Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:10PM

I have been getting more involved with SLC food banks in recent years. I have been pleasantly surprised that most rely on the LDS church for their meat and other sundry products like hot cocoa. Since TSCC does not have a soup kitchen in SLC--I am glad to know that they do at least support those who do. Of course, they could single-handedly help stamp out hunger--but since that is not part of their real estate investment strategy, glad they throw a few pounds of ground beef to those in need.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:23PM

The local United Christian Church hands out three bags of groceries once a month to 90-140 people, and they have done this for 30 years. The church across the street has a community supper twice a month. This is more than I ever saw my local LD$ church provide to the poor and hungry. Yea. The religious right of corporate America and their .0001% tithe to actual charitable works. Bet LD$ spends more on their Meet the Mormons PR than they do on charitable deeds.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:35PM

TSCC does the minimum in terms of helping the poor and hungry. In fact, I think they do just enough to satisfy their PR needs.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 05:16PM

To quote the wonderful CES Letter:

"Something is fundamentally wrong with 'the one true Church' spending more on an estimated $1.5 billion dollar high-end megamall than it has in 26 years of humanitarian aid."

Yeah, so they contribute. They have to, if they want to maintain their disguise as a religion! But look at the bigger picture -- as Exmoron said, I think they do the minimum just for show. To keep up their image as "charitable" people.

Date: August 28, 2015 06:59PM

I whole-heartedly agree with all of these comments--however, those preparing the food here are still grateful they have a place to turn, so it has taught me not to be too critical in public--no one here wants to bite the hand feeding it. Meat is one of the more precious items in soup kitchens.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:10PM

I have been wanting to get involved with volunteering with these kind of things, do you know how I can find more information please?

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:15PM

Many years ago several of me and fiends would meet at the underpasses Sunday mornings. We cooked potatoes, hot cakes, eggs what ever we could get our hands on. Cooked on our Coleman camp stoves. Each week the group got bigger, more food, also clothing was handed out. Was great. One morning the police and health department sowed up. We didn't have all the permits and shut us down. what a shame. Never went back.

Date: August 28, 2015 08:14PM

The Good Samaritan House is a good place to start--they can always use volunteers to help make sandwiches. Their motto is " a sack lunch for anyone who asks-no questions" open seven days a week/365 days a year. St. Vincent's serves a lot more people but uses more groups to serve food. There is a burrito program too where you make burritos at a local factory and pass them out on bikes. These are all SLC based--Boy's and Girls clubs and YWCA always need help and are in most cities. The Utah Food Bank is an amazingly organized place who can steer you where there is a perfect fit! Hunger knows no religion, the mormons, catholics and atheists work side by side in perfect harmony!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.