Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 09:02PM

This is a woman who clucked her tongue at any innuendo no matter how mild (we had to turn the channel while Lois and Superman where in bed sleeping in Superman II), forbade SNL (Thanks, GCGC skit!) and Family Ties from the tube, and whom I've only heard swear twice in my entire life (hell and damn, not even the good ones.) If any of us missed church, Mutual, or seminary for lame excuses (like being in pain) we'd get a punishment of some kind.

This is the same woman who told me to cover my tattoos, take out my piercings, and get dressed somewhere else on club nights, lol.

So my sister has been having some financial troubles and my mother is elderly and it's starting to show- She broke one of her wrists again stepping off a curb and earlier this year cracked her sternum, so Sis, let's call her Hobbes, moved back in with her.

Hobbes texted me a few weeks ago and wants BF and I to come up for T-day. I asked her if she knew of any motels around that AREN'T meth dens and she replied we could stay at the house. Skeptical, I called my mother back and she confirmed that BF and I can stay at the house and either sleep on the trundle upstairs or bring our air-mattress.

Colour me shocked! There's hope that your TBM relatives will come 'round, peeps. If my mom did it, yours might, too.+6

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 09:08PM

I'm proud of your Mom, Itz...this is a HUGE step forward for her.

Wonderful for you...and wonderful for everyone closest to you.

:) :) :)

Date: August 28, 2015 09:12PM

I just noticed Henry Rollins (my cat) added in his own +6 cents. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 09:13PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:04AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:56PM

That is great news.

When you mentioned meth hotels, made me wonder too if your mom doesn't want you staying at one of those during your visit? She'd much rather have you safe by her side, with boyfriend, than in one of those dens of ill repute.

A mother's love knows no bounds. She sounds like an awesome woman.

Date: August 29, 2015 05:37PM

The older I get, the more I realize how much she was a product of a horribly abusive childhood. That doesn't excuse her own abuse of my siblings and I, but at least there's an explanation for her failings as a mother. She wasn't even adopted till she was a teenager and spent most of her childhood shuffled from family members to foster homes and the damage was done. As the product of a rape, she was unwanted and an undesirable child, and suffered because of it. Unfortunately, because she never received the psychological help she needed and married someone as damaged as she, her children have all suffered abuse, mental and emotional problems, and relationship problems.

When 4 out of your 6 children have ended up in a mental institution or incarceration and your three daughters all attempted suicide more than once, you should know you fucked up as a parent.

But, I think she finally understands that the way to keep your children close to you is not to treat them like scum because they chose a different path. It took a long time for her to accept that, especially having a lesbian daughter and a hellraiser daughter (the other one doesn't have contact with her.)

IDT she knows too much about how prevalent meth is in the area and only knows about it from me and the news that pops up occasionally, but several of the motels in Manitou are tweeker dens and are just awful. I shudder involuntarily driving past some of them because of experiences in those places.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.