Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: -\|/- ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:45PM

Only 1 English cathedral choir: Wells. I am surprised by that. No other obvious ommissions. Unless you mean't the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Not surprised by its omission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:53PM

The Gramophone roots a little too hard for UK musical organizations. Many major European Opera houses have fantastic choirs. A little closer to home, the MET chorus and the Chicago Symphony Choir stand out.

Where MOTABs misses is: first, its large size. Second the poor training of its singers. And lastly, the missing traditions of performing great choral works in their original languages.

MOTABs was marketed by CBS as America's choir and its musicality is always second to its main raisin d'ĂȘtre--missionary work for the Morg. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 07:54PM by byuboner.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 09:51PM

One of my favorite set of records was the Philadelphia Symphony orchestra & the MoTab doing Handel's Messiah. It was four LPs that you'd stack on the automatic turntable, listen to those four sides, then turn the stack over and listen to the other four sides. I listened to the records for years, and assumed that it had to be the finest version EVER done of the piece.

But then along came YouTube. I've found three versions, all by British and European ensembles and choirs, including a boys choir, that blow the old CBS version completely out of the water.

Shocking!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 10:55AM

Youtube is a great source for music. Here's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwhkBAeheM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.