the hand cart tragedy; information needed to lay the foundation for some of the explanation regarding how BY screwed the pooch with regard to the hand cart companies.

http://user.xmission.com/~research/central/handcart.pdf

AS 1855 DREW TO A CLOSE, all was not well in Brigham Young’s Great Basin Kingdom. A plague of locusts that had been developing since the previous year became a crisis— an apostle estimated that grasshoppers had destroyed one fifth of Utah’s crops by July 1854— and the following winter was bone dry. An even worse grasshopper infestation returned in the spring of 1855. By late April the Deseret News reported that the pestiferous creatures were “threatening to destroy all vegetation as fast as it appears.” By mid-May, the party that accompanied Governor Young to the capital at Fillmore “found nearly all the wheat eat up by the Grass hoppers all the way from Salt Lake City,” a distance of 150 miles. The territory “seems to be one entire desolation,” Apostle Heber C. Kimball wrote to his son in England at the end of May 1855, “and, to look at things at the present time, there is not the least prospect of raising one bushel of grain in the valley this present season. Still,” he added hopefully, “the grasshoppers may pass away, so as to give us a chance to sow wheat late, and also some corn.”

By July, when not a drop of rain had fallen, a full-blown drought developed, creating suffocating clouds of dust. The parched canyons, north and south, began to burn. Embittered Utes told Andrew Love of Nephi that “the Mormons cut their timber & use it & pay them nothing for it, & they prefer burning it up.”

Kimball’s hopes that late plantings could produce a crop proved optimistic. “There are not more than one-half the people that have bread,” the apostle reported glumly the next spring, “and they have not more than one-half or one-quarter of a pound per day per person.” Famine stalked the territory. Even Kimball and Brigham Young put their families on rations. Young himself had to “say something with regard to the hard times” as 1856 began. “I do not apprehend the least danger of starving, for until we eat up the last mule, from the tip of the ear to the end of the fly whipper, I am not afraid of starving to death.”

At the same meeting, Jedediah Grant, Young’s counselor in the First Presidency, took the same bold tack: he was “glad that our crops failed. Why? Because it teaches the people a lesson, it keeps the corrupt at bay, for they know that they would have to starve, or import their rations, should they come to injure us in the Territory of Utah.”

But during that grim winter and spring of 1856 thousands of desperately worried Utahns were already surviving on grass and thistle roots as they watched their livestock starve. To complicate matters, almost five thousand new settlers had arrived in the territory in 1855, the third largest emigrating season Utah had yet witnessed, but it came at a substantial cost. “When br. Erastus Snow arrived, on the 1st of this month, he came in the morning and informed me that he had run me in debt nearly fifty thousand dollars; he said, ‘Prest. Young’s name is as good as the bank,’”

BY screwed the pooch six ways from Sunday in the hand cart company disaster. It would take real devotion (or fear?) to read Prof. Bagley's entire treatise and avoid reaching the conclusion that BY was not in touch with ghawd, but was certainly on Mammon's mailing list.

But of course my main point here is to decry the fact that the devastation caused by the locusts in 1854 & 1855 is never mentioned. And why do you suppose that is? (he asked, innocently...)
- - http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/36715/#571674

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:13AM

Although I suspect this site is ran by a TBM, I do find that they investigate and provide citations for "true" stories and FPR's...But they also show those rumors that are totally false.

http://holyfetch.com/

It's sort of the snopes.com for Mo's

Here's what they said about the seagulls. They say it might be true, but highly exaggerated. http://www.holyfetch.com/Mormon_pioneers/pioneers_seagulls.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 03:15AM by dydimus.

Posted by: Anonandon ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 07:35AM

It says the signers of the Decleration of Independence appeared as spirits and asked for temple work to be done for them
http://holyfetch.com/talk_faves/foundingfathers_templework.html

Seriously...?

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:58AM

Concur with the posters above. I grew up learning that almost every one of the these points was church doctrine. I don't how many times I heard the Miracle of the Gulls story in church. (And it had to be true because otherwise why would Utah make the Califomia Gull its state bird).

Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 07:45AM

The city of Enoch was where the Gulf of Mexico is right now. It currently orbits around Kolob.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 11:14AM

Yep. It's him alright.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.