Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 02:35PM

I'm continuing this from a previous post. It was about a video by LDS, Inc encouraging parents to disinherit children that are not temple worthy.

First: I know many a Mormon who has lied their way through serving a "worthy" mission and getting a temple recommend. A program like this encourages hypocrisy and dishonesty in children.

Second: It's just possible that the parents, after disinheriting a child, might mismanage their own wealth, or have it stolen, and end up needing help from the children that went out and made it on their own. Especially if the inheritance is all tied-up together until the death of both parents. All could be lost before the kids reach that date. This happened with the Osmand Family. Dad, rather than pay each kid a salary, made the kids keep all the money in one pot of investments. Their accountant mismanaged/stole the whole thing and now the boys are having to work until they drop to support their families. Donny, Jimmy and Marie have been doing pretty well on their own but the oldest brothers haven't had it so well because they were mainly a part of the whole family. Holding things in joint family ownership can save on taxes but if anything goes wrong everyone suffers. It also makes it tough for the kids who have different talents, abilities, and mindset than the parents. Parents might think one kid is wasting his time playing guitar but he may end-up wealthy and humanitarian like Bono. The LDS video made the dad seem like a real judgmental, sanctimonious prick IMO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 02:55PM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Second: It's just possible that the parents, after
> disinheriting a child, might mismanage their own
> wealth, or have it stolen, and end up needing help
> from the children that went out and made it on
> their own. Especially if the inheritance is all
> tied-up together until the death of both parents.
> All could be lost before the kids reach that date.
> This happened with the Osmand Family. Dad, rather
> than pay each kid a salary, made the kids keep all
> the money in one pot of investments. Their
> accountant mismanaged/stole the whole thing and
> now the boys are having to work until they drop to
> support their families. Donny, Jimmy and Marie
> have been doing pretty well on their own but the
> oldest brothers haven't had it so well because
> they were mainly a part of the whole family.
> Holding things in joint family ownership can save
> on taxes but if anything goes wrong everyone
> suffers. It also makes it tough for the kids who
> have different talents, abilities, and mindset
> than the parents. Parents might think one kid is
> wasting his time playing guitar but he may end-up
> wealthy and humanitarian like Bono. The LDS video
> made the dad seem like a real judgmental,
> sanctimonious prick IMO.

I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY agree with all of the above...

...with the added observation that the mother seems to think she is raising robots with computer programming rather than richly varied human beings who, beginning in at least late childhood, have the RIGHT to disagree with the values, interests, and priorities of their parents.

The daughter does NOT [in effect] need to be de-bugged...she is a whole, complete, adult human being all on her own!!!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 02:56PM

Would one not expect, after a parent donates the estate to LDS Inc, and then has major health problems, for LDS inc simply to handle all of their bills?

That would be the ethical and Christian thing to do.

Should we not expect the local bishop to put on his helping hand t shirt and open up the checkbook?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 02:56PM by deco.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:05PM

When he became quite elderly and had trouble caring for himself, my father's bishop approached my father and suggested that he sign over his (paid for) house to the church. In return, the bishop said that they would arrange a nice nursing home for my father to live in. My father asked if the church would then be paying for the nursing home.

The bishop said, "No. Medicare would be paying for it."

My father declined their not-so-generous offer. He later moved in with one of his daughters.

For LDS Corp, it's all about the money - and ONLY the money.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 05, 2015 01:48AM

LDS Inc.---it's all about family. Getting all the family's money, that is.

LDSInc. is so disgusting, beyond belief.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:03PM

... Where is this video?

Date: September 04, 2015 03:03PM

This video is damning.

It needs to be mirrored around the interwebz, in places where the comments will not be disabled.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:10PM

deco Wrote:
> This video is damning.
>
> It needs to be mirrored around the interwebz, in
> places where the comments will not be disabled.

I agree totally...I think this video ought to be distributed as widely as is possible.

It actually does provide an accurate "picture" of what it means (in large part) to be Mormon...and what it means to be a controlling, judgmental Mormon parent...or any of their unfortunate, Mormon-raised offspring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 03:11PM by tevai.

Date: September 04, 2015 03:25PM

Shummy Wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6b6nfj6T44#t=11m1
> 0s

Video already pulled. One must wonder how much time LDS security spends in this forum.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:27PM

it's been pulled. Guess they couldn't stand the heat. Imagine that.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:43PM

The video may have gotten pulled because it was getting a lot of negative comments calling tscc a "cult" for encouraging parents to disown their children and give their inheritance to the church.

We had a similar situation arise in my DH's family over the disposition of his parents' trusts.

LDS Inc. & TBM Family members vs Ex-Mo Family members...it was ugly.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:12PM

Not sure why the church is always dissing Satan's plan when this video is absolute proof that they actually prefer it and teach it. Force your kids to obey and stay in the church by holding money over their heads...Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 03:18PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:34PM

I just watched the thing again when I went to get the link.....barely a half hour ago.

Now is the great day of RfM power!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:34PM

I knew they'd pull that video as soon as they realized the exmo kids were looking at it. I can't believe they were stupid enough to make the video in the first place. What did they think was going to happen?

If anyone had any doubts about what the cult is all about, that video made it perfectly clear. It's all about collecting other peoples money, down to their very last cent. Den of thieves.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 03:54PM

My elderly parents were approached many years ago by someone from the Billy Graham organization. They used to go to hear him preach and may have donated a few bucks here and there. They thought he was an excellent preacher and loved the music. This guy came to their house to talk to them about donating a significant portion of their estate to the organization.

Fortunately my parents hadn't just ridden into town on the turnip truck. Sleezy to say the least with obviously elderly people. I never minded Billy Graham and thought he was a much more honourable man than most evangelical preachers including his son. (I certainly disagreed with him on lots of issues). Once my parents told me about what happened, I thought a lot less of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 03:55PM by annieg.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 04:41PM

They are embarrassed by their own stupidity and stinky poop.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 04, 2015 11:09PM

I knew a guy from a prominent Lethbridge LDS family (like me) who was adopted (like me) and who turned into a hellraiser (like me). His family, including at least one uncle, thought he was a piece of shit. I considered him a friend back in my teen years. The dude made some less than stellar life choices but nobody deserves to be abandoned by their family like he was. Dad put up with a lot from us boys...but never once did we feel alone, unwanted and unloved.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 11:10PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.