Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 11:49AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 11:53AM

what's he like? can you tell us more?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 04:30PM

He looks powerful! He looks charismatic!

Former President of Huntsman Chemical!

Serving the Lord for the last 19 years!

Only 64 years old with 22 grandchildren!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 12:26PM

He looks like Bennie from LA Law.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 12:00PM

I don't follow these things at all, but if he's white with years of church service and either a wealthy businessman or a CES stallwart, and is outspoken on current political/religious topics then he's a good candidate.

Oh, I forgot to add - a boring speaker (unless you are TBM)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 12:01PM by Tom Padley.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 01:33PM

I sustain you in this

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 02:17PM

Me too. With Hamala thrown in as well.

Two more white and delightsome guys. A businessman and a lawyer. Very novel and cutting edge.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 04:35PM

I predicted Hamula too, because he acted and sounded like a genuinely nice guy.

And they can't appoint two nice guys at once. That's the unwritten law of the church.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 02:18AM

Ha. "Like", Historischer.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 01:41PM

If the BIG 13 select (I'm sorry, if God selects) two more Utah white guys in their early 60's it won't go over well.

Even TBM's have to see that God has no hand in choosing the next two board members of The Corporation of The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Seriously. Who is buying this shit any longer?

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 04:33PM

Around 5 million active members. Give or take a few.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 01:54PM

If you want to watch a video with Ronny Rasband saying nothing, here it is. He's sitting in the shadows of Dallin Oaks at some priesthood training meeting. Rasband holds the hymn book up with Oaks; sits and nods when he is supposed to; plows through his scriptures when Oaks is talking or listening to questions; and is just playing his part as the junior companion to Oaks. It's Rasband playing the part, perhaps hoping for a bigger promotion from the Presidency of the Seventy to the Quorum of Twelve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XqR6IOcAw

Date: September 18, 2015 05:10PM

This made me want to go back to being tortured. Those leadership meetings...OMG I hated that nonsense.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 02:19PM

If only I had hung in there for my calling and election made sure.... I could have had my own peep stone and told you who the next guy could have been.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 03:00PM

I already predicted Rasband several weks ago!

Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 03:02PM

I met that asshole on my mission. he looked me in the eye and told me I was struggling. I was like, "holy shoot fart, dang, crap! This guy can read my mind!" The church must be twoo! Of course he could see I was struggling... I had a depressed look on my face cuz I was on a stupid cult mission and having "testimony" issues. Fuck this guy. He is all about power and image.

Date: September 18, 2015 03:04PM

sonofperdition Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He is
> all about power and image.

Perfect for the highest of callings.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 03:19PM

LDS, Inc. needs more old white men from SLC. How else are they going to start thinking outside the box?

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 05:13PM

Do they have to be married with children, but not living with them?

Posted by: Harold_B_Pee ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 05:27PM

I doubt it will be Rasband. He's already too rich and powerful and my guess is they only want someone who would be "church poor". That way they can ensure the new apostle won't spill the beans about any financial dealings or decide to bolt when he finds out that they really haven't spoken with Jesus face-to-face, only had the same "spiritual witness" all the other members have.

It seems that they vet a certain type of person for the apostle calling--seems like we've had lots of educators (BYU presidents and lawyers). Perry and Hales were business men, but I don't think they were at the financial level as Rasband (since he was president of Huntsman).

That is why I don't think Romney, Zwick or Huntsman would ever be called apostles. They are already so wealthy and powerful, they wouldn't be as malible as some of these other men. If they didn't like the calling, they could just walk away and give everyone else the finger. I would doubt any of these men would sign non-disclosure agreements either (as the other newd apostles are required to do). And a million dollar sign-on bonus (as all new apostles get -- aledgedly)...chump change to Romney or Huntsman.

Another interesting tidbit, when you think about it, really the ONLY people outside of the 1st Presidency who KNOW the TRUE financial situation of the church, is the presiding bishopric. Those guys always seem to be money-manager types and whenever they are released they are put out to pasture and NEVER get called to be apostles. They know too much and they have certainly seen behind the financial curtain of the church. Far safer to call them as mission presidents in some pristine place like Hawaii and keep them quiet.

So, I believe the new apostles will probably be white, from the mormon corridor and have multiple degrees after their names. They will also be smart and may even have some wealth from their previous careers and will certainly be connected via family or friendship to the current leadership. However, I dont think they will have huge wealth, because then they couldn't be bought off or controlled. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 07:02PM

Clayton and Hamula. Know them both. Both are lawyers, which is the same as theologian. Hamula has good hair, which is a deal clincher.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 07:44PM

whitey whitey whitey.

Global church, my ass.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 07:49PM

I think Clayton will be one

Posted by: joebagodonuts ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 08:50PM

Well, this dude was right. Not a really hard pick - President of the Presidency of the Seventy.

Date: October 03, 2015 10:17PM

Right. So predicable many of us here picked them out.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 10:57PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Right. So predicable many of us here picked them
> out.

Still, it makes you more of a "true prophet" than Tommy ever was.
Just don't ask me to blindly follow you or anything, ok? ;-)

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 11:36PM

Your skills at prophecy sure beat those of the Big 15. But don't start counting your tithing revenues yet because it's a hard sell for you to get any of us here to fork over money to you just because you have to be a true prophet :)

Date: October 05, 2015 12:20PM

Mormonism has shown "The World" through the worst prophets on the planet that "The World" is a better at inspiring people and proficiency from mere humans - no priesthoods required.

"Just don't ask me to blindly follow you or anything, ok?"

I already know your answer if I asked!

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: September 18, 2015 11:43PM

It looks like he has gas. Oh wait- he probably is a gas bag. Maybe working for a chemical company did that to him.

-Dennis

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 05:13AM

A very good pick EB! I actually predicted that they would choose at least 1 man of color with there being 3 vacancies and I was completely wrong.Although I've been completely out of the Church for more than 14 years,I thought the church was recently starting to trend away from some it's past embarrassments.I guess not.Anyway,your prediction is impressive.

Date: October 05, 2015 12:22PM

lr2014 Wrote:
> Anyway,your
> prediction is impressive.

Someone posted Rasband had given some talk on religious freedom and from the sound bytes he sounded like Oaks and I knew Oaks had hand picked him. I just needed the official announcement to know I was right.

Like old Gordo said, it was an inspired hunch.

Date: October 05, 2015 12:42PM

My take on it all was that Rasband was Oaks' pick and Renlund was Nelson's pick.

I'm wondering who was pushing Stevenson. Maybe being from Logan and successful in business, L Tom himself came back from the grave and made his choice known. Or maybe he was a Ballard and Cook guy.

Date: October 05, 2015 01:45PM

LOL!

"In April 2009, after Neil L. Andersen left the Presidency of the Seventy to join the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Rasband became the senior and presiding member of the seven-man presidency."
http://www.in.com/ronald-a-rasband/biography-241491.html

What a crappy prediction I made. It was already a sure thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.