Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shadowofadoubt ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 04:36PM

I really thought they couldn't top the assigned splits with the missionaries. Well, folks; they did.

They passed out a schedule assigning families to feed the missionaries for EVERY single day for months! We have three sets of missionaries so it adds up to quite a bit.

Now, usually, feeding the missionaries is one of the few things that I don't mind. They are, with some exceptions, just unlucky kids doing their best to be 'good.' And they do get hungry. But geezus!! Don't tell me when I will be forced to open my home and feed people!!

They also made it quite clear that if we are unable to feed them that day we are responsible for finding a replacement home. Hah!

When I asked one of the missionaries why they were starting this program (since they already get fed a ton) he said it was a way to get into less active homes.

Well, gee. That idea is just grrreat! 'We see you don't like to come to church so we're gonna go ahead and send the missionaries over and demand food!'
That'll do the trick.

Bonus: one of my 'assigned' dinners is on my birthday. What a sweet tender mercy. (And no, I'm not doing it)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:02PM

How much you wanna bet so many will not take up the church on their offer of this feeding schedule? So many will "forget" or not answer their door. I think it will work out for them like the building cleaning. They must think they can keep laying on the requirements since there are still so many suckers who keep attending.

Of course, if you were up for it, you could have the missionaries over and then enlighten them about the truth of Mormonism. Next thing you know, they won't sign you up anymore. Ta da!

Date: September 29, 2015 09:11PM

You know, I just might. At least then I would be transferred to the blacklist!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:15PM

I used to give the mishey's coupon books for free food at McDonalds. I know they loved it. They were able to go there for breakfast and lunch while riding their bikes around town.

It cost me $10 to$20 depending on my generosity, and I didn't have to have them over or cook.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 09:53PM

Who is "they?" I would be setting them straight on that.

Tell whomever made out the schedule that wherever your name is, that person can substitute their own name. There -- you found a replacement. Two can play that game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 10:01PM by summer.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 05:42AM

+1

Date: September 30, 2015 07:54AM

It was the ward mission leader. He made sure to let us know that it was supported by the bish.

Oh well in THAT case, come on over!...

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 10:02PM

I would not be surprised if this was another TSCC ploy to give less of the parent's money to the missionaries for meals and to pass the cost on to the members.

It irks me that they give the families who house the missionaries so little when TSCC saves so much from not having to rent an apartment.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:03AM

*"save"$* of course, and get a peep - two peeps, or more, in this case - into the lives of members.

It's a snoop. Raid & spy on the FOOD "supply".

A way to have more tentacles into the sacred space of members/ "inactive" saints/ formans/ jacks, noms, exes, tbms, whatever...

That way they can have an accounting not only of the volunteers, so to speak, but also all household members. Get in your personal space.

I invite people - whomever I want - over to my home wheneverI want. They don't invite themselves, or force themselves upon me.

This isn't primary. You aren't forced to use the one and only color they give you. You can choose now. This is elementary!

There aren't enough open doors. LDSink is trying to get these missionaries accustomed to being in "home" settings, hoping so-called testimonies will rub off on each other, in a good way.

More likely they find a meal, and manners (oh Mormons, never mind) and maybe a mate. But certainly house training, children, 'safe' zones.

The company needs to put its money where its mouth is and set the missionary squads up with an app, or calendar, where people can do it spontaneously, on the spur of the moment. Then the minutes can decide which is best, if there are overlaps.

And if nobody calls or signs up that day, forget it. Missionaries should have their freakin lunch packed anyway, just in case. If members don't call you that day, and you're discouraged, go out to eat, or knock on a door at dinner time. It almost always works. Or go home and eat, rest.

When animals/ people don't have to hunt (for food/ readiness/ spontanious experiences) themselves, or have to look around the next corner to achieve wisdom, they may become weak, and expectacious.

You are supposed to be a missionary for JSC- Joseph Smith Church, you know. Can't be cruising around all week weak. FREE (meal) a gent see.

The members are the slaves of the missionaries, who own them. The mysteries demand food now! You have to sign up now. They need to know where they're eating on Halloween, for example, or thanks-pigging-out,

The guy making the list puts M1&2 on the Watson family, on the 9th, because it's his birthday and the Wat's son turns 8 that week; set # 2 eats with the Parson family that night because that's the day he gets paid and his less-than-active daughter is visiting. The 10th...

The members pay the Church but the church doesn't pay the missionaries. LDS make the missionaries leaches.

Last I visited the House of STAN, they with pass lists around mens rooms/ leasthood asking for signups on adopt missionaries to nurse, an evening meal, hopefully a few per month, hopefully for 2 or 4 mouths and 4-6 extra stomachs.

Robber barons.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 02:59AM

I agree that it is a ploy to give the mishies less so the morg can keep more.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:48AM

Loaves and mishes

Date: September 30, 2015 07:54AM

Hehe :)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 03:58AM

Wow. That is really manipulative behavior on the part of the church. They don't see it that way, but it really is.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 10:49AM

They know they are manipulating you. They just don't want you to catch on.

Posted by: mbslytherin ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 04:44AM

You should tape satanic symbols on your floor, and then have the mishies come over and eat bowls of cereal with you while sitting around the symbols. Every once in a while, you can burst out into yells of gibberish. They'll probably never come back.

Problem solved.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 07:46AM

++

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 07:52AM

Well, after reading this, I'll get some bags ready. If LUNCHES for LOVE can get federal help (not full funding, but tax breaks) for the crap they give to needy kids, it ought to be good enough for the missionaries!

If they show up at my door, they may get similar bags:

A package of ramen, a mini box of cereal and a non-perishable box of milk, a mini-tube or pkg of crackers, a fruit cup.

I wanna add another little tid-bit. A laminated, Faith based place mat. With quotes from LDS<dot>org, that contradict everything they are teaching! Bible quotes that contradict Mormonism. Little seeds that will cause them to stop for a minute, even if it's only to throw the mat away as an "anti-" article.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 06:21AM

As long as Mormons and exmos put up with dictatorial intrusions, they'll continue.

Missionary parents and whoever pressured these guys to leave home are responsible for them. Non-mos, exmos, and busy Mormon families have their own lives and priorities.

People in their homes have a 100% right to say who can visit them and who can eat their food. No means no. Anyone who can't or won't use the word will have to put up with abuse.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 08:04AM

I really don't see this as the end of the world.

I've been in wards where this has been tried before. Of course it always failed miserably. It really was a simple ploy to get the missionaries into more homes.

I've sat and discussed this in leadership meetings and we just thought we could feed the missionaries a little more and at the same time try and spread the effort of feeding them around to families that don't usually feed them.

It wasn't an attempt to increase spying, or anything nefarious like that.

Date: September 30, 2015 08:15AM

I do agree that it is not for spying but I do think it is a bold fellowshipping tactic. Maybe some wards are different but ours has always been very generous with missionary dinners. They pass around the list every Sunday and most people, including myself, sign up. Our missionaries have told us they average 5+ meals a week at members houses. That's not bad.

I'm sure this will fail miserably. I'm really just annoyed with the intrusion they are making on people who lack the chutzpah to say 'no.' And the many, many people who won't know they are even on the 'list' until the missionaries call or just show up!

It's just another way for their fellowshipping to backfire.

Date: September 30, 2015 08:41AM

Yes, it always backfired. I've seen it personally tried twice in the wards I've been in.

It just meant people on the fringes of the church got more annoyed at the church. It had the exact opposite effect than our Holy Ghost inspired meetings were telling us it would have.

That special spirit we prayed for at the start of our leadership meetings, he's such a bloody joker.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 01:21PM

scotslander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That special spirit we prayed for at the start of
> our leadership meetings, he's such a bloody joker.

^^^ yes and a bit of a jerk too.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 08:13AM

You are responsible for providing a replacement home? Easy! Use the same technique that they did: just assign someone.

I suggest either the bishop or the ward missionary leader.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 10:01AM

I signed up once to feed the missionaries when the passed around a list in RS several years ago. Then I was told that the missionaries needed to eat dinner at 5:00 so that they would have the evening free for appointments. But they couldn't be in my home with me and my children without my husband there. He would have to take off early from work. I told them someone else could feed them.

Date: September 30, 2015 10:21AM

Mormons act like the church leaders tell you to jump, and you ask "how high and how often"? If you don't want to feed the missionaries, just say, "no".

Don't be passive-aggressive and ignore the poor fellows. Let the ward mission leader know you are not participating. If you really have the gumption, tell him that you will invite the missionaries over when it's convenient for you, not when you are assigned. If you want to help them, but don't want them in your home, give them some cash or a gift certificate to a restaurant. They'll like that better than being forced to carry on awkward conversation for their supper.

I can't believe how Mormons just take what leaders dish out as if they are enslaved to the church. You are paying them, not the other way around.

Date: September 30, 2015 10:32AM

I most definitely will say 'no.' I'm just pretty appalled that this seems like an OK thing to do. And I pity those who think this direction is anything BUT man-made. They will have a harder time saying 'no.'

Date: September 30, 2015 10:56AM

That's what they are counting on.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 10:55AM

In my cousin's stake, you can't feeed missionaries unless you have an investigator to feed them as well. That will be next, assigned days and you must provide them a target.

Date: September 30, 2015 10:58AM

I've seen that one tried in the places I've lived in too.

That was an even bigger failure. Rather than motivating the members to drag along a reluctant friend or acquaintance to a dull dinner, it just meant the missionaries never got a dinner appointment.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 11:35AM

I don't do that. If I wish to entertain someone in MY HOUSE I will invite them. Nobody tells me who to feed or invite in......!!!!!

Date: September 30, 2015 11:43AM

desertman Wrote:
> Nobody tells me who
> to feed or invite in......!!!!!

Well except my wife. She tells me who we are inviting over for dinner, and when the invite is for. :D

I then bow my head and say yes, and do my duty - make sure we are stocked with the important stuff: beer, wine and cocktails.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 11:56AM

What an inspired program!

When I was a mishie we were not allowed to eat with the members. Our mission president was inspired to tell us we couldn't do that, it was a waste of our important time.

That spirit can be so fickle.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 12:17PM

Why the hell is the word "feedings" being used...cuz they're babies? Feedings sounds odd, like animals are involved.

Date: September 30, 2015 12:25PM

Because that is precisely what it reminds me of!

Your turn to feed the sheep!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 12:53PM

shadowofadoubt Wrote:
> Because that is precisely what it reminds me of!
>
> Your turn to feed the sheep!

Oh okay! I thought the ward mission leader was calling it that lol

Posted by: outclassed ( )
Date: September 30, 2015 12:55PM

Wouldn't it be better for the missionaries to do it the other way around?

When I served in a distant foreign land many blood moons ago I can recall only 2 times in 2 years that we, as "Elders", were fed a meal by the local church members. There were many reasons for this, local customs, poverty, limited number of actual members, I know how to cook and understood I should feed myself, etc...

However, we did host many a meal for the less fortunate (members included) at the local meetinghouses and I made it a point to volunteer at the various "soup kitchens" and/or orphanages.

You know, actual service. Yeah, we did it to hopefully snare the next victim but I still feel like at least some of what we did was worthwhile.

(I'm only sharing my experiences, not trying to state in any way that I was a better missionary or our mission/program was better - I was indeed, by morg standards, a terrible missionary)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.