Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 11:09PM

"Delmaro, 26, was charged with taking $713,975 from a marketing professional from Brooklyn after promising to reunite him with a woman he loved, even after the man discovered that the woman had died."

=========================================

doesn't mormonism claim you will be with your loved ones after you die ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:48AM

Ka-Ching!

I pass by a temple all the time that has a sign out front with a photo of an hispanic family and the words, "Will I be with my loved ones when I die?"

The implication is clear--only if you're Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 10:44AM by blueorchid.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:08PM

That's low even for TSCC!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:11PM

Also in targeting Hispanics. They tend to not be as educated or as middle-class as their Anglo-Saxon counterparts.

And are more susceptible to superstition, make really good Mormons, and pay a full tithe religiously following conversion.

Posted by: El Chueco ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 02:40AM

A lot of the fortunetellers are Rom aka Gypsy. I have spent a lot of time with Gypsies. Fortunetller is just an accpeted profession in their community--they know they don't have any supernatural powers they just become very good at cold reading people and manipulating people's emotions and needs.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:00AM

Are you trying to say that Joseph Smith couldn't actually see hidden treasures like the Gold Plates in his seer stone?

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:33AM

Such an enlightening article!!! This is Joe Smith to a T!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:58AM

Great article! A gullible friend of mine was scammed by a gypsy fortune teller to give her a valuable diamond engagement ring from a former marriage to "cleanse it of evil curses". Of course she never got it back. They should all be thrown in jail for preying on the desperate and gullible.

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:39AM

This is the NY Times version of the article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/nyregion/the-secret-to-the-psychic-trade-its-in-the-parole-board-transcripts.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

As I've posted before the Mormon church is actually worse because, in addition to the fake promises of material wealth, if you don't pay tithing you can't go to the temple or heaven!

Here some gems from an old First Presidency message from 1980:

"Tithing is not a free-will offering; it is a debt. . . . ", and "The Lord, to whom one owes tithing, is in a position of a preferred creditor. If there is not enough to pay all creditors, he should be paid first. You may be a little shocked by this statement, but it is true. Other creditors, however, need not worry, for the Lord always blesses the person who has faith enough to pay tithing so his or her ability to pay other creditors is not thereby reduced."

And of course the first presidency message emphasizes that if you don't pay you're going to burn! But tithing as "fire insurance" is pretty standard for tithing lessons.

If you want an interesting/"shocking" read I recommend reading the whole message!

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1980/06/concerning-tithing?lang=eng

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:19PM

What a creep old Marion Romney was. I remember my dad telling me how the early 80's had huge interest rates. My dad also had two jobs, we had one car, we had little to eat and wear but damnit we paid a full tithe. Yup these guys are as bad as the psychics.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:31AM

Wow that's some scary and creepy stuff!

Date: August 29, 2015 04:21PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215111/British-tourists-returning-Calais-blocked-French-motorway-fires-started-chainsaw-wielding-Roma-Gypsies.html

Chainsaw wielding gypsies block roads in France by lighting piles of tires and wood on fire in the street.

Such wonderful people.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 04:24PM

Put a few GAs in prison for a while and see how long it takes them to admit Mormonism is a scam.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:59PM

From the above link:

"(Ms. Vlado) convinced one woman to pay her $14,500 for a rock she said came from a meteorite that she had obtained from an NASA insider.”

If Vlado had told the customer she found it while digging a well, the latter would likely have been able to start a religion.

Posted by: MP-40/II ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:29PM

It is amasing that in 2015 there are still people retarded enough to waste their assets on "fortunetellers".

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:36AM

Our county fair had a fortunetellar booth for the first time this year. I didn't see anybody gullible enough going into or out of it... Just having it at the fair shows that there are gullible people here...I didn't make it to the carnival and the carnies.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 12:18AM

So, if these "psychics" were able to scam people by telling them a lot of BS they wanted to hear, why couldn't they also be scamming the parole board? Hmmmmmm...

Date: August 30, 2015 02:07AM

This is why such "crafty sciences" as crystal ball gazing were illegal in Joseph Smith's New York community. Joseph Smith was charged with being a disorderly person for claiming that he could find hidden treasures or lost items by looking into his seer stone in 1826.

The more plausible explanation is that Joseph Smith would steel people's property then hide it. Joseph would then approach the person and claim he can find it again for a fee. This is really a form of extortion and theft.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 05:15AM

John Edward should be among those who will eventually be facing a parole board, begging for his freedom. He mixes religion and made-up 'readings' to dupe people out of their money.

I see on his website that he'll be in Boise tonight, and in SLC on Sept. 3, putting on shows for those who 'just believe' in his nonsense.

He should be arrested at one of his appearances for consumer fraud...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.