Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bagheera ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 05:54PM

I believe it was on this forum that someone mentioned Steve Hassan's book, Combatting Cult Mind Control.

Whoever it was, thank you, THANK YOU. This book has been a game-changer for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:16PM

Be sure to get the recently REVISED edition. The first edition of about 25 years ago is quite out of date. The revision came out just this year.

For an interview between Steve and Ex-Mormon Joshua Durham, made just last July, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4LgD-SmlI

Steve was a featured speaker at the Exmormon conference in Salt Lake a few years ago. His talk is available on the Foundation website www. exmormonfoundation.org

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:38PM

My wife and I attended the Exmormon conference for the first time in 2008 when Steve spoke. That was an eye-opener. I had turned in my resignation letter a month before. My wife was almost there, but she was still serving in the RS presidency. Our heads were spinning. We jokenly referred to the LDS church as "cult light" (like light beer), or a "Care Bear" cult, meaning it had some features of a cult but was harmless. We both were convinced it was a full-on cult after hearing his talk. He wasn't out to bash the church, but rather just explaining the features of a cult. There were very few points on his checklist the church didn't exibit.

Posted by: Bagheera ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:17PM

Thanks.

Remember, Bagheera is a Nevermo...but the Hassan book cuts across 'denomination' lines and is one of the most valuable assets for understanding cult-like pressures from any group.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 09:04PM

+10000000

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.