Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 02:16PM

Yikes, the Toronto missionaries are outdoing themselves here!

Along with offering free English lessons(??),because no one in Toronto speaks English and if they needed help they'd be sure to seek out cult missionaries ...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByUvmwKay_m0QWkwakpUUENnUFU&usp=sharing

'A goal of 2015 “second mile” acts of service was set. Some of the service provided to date includes helping a nearby church of another faith feed the homeless, making blankets and scarves for the homeless, tutoring needy students, providing free gymnastics and skating lessons, donating furniture to a new immigrant family, chauffeuring sisters unable to drive, helping a neighbor with terminal cancer, and volunteering at an investigator’s vendor fair booth'.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/relief-society-in-toronto-canada-exemplifies-christlike-love?lang=eng

'Free gymnastics and skating lessons' anyone?Lol!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:02PM

Until Mormon's stop pushing missionary work in the form of conversion to their religion, any deeds the do are suspect. In fact their version of "missionary work" gives missionary work a bad name.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:53PM

called to serve (?) called to serve LD$ Inc !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNLVK-DWSw

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:04PM

Cha-ching $$$ lawsuits against LDS Inc. when your child is injured in gymnastics or ice skating. Sign all the kids up for both sports!

Posted by: Black Grape ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:12PM

I remember doing acts of service on my mission and most of them were just time wasters. Like the people we helped really didn't need the help and there was no formal structure to any service so it wasnt like a Catholic church serving daily meals to the homeless it was just random things. I don't even think JW's offer service as one of their tactics.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:33PM

I knew they did that here, but I just thought that all missionaries did that.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 05:21PM

I went to Toronto. Didn't do much "service", but I recall one gig we had reading books to kids. I preferred that to the missionary work, but my companion hated it so we quit.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:32PM

He was housed in an unheated basement with moisture running down the walls. He came home with only a fraction of his previous lung function.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:46PM

Indeed, most of my apartments were tiny basements with low ceilings. Felt like living in a cave. We were also responsible for finding our own furnishings when we opened a new apartment. I know one guy who pulled a very used mattress off the street so that he would have something to sleep on. Even at that we were 100x better off than some of the folks who went to south America, at least from the stories I've heard. But the burning question that I have, and am desperate for an answer to, is: Are the 2-4-1 pizza stands still around?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 12:21PM

anon for this one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was housed in an unheated basement with
> moisture running down the walls. He came home
> with only a fraction of his previous lung
> function.

I hope you check out the class action lawsuit against LDS, Inc. that's advertising on the front page of exmormon.org. Here is the link to their website:
http://utahinjury.com/missionaryinjurylawyers/

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:44PM

Wow. Where in Toronto was that?

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 04:34AM

In Queens, NY, the missionaries teach English in Chinese wards and have had some baptisms as a result. It's very popular service effort there now.

When I served my mission in CA, our four hours each week in one area were spent going to nursing homes. Twenty three years later I still recall some of the precious people there. One woman was 100 years old and was a real hill billy from Tennessee. She had tremendous stories to tell. There were many people though that were abandoned by their family and were severely neglected by the nursing home stsff. The only food and drink they got was when we showed up to feed them. It was beyond heart breaking.

On a personal note in 2013, if I didn't move in to take care of my mother when she was in the nursing home for over two months, she would have gotten sicker and died for sure. She's been home with me niw for 18 months. It feels good to know you can make a difference in someone's life.

For those ex mormons who have not served a mission and are looking for a purpose in life, the local nursing home is one place you can spread some joy for a season or more.

Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:51AM

Greyfort,
It appears to be in Etobicoke,Toronto.

Unbelievable,
It is a wonderful idea to help out others like that.Good on you!My only problem with the missionaries service is the associated deception,they advertise free English lessons,they want converts to Mormonism.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:27AM

Of course, they got the idea for missionaries do more service FROM THIS WEBSITE! Nice going everyone.

It's clear they are not likely to be able to gain converts through traditional tracting.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:24PM

My brother served in TO Chinese speaking around 2005.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.