Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 11:04PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bencoleman2/what-its-like-to-get-drunk-for-the-first-time-as-an-adult#.pkxWdrV55

Just in case you're curious.

I was 18, getting ready to be shipped off to BYU. I still remember what I drank that night: A shot of Rootbeer schnapps, a Permafrost shot or two, a Zima (oh, the 90s), then several shots of tequila.

A lot of regret, tears, and vomit a couple of hours later.

It really can be a train of mistakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:16PM

At 16 I went to a party full attractive older "men." Someone served me some sort of drink and I announced to the crowd:

"Don't drink the juice; it's gone bad!"

I was so embarrassed.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 03:27PM

Embarrassing, but also kind of adorable.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:19PM

Had my first beer at 16...thought it was vile...had another one a week later...less vile-ness....and the rest is beer drinking history.

RB

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:28PM

I had a few sips of brandy during a high school fashion design class and a few sips of gluten free beer and a sip of a margarita. My conclusion, I have yet to meet an alcohol I didn't like.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:46PM

At the ripe old age of 15 , I can remember after about my 3rd beer , a living room chair came sliding across the floor and took my legs out from under me . Never spilled a drop .

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:53PM

By "drunk" do you mean a feeling of euphoria? A feeling of complete peace, relaxation and one with the Universe? I think the word "drunk" needs re-examined.

When was the first time you drank the juice of the God's?

Date: August 29, 2015 07:41PM

There's Buzzed, Tipsy, Drunk, Smashed, and Shitfaced.

I would say what you're describing is Buzzed or Tipsy. Drunk is kinda that middle point where a lot of things sound like fun- karaoke, dancing, strip poker, Truth or Dare...Anything past that point is when you get your removal of clothes in the middle of a dinner party or trying to break the sidewalk with your head.

The line can be very fine.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 02:45PM

Hahahahaha!!

I can't remember the last time I wore a lamp shade or meet the sidewalk with my head?

Good measure of defining the word "drunk".

I will work on it!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 12:52AM

both times, I would say, in the "shitfaced" category.

It was fun. I thought I was the most articulate person ever born. I had insights that should have rocked the universe.

That was before the hangovers kicked in. The first one was BAD. I thought the second one would be terminal. They both lasted at least a day and a half, with constant vomiting. And the headaches - NASTY!

I think this was Nature's way of teaching me to be very moderate in my alcohol consumption. A margarita with dinner is very nice, thank you, and a cup of tea (in winter) or a glass of iced tea (the rest of the year) will do just fine.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:21PM

I think I was probably three or four when I had my first drink of beer. My grandfather would let me drink some of his frequently. By the time I was 12 I was tapping the keg at the family BBQs and checking the temperature by taking frequent drinks from the keg long before any guest would arrive. I was drinking regularly throughout high school. I quit for the thirty years I was in the church except for several times when I was in the Navy. Before officially leaving I started to drink again but finally gave it up when I realized it was a problem that I could not control. It's been about thirty months since my last drink and I am enjoying my sobriety.

Posted by: Thomas S Monster ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:24PM

I was 25 and, though I didn't know it yet, would be out of the church in just a few months.

My buddy and I were both bic RM's but had a growing disaffection with the church. We decided at a large outdoor music festival to which we had VIP tickets we would partake of the free booze and have one night where we didn't worry about what the church would think.

We got hammered. My nevermo girlfriend Who I had just started seeing tells me I called her to explain how much tequila burned on the way down. Being a nevermo in her 20s, she, of course, knew all about tequila shots. She told me to drink lots of water before bed. Luckily I followed her advise and I wasn't hung over the next day. My friend, however, wasn't so lucky. He was so hungover he thought God was punishing him for drinking. Classic Mormon programming.

The best part of a very fun night was that I realized how much alcohol was not a big deal. The church made it sound like your life would be miserable and filled with shame if you drank. I had a great time and felt fine the next day!

It was that experience that made me reevaluate my life. I went home that weekend and slept with my girlfriend for what was our first time together and my first time period. I started questioning everything. A few months later, I walked out of sacrament meeting midway and never went back.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:49PM

That's what I missed... an open act of rebellion that announced to the those mormons present, "Eff mormomisn!"

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:52PM

Some think they're required to get drunk in order to be a good exmo, or prove they're no longer TBM. To me, that is still the church directing your actions.

I have never been drunk and have no interest in it, mostly because I like to be in control of myself. I keep hearing to drink responsibly - yet how do you increase your ability to be responsible when you are drunk?

And I get to hear stories from guys at work about stupid stuff they do when drunk, from DUI's and almost killing people, to peeing in their wife's underwear drawer.

Date: August 29, 2015 11:22PM

Including the time you gave into the pressure of your coworkers jeering you into tasting an alcoholic drink.

Says much more about YOU, rather than those who choose to experiment.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 10:54AM

" I keep hearing to drink responsibly - yet how do you increase your ability to be responsible when you are drunk?"

Well, it starts before you ever take a drink in the first place. You increase your ability to be responsible by drinking but not to the point of actually getting drunk. THAT's is what's meant by "drinking responsibly."

You don't seem to understand that. Drinking responsibly means to pace and limit yourself in such a ways so that you can enjoy a beverage without becoming intoxicated to the point of impairment or poisoning yourself. You seem to think it's all or nothing. Either you don't drink at all, and that means you can be self-righteous and judgmental toward people who DO drink, or you're a worthless gutter drunk. Drinking responsibly refers to having a drink -- maybe two, tops -- and then stopping. Getting drunk generally requires more drinks than one or two. Being responsible while drinking also means that your responsibilities are handled ahead of time. For example, you have a designated sober driver, or the number of a cab company, you have a babysitter lined up who can provide his or her own transportation home at the end of the evening.

Moderation in all things. Ever heard of that?

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:17PM

My first drink was a wine cooler when I was 27. I was with a friend that I'd met at an LDS sorority. I didn't feel much. My future husband introduced me to beer and was disappointed I didn't like it. He had high quality stuff but that didn't help with the taste. I like sweet mixed drinks for the most part but I don't drink very often. I barely drink at all anymore. I take too many meds.

Date: August 30, 2015 01:04AM

As opposed to tipsy.

I don't remember how I got that way. However, I do remember that we assembled a marching band (also a complete blank) and I played a tuba for the first and only time.

We paraded around our college town asking for requests. No matter what the request was, we played the same song -"My Name is General Chaos, I'm the Leader of this Band."

Exhausted by our performances, we retired with our instruments to a local park. The police flashlights found us, "Was that you making all that noise?" We confessed and they told us to stop.

I'm not one of those sit-around kind of drunks.

Date: August 30, 2015 08:09PM

That is freaking hilarious. What a fun time!

Date: August 30, 2015 01:27AM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 03:18PM

I was in 8th grade. My friends parents were out of town so we skipped school and hung out at her house. We watched TV and drank OJ spiked with vodka. We got a little tipsy, but not falling down drunk. It was really quite nice.

Date: August 30, 2015 08:02PM

I get the desire to be in control. It's also great when you are with good friends and can get out of control. I got quite a laugh recalling that night (finally) and called up one of the participants today to remind him. He can't remember where those instruments came from either.

My dear friend, who I drove around for years, is now not drinking but unable to drive. That is so ironic.

My last "drunk" was at 20. For my 21st birthday I rented a hotel room by myself in order to escape all plans for the night. His last "drunk" was at 55.

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 09:28PM

Whatever your state of inebriation, remember ethanol will leave you dehydrated, so try to drink a big glass of water & take some ibuprofen or Tylenol before you go to sleep. Or pass out.

Date: August 30, 2015 10:53PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 12:20PM

I think 14 or so. Some apple cider in the fridge had gone hard. It made my ears buzz. Haven't gotten that buzzing sound as an adult.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 01:18PM

I'd gone with my friend to Vegas (I was in my mid-30s) and we were meeting her boyfriend and another guy who were going to take us to a comedy show and THEN dinner. So I was at this show, having eaten nothing all day so I'd fit into the skinny little dress I wanted to wear.

I'd only ever had a few sips of wine to drink and knew nothing about different cocktails. So I saw the specials and one said Long Island Iced Tea. I thought, "Oh, I like iced tea, I'll try that (thinking it was tea with a little something in it)."

It was delicious to the taste and very desirable. It was in one of those tall Vegas glasses and I started guzzling it since it went down real easy, being so good and all. When the brick wall hit me in the face and the room started spinning, all I could think about was getting to the Ladie's room without embarrassing myself (which didn't work). Later after I got cleaned up and the spinning slowed down and I made my way back to the table I asked, "What was in that iced tea?" They all laughed and said, "Well, first of all... no tea!"

In fact, that's the drunkest I ever got in my life. I love a little buzz, but try hard to avoid downright drunk. That's not much fun at all.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 04:22AM

LOL! I had my first drink 3 years ago at the tender age of 39. I was a good little Mormon boy and I never touched the stuff in high school or college or the military.

The first time that I got completely shitfaced was a couple of months after that first drink. I did that in a hotel room with my wife in Vancouver, BC. I wanted to see how much I could handle. Now that I have been there and done that, I haven't come anywhere close since then. I love the feeling of being buzzed, mellow, and relaxed. I do not enjoy being drunk.

Later this week I am going down to Portland to reconnect with my old MTC companion. We are both out at this point. Loud laughter and heavy drinking is likely to occur.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 04:27AM by Strength in the Loins.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.