Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dougpostmo ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 06:20PM

Let's see if you have the same inspiration as President Monson. My bets:

Ron Rasband
Kim Clark
Mitt Romney

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:01PM

I would vote for Mitt just to keep him out of the house.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:15PM

Whitney clayton, Benjamin hoyos,Marvin k jensen

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:20PM

Throwing this out there again... With three slots there will certainly be a Latino apostle and TSCC will milk it as far south of the boarder as they can!

Otherwise it will be two white general authorities who more than anything are obedient to church leaders.

That's the NUMBER ONE qualification.

Posted by: TedSexington ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 08:03PM

Lyndon Whitney Clayton III
Ronald A Rasband
Allan F Packer

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 08:22PM

Allan F. Packer is a good guess. They need somebody minding the Little Factory now that Daddy is gone.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 08:06PM

Larry, Curlie, and Moe

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:22PM

Larry and his brother Darrell and his other brother Darrell.

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 08:14PM

My money is on two of these three horses. The question is who is the most "church broke".

Ron Rasband
Kim Clark
Whitney clayton

but let us not forget our dark horse in the race (someone not white and delightsome). Just as long as he is 70 plus, so his odds of making the top spot are slim.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 08:15PM by darkshadow.

Posted by: beguilednomore ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 09:03PM

Kim Clark
Paul H. Dunn (posthumously inducted)
Von Keetch

Posted by: waisted24years ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 10:58PM

Ronald Rasband, James Hamula, and probably Whitney Clayton.

Do we get prizes if we are right?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 11:07PM

Brian Hales, conditional on sharing his wife Laura with the quorum of the 12.

On a more serious note, Elder Larry Echo Hawk is the only North American Indian general authority. Odds are not good that he will be selected. He was sent to the Philippines and made to suck hind tit to a white general authority. Never mind that he was the first American Indian state attorney general, or that prior to his general authority position, he was the head of the BIA. Mormonism has not been kind to him. Too bad he won't see the light and resign.

Posted by: alf garnett ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 03:53AM

If the leadership had any sense, they would seriously consider Gerrit Gong and/or Clayton Christensen. Both thoroughly decent, and reasonably open-minded men.

Posted by: alf garnet ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 03:55AM

Whitney Clayton, Allan Packer would both be disastrous for the church. So mfully expect them to be appointed these short-sighted alf garnettwits.

Posted by: alf garnett ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 03:57AM

That came out all wrong! Whitney Clayton, Allan Packer would be disastrous for the church. So fully expect them to be appointed by these myopic twits.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:21AM

Boyd Packer had a lot of kids, didn't he? I can't believe Allan would be the best of the bunch. More likely he's the only one who had nothing better to do, so he was "available" to be a Seventy.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:05AM

Clayton Christensen is a great human being and on the saintly end of the Latter-day Saints. That's one reason he'll never be chosen.

The other reason is that he is in poor health right now. Very sad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_M._Christensen

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:06AM

I honestly believe that an African American will be called and will either be 1st or 2nd in the order of the 3 to be named,but that's just a hunch.I also believe another BP is the last thing they want-we will soon see.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:37AM

Rasband and Hamula

They will leave the third spot for April conference.

If I am wrong and they fill it now, then Clayton

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 07:42AM

They could spare a lot of money by not installing three extra dudes.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 02:10PM

This is only the 345,938th post devoted to this subject.

I virtually guarantee one of the newbies will be foreign-based. Ronald Raspberry is sure to named one of them.

Has anyone here met one in person before they got called?

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 02:21PM

Deez Nuts has been polling well.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 08:49PM

Arrogant, Rich and Entitled. Those are my three predictions.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 02, 2015 08:36PM

My choices to fill up the Q12 have been the same since January. At the time, there were no open seats, so the picks were hypothetical. Their order was as follows:

1. Clayton. The asshat behind Prop 8 and Kate Kelly. Never mind that both were fiascoes – the church doesn't care. He's shown he'll do whatever he's told and whatever it takes, no matter how low. He'll make a great Dark One.

2. Kim Clark. His move from HBS dean to BYU-I prez destroyed his career and credibility among his academic peers. A sacrifice like that, I thought, would surely make him a pustule. But since then he's been called to the 70, and I doubt they'd promote him so quickly. Also, I read (here, I think) that he's sick, and TSCC can't have a short-timer in the Q12. He's dropped in the rankings; still, he was such a good little fascist in Rexburg that I can't totally dismiss him.

3. Robbins. His April 2004 GC address on tithing certified him as a first-class SOB. Then he delivered another GC address in October 2014 where he effectively and effusively kissed BKP's wrinkled ass. He's a proven yes-man and so will be rewarded.

Since then, Rasband has increased in visibility, and seems to have an inside track to be named. Callister has been in the mix for a while, and with three slots opening, has a decent chance. I don't think the church is quite ready to name a non-white; rather, they'll wait until Monson and/or Hales goes, to ensure that the new guy is low enough in the pecking order to prevent him from ever rising, like pond scum, to the top. Costa is as good a choice as any, since he's an established lickspittle in his own right.

The final, official pre-GC Pine Box Derby ranking stands at:

1. Clayton
2. Robbins
3. Rasband
4. Callister
5. Clark
6. Costa

Now, some comments about a few who will NEVER be added to the Q12, despite them being popular picks on RFM.

Baby Packer: The Q12 will soon be sweeping BKP's memory under the carpet. They have no desire to remind the world of such a disliked public church figure. Hinckley as living profit couldn't get Baby Hinckley into the Q12; a dead BKP can't get Baby Packer in either.

Willardmitt: I don't get the weird fixation on him. He gets named by someone, every time, apparently for no other reason than he's Very Rich and Famous. This is an easy pick – too easy. But it doesn't make sense. If he did sit up in the comfy chairs, Mormons everywhere would be regularly reminded of one of their most disappointing losses ever. Each time they saw him, they'd think about what might have been. TSCC doesn't want that kind of constant bitter reminder, especially at the self-congratulatory GCs.

Besides, why would Willardmitt even want the spot? He doesn't need the reported million that new Q12s get, and most likely has already had his 2nd anointing. He already receives enough TBM praise to feed his ego (2012 wasn't HIS fault, you see). An apostleship would handcuff his lifestyle. Today, he answers to no one, but a junior Q12 has to jump on command. What about his La Jolla mansion, the one with the elevators for his cars? TSCC prefers its leaders' luxury to fly under the radar so as not to attract attention, and this level of conspicuous opulence might be embarrassing. Last but not least, if Willardmitt were called into the Q12, Ann would have to wear garments again, and I doubt that would go over well. Nope – if a new calling's in the works, it will be as a "special ambassador" or something, like David Kennedy in the 1970s.

Huntsman: Seriously? From all actions and appearances, Huntsman's a NOM. He's definitely not church broke. He has a very public apostate daughter, and he (along with Willardmitt) is on the record as accepting evolution.

Steve Young: Doesn't seem to be all that churchy, or anywhere near TBM. As I said, just being rich & famous doesn't cut it. Donny Osmond is arguably more famous, and way more church broke.

But I will make a prediction about a famous Mormon. Within 1-2 years, Dale Murphy will be named as a GA, into the 1Q70 or 2Q70. Dale's fully churched-up, having been a MP. And as a convert, once he's in the 70 he'll stay there for the rest of his life, swapping locker room stories with Gifford Nielsen.

Date: October 03, 2015 10:49AM

Excellent comment; lots of work went into that one.

And we'll see.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: October 02, 2015 11:20PM

It's crystal clear that the new Apostles should be Elder Eric Kettunen, Elder Tal Bachman, and Elder Steve Benson.

On second thought, put Sandra Tanner and Susan I/S in the quorum for two of these guys so the sisters can finally get some seniority ;)

Posted by: Cartman ( )
Date: October 02, 2015 11:38PM

I was thinking 3 Steves:

Steve Martin (because someone told me he was a member so it must be true)

Steve Young

Steve Benson

All in favor please so indicate by raising your right hand.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 01:03AM

$10,000 on Ronald Rasband.
$1,000 on Whitney Clayton
$10 on Tad Callister

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 01:23AM

Any chance that they'll pick someone THEY know about but that we, the loyal opposition, don't? People completely off our radar?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 01:24AM

The rumor is Rasband and Hamula.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 03:42AM

Rasband, Clayton, Hamula

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 04:09AM

I went to school with an Alan Rasband. I wonder if he is any relation....

Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 09:50AM

Gifford Nielsen is a good bet since he is from the Pres of the First Quorum of the 70. He is a great PR guy for the church. He is well-liked and a celebrity (at least in the eyes of the Morridor)

Kim Clark will be rewarded for stepping away from Havard and taking on BYU-lite job.

Costa will be the token Latin (non-white) dude for the church to say how inclusive they are and besides, they must keep up somewhat with the Catholics and their Latino Pope

Date: October 03, 2015 10:53AM

I don't think Clark will be rewarded, since he was a huge flop at BYU-Idaho. They want no such men leading their kingdom.

At this point I'd go for them rewarding Jensen instead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.