Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Avid reader ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:36PM

I've read a book review by Alex Beam in the Wall Street Journal about the new book "Mormon Rivals: The Romneys, the Huntsmans and the Pursuit of Power." Anyone out there who has read the book have an opinion about it? Bean's review states that Huntsman "doesn't come off very well in this book."

Any other comments about the feud between the Romneys and the Huntsmans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:43PM

Abby Huntsman is the winner.

Posted by: Koa ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 01:28PM

thingsithink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Abby Huntsman is the winner.

+1

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 03:07PM

I recently read the book. I thought it was a pretty good read. In my opinion Jon Huntsman Sr. comes off the best. I hadn't realized that he was such a self-made man. He also comes across as down to earth with all his charity work. George Romney also comes across as a pretty good guy.

The two sons seem like they got a lot of advantages in life just handed to them (Huntsman more so than Romney).

I would recommend the book! (Also it didn't really seem like there was a "feud" between the families. The "rivals" aspect seemed more of an abstract thing, likely highlighted to make the title of the book seem more interesting).

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 12:15AM

I just reserved this at the local library. Looking forward to reading it.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 12:39AM

That sounds like an interesting book. I'd like to read it too.

I can guess where a rivalry could have originated. Huntsman Sr. worked in the Nixon White House, and Romney Sr. wasn't political enough for Nixon. In any case, Romney must have been surprised at Huntsman not only competing with him for Mormon votes, but also cutting off his access to any Huntsman money.

I'll bet that Romney also figured he deserved it, and I wouldn't ignore his wife's feelings either. They knew he had served as a Stake President and raised all his sons in the church. They had to figure that Huntsman Jr. was working against God's purposes for them and for America. At best they would conclude he was ignorant, at worst maybe apostate.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 06:09AM

Jon Huntsman Sr. made statements saying that he resented the SLOC sentiment that Jon's money was also their money to fund the 2002 Olympics.

NOW WHERE WOULD SLOC GET AN IDEA LIKE THAT ????? Its almost AS IF they felt they were asking/ demanding on behalf of MORmON Jesus and His MORmON church, and Huntsman was duty bound to give as much as SLOC wanted as Huntsman was some one who had promised in the MORmON temple to give all that they own or would ever own just as THE church requires it to build up the MORmON kingDUMB on earth.

Huntsman had millions earmarked for charity and SLOC showed up feeling fully entitled to just take what ever they wanted, and it ticked off Jon Sr. and he said so publicly. It made the papers. Then, Suddenly, with in a week, Jon had a big change of heart about the MORmON Olympics !!!! and THAT made the papers too.

Now, Ask yourself: who would it take to back down / turn around somebody like Jon Huntsman? ,and remember, Huntsman had already told Mittens Romney to get lost which caused the news story in the first place. Huntsman was quite used to going eye ball to eye ball with the POTUS Richard Nixon. Orrin Hatch had already pulled strings to keep SLOC member Dee Dee Corradini from going to prison when all the other big shots from Bonneville Pacific were headed there, because Dee Dee going to prison would be a Huge black eye for the Utah campaign to get the Olympics. Besides that IF Dee Dee went to prison it might derail Hinckley's plan to buy the section of main street that ran through temple square, well, at least it might delay it, and what a shame that would be!!! Huntsman was already going against the pro Olympic grain of the top Utah political leaders. There was only one person who could invoke a higher authority than the biggest political leaders around to make Jon Huntsman have a big change of heart about writing out some big fat checks to help fund the Utah Olympics, ( and if funding for the cancer center ran a little short then who cares, piss on cancer patients !!! it's the mighty Olympics and the Olympics comes first !!!! )

It seems pretty obvious that the REAL SAVIOR of the Utah / MORmON Olympics (NOT Mittens Romney) and the person really responsible for the Olympics coming to Utah (NOT Tom Welch) called up their home teacher and told him that he better change his attitude about the MORmON Olympics because the Olympics were just what MORmON Jesus had ordered to help promote and build up THE MORmON kingDUMB on earth. Huntsman was told be better get on board with MORmON Jesus' master plan which included the Olympics. MORmON stooge LD$ Inc sock puppet Mitt Romney got a big check from Huntsman for the MORmON Olympics, just like Romney had asked for in the first place.

If Romney thought he was going to dig into Huntsman's pocket again for Romney's next holy MORmON campaign of attempting to put a MORmON ( THE LDS Inc designate MORmON -Romney) in the Whitehouse, Then Romney was sorely mistaken. LD$ Inc was certainly behind Romney's presidential campaign, despite any LIES that LDS INC PR told to the contrary, but LDS Inc could not coerce Huntsman into doling out for Romney's pres run as Huntsman Jr. was also running for US Pres.

After the "wonderful" Olympics and the Romney MORmON moment (both of which Hurt LD$ Inc PR more than helping) and all of the counter productive LD$ Inc MORmON financial and political wrangling to try to build the MORmON KingDUMB of MORmON God on earth, Huntsman's relationship with LD$ Inc seems to be somewhat strained at this point..... for some reason.

At one time LD$ Inc and it's self proclaimed PR Genius PRofit Gordon BS Hinckley may have been able to twist Huntsman's arm enough to make Huntsman give big money to LDS Inc, er Uhhhh to the MORmON Olympics, but that MORmON moment has passed, Hinckley has passed away, and Huntsman is NOW OPENLY a lot more reserved and qualified about doling out money to MORmON causes than what LD$ Inc PR would like, as Huntsman told FOrbes Magazine the MORmON tithing and Charity are two completely different things.

It's almost like Huntsman is ticked off over LD$ Inc turning its back on the Huntsman family and the Huntsman family's interests, after Jon had chipped in BIG TIME for LD$ Inc interests........

Its like Huntsman needs a good lecture on the matter/ topic from Gordon BS Hinckley, but that is NOT going to happen because Hinckley is as dead as the MORmON hey day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewcave/2014/06/23/giving-to-your-church-doesnt-count-jon-huntsman-snr-and-twitters-biz-stone-on-new-philanthropy/

Posted by: ^ ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 06:25AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.