Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:01PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:06PM

Prooftexting (sometimes "proof-texting" or "proof texting") is the practice of using isolated, out-of-context quotations from a document to establish a proposition.

Sorry, I had to look it up.

So I'd say John 10:16
Christ said, "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd "

Mormons say the "other sheep" are the BoM people, whereas other Christians I believe say it refers to the Gentiles of Jesus's time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 06:12PM by seekyr.

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:46AM

seekyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whereas other Christians I believe say it refers
> to the Gentiles of Jesus's time.

"other Christian" here to say, yup, that's what I was taught.

Plenty of Mormon proof texts are utterly weird to me, as they rely on totally unconventional interpretations which are not compatible with the text as a whole.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:44PM

"Nearly one-third of Native American genes come from west Eurasian people linked to the Middle East and Europe, rather than entirely from East Asians as previously thought, according to a newly sequenced genome."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/11/131120-science-native-american-people-migration-siberia-genetics/

Of course, they conveniently gloss over the relevant fact that this was determined using a 24,000 year old bone--dated 21,000 years before Lehi supposedly left Jerusalem and allegedly years before the first human allegedly died.

Posted by: Shiz head ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:46PM

1 Corinthians 15:29 "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Mormon translation: Lets do countless hours of temple work that doesn't need to be done so save the world

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:32AM

I bet Paul would be blown away to see the modern-day result of that one little line in that sermon of his.

I found this article about it.
https://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/ted_hildebrandt/ntesources/ntarticles/bsac-nt/reaume-baptdead1cor-bs.pdf

And it's just one of those examples where you see just HOW complicated translating can become and that there's not a one-to-one correlation of Greek to English words. So often there are many directions you can take just with a single word.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 02:37PM

Ezekiel 37:15-17 (A scripture Mastery passage!)
15 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Mormons claim this means the Bible and the Book of Mormon will be made into 1 book. Mormons take these verses completely out of context because the parable is explained later in the same chapter.
------------------------------------------------
Ezekiel 37:18-22
18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
NOTE: Then it goes on to explain that in verses 19-22 that it means the divided kingdoms of the Jews will be united into 1 again. Read 1 Kings 12 for how they were divided.
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.
20 And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.
21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:
22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all.

Mormons can't be bothered reading the entire chapter that the verse appears in...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:20PM

"5 And it came to pass that the Lord did warn me, that I, Nephi, should depart from them and flee into the wilderness, and *all those* who would go with me.

6 Wherefore, it came to pass that I, Nephi, did take my family, and also Zoram and his family, and Sam, mine elder brother and his family, and Jacob and Joseph, my younger brethren, and also my sisters, and *all those* who would go with me."

That two word phrase, mentioned twice in the BoM; "all those".....proof positive bulls-eye that there were indeed millions of Mesoamericans there when the Jaredite/Lehite/Nephite/Lamanites* arrived!

*Wouldn't it have been hilarious if, instead of Laman, JS had put in the name "Samson"?

(3,2,1...oh...I get it)

Posted by: bender ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:42PM

In afraid to say it took a little bit, but I eventually got the joke. It made me immediately think of Dumb & Dumber

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.