Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 06:22PM

I think anyone who is interested in meeting other exmos will be well pleased.

I first attended in about 1999 in Las Vegas. Up to that time I hadn't met other exmormons although I had left the morg in 1967.

After I retired I had the time and inclination to study the issues and work through my recovery. Until then, I never mentioned it to anyone except my husband. That's because I had left a polygamous cult and did not want that information to damage my career as a public school teacher.

After I retired I was shocked to find that the Mormon church was more cultish and hurtful to individuals and families than I had realized. My family was not unique in being forced into turmoil and dis-function. I realized that there were other exmormons out and about who had concluded what I knew as the truth. I was desperate to see them. The conference offered that opportunity and I was grateful.

That's why DH and I host several exmo parties each year and encourage anyone who is interested to attend the exmo conferences.

Drinking? Yes, many exmormon participants do socially drink at the conferences. This was more prevalent at the Las Vegas one than at any since that time. Now that they are held in SLC and the drinking appears a little lighter to me. Still, the social drinking at my first one was not excessive. No one I saw was falling down, sick, or acting abusive in any way.

The numbers are large but not as vast as the mainstream conference where secret partying and wild antics could be more covert. I think if there had been a large percentage of wild excessive drinking I would have noticed or heard about it.

I like to sip a glass of wine with dinner or at cocktail parties, but I don't always do it if I have reason not to. It doesn't bother me a bit to be around party goers who drink when I am not. For example, I'm allergic to shellfish and don't mind if people eat it in front of me. I just say no thank you and eat whatever is available that won't make me ill.

I don't know why anyone would want to scare people off from attending by citing booze, but I think any reasonable person could easily avoid it with very little effort. One person in the other thread was with a relative who over imbibed so I'd suggest finding different friends and not attending with a heavy drinker.

Those who are shy or who feel uncomfortable in new situations need not fear. Almost everyone there shares those feelings and would appreciate a smile, a hello, and a question or two about why and when they left the Mormon church. We all have stories. We help others when we share them and when we listen to their experiences and how they are managing to recover.

I say, be brave and give it a try if you're interested. If not, that's fine too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 02:49AM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 06:42PM

One of the coolest things for me Cheryl was getting to greet a face to go with names you've gotten to know online.

04 was a great intro for me.....as soon as I was getting out of my ride someone shouted hey Shummy .....it was Wag, the only one there that already knew me irl.

It was a pleasure to meet you and your astute aspoustate I must say.

Thanks for posting this. I can't say enough positive about the Exmo Foundation and folks here need to know so that they can lay their plans with good info.

Of all the drunks I ran into there, they was all spring break amateurs, trust me. I couldda put em all to bed and came back in time to drink the bar closed.

And Cabbie will vouch for that factoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 06:43PM by Shummy.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:12PM

You met WAg?

Who else did you meet?

Date: August 27, 2015 10:52PM

saucie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You met WAg?
>
> Who else did you meet?

As I said I had already met Lou Wag at a luncheon with the Bensons here in AZ.

Let's see, in SLC I met Cabbie, Packam, Tal, Simon S, Bob McCue, and Chad Spjut, to drop an exmo rock-star name or two plus dozens of other posters from RfM.

A true religious experience I tellya. Better than shaking hands with the whole Q15 and the Pope thrown in ta boot.

You oughtta try it, worth the effort fershure.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 11:19PM

Sounds like fun Shum.....

Date: August 28, 2015 12:33AM

saucie Wrote:
> Sounds like fun Shum.....

Oh yeah and ya know what, I forgot to mention Cricket whom I'd met online before I even met RfM.

I brought him some stuff that he raffled off between conference sessions at my first one in 04.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 03:14PM

I see Shummy has had a senior moment there and neglected to mention Wings and et in Utah, two from the old neighborhood...

Others who've made it in the past include CZ, Chad Hardy (he of "calendar fame"), Jesus-the-Smith, Brian-the-Christ, Simon Southerton (says he's going to try to make it next year), Richard Packham of course, MishMagnet, Jim H. and his lovely wife, Lucyfer... And I better not forget Tiptoes...

There will be Cabbie sightings at this year's as usual, but I'm mostly working, and as always, I'll be ducking the Danites.

Apologies to anyone I overlooked. I did promise Simon if he comes next year, I'll put together another below-the-radar lunch like I did last year. Not sure I can top that one; it included Sandra Tanner, Will Bagley, Dave T., Josh-the-physicists, darkfem, myself, and several other top tier Outer Darkness Candidates...

And as Shummy notes, there are those who seek to raise their status above "novice" in the alcohol consumption department, but in our day, either of us could probably outdrink the whole lot of 'em and be up and ready for Bloody Mary's the next morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 03:18PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 06:58PM

Only one I went to because Vegas was close. Packed up Hubby and our Border Collie and drove from So Cal. Stayed at Marriott because they allowed dogs. Arranged to have a teenager babysit her for us :) I had already been working for Eric for a while but it was the first time I met him and his wife, and CZ (Quiet but Scary Smart Admin, you SO don't want to get on his bad side) and Cheryl and Jerry! Oh and Benson. He was wandering around too. Lots going on setting up the first foundation, what a nightmare THAT turned into! Lots of drinking but no one got out of line. Only time I felt uncomfortable was when they put Orgazmo on. LOL, love it but I shy :) If you are not sure it is for you but you can afford to go or if you can only go for one part, the testamonkey portion is THE best and will give you a lot to talk to others about.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:00PM

Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 09:29PM

I'm going this year for the first time. Looking forward to meeting people i know from on line.
Going to spend an extra few days in Utah also.
Flying in from Texas.

Date: August 27, 2015 10:01PM

Can't participate this time or I'd look you up.

Airfare tickets are expensive. You are motivated. Those who live in Utah have it easy financially. Anyone who has a job can probably afford it if they don't have to pay for airfare and hotel. Still, they might have to worry about what their family thinks.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:22PM

I would go based on this thread....but as Cheryl has mentioned, airfare is expensive.

For me to fly RT from Burbank it would be almost $350.00 for a 4 1/2 hour flight with a change of planes in Oakland.

I think it is great to go and meet all you guys. If I lived closer to Utah I would go.

Has anyone thought of having a spring ExMo Conference in Calif?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:38PM

You can get direct flights from LAX to SLC, and they're cheaper.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 11:31PM

What moved me the most was people's eagerness, no....need to talk about their experience with Mormonism and how they got out. At times it's overwhelming, but you feel like you're part of something. You feel understood, validated.

It's worth going at least once. It's a nice hotel, friendly staff, adequate food, beverages, good exmos and the speakers are top quality.

And it's Utah - a beautiful place to visit!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 12:45AM by wine country girl.

Date: August 28, 2015 12:22AM

Only downside for me was it was over too soon.

Like a weekend in Disneyland, I wished it could go on.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 12:35AM

If you can't make the conference in Utah, meetup with your local group. If there isn't a local group where you live. Start one! You may be surprised how many people you can find who would like to meet up for some in person support.

Map of groups: http://www.mormonspectrum.org/map/

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:11AM

If anyone needs a *free* place to stay, I've got 4 comfy couches & air mattresses. Includes ranch fresh egg breakfast.
available to RFM'ers on this board. 30 min to SLC by car or trolley.
Contact Admin Susan for my email.
Please, legit inquiries only.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 07:27AM

Good thread Cheryl.

Thanks for sharing. Gives me more valuable insight for when I'm able to attend.

A roundtrip ticket for me runs around $600. Plus I kennel my dog when I travel, another expense. I would love to go if only to see it for myself.

This year I've had el numero doctor visits all the result of a regular physical checkup. LOL, is that why I put these things off like I do? And 'may' be needing a surgery this fall, but is on hold until after another doctor clears me for that.

Oh, the vagaries of living! :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 06:08PM

I'm very allergic to Utah, especially SLC and Provo.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 06:48PM

There are some really good allergy pills.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 11:23PM

I just looked up the dates and realized I'll be in Utah during that time! I'll be taking care of my dad's farm though so I have to head to Utah county to feed cattle in morning and afternoon. Not sure how easy it will be to show up to the whole thing... plus I'd have to make something up so my parents don't suspect.

In all honesty, I'd just want to get drunk and rage with everyone. Do I have to pay full price even if I'd show up for only half of it? Can't I just sneak my way into the bar in the evening?

I am considering moving back to Utah to be closer to my parents so maybe it would be nice to network and hopefully find more local exmormons to help me along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 11:25PM by theviking.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 30, 2015 02:18PM

theviking Wrote:
> In all honesty, I'd just want to get drunk and rage with everyone.

PLEASE don't go to the conference for that reason. That is NOT what the purpose of the conference is, and that is NOT what the conference is like.

>Do I have to pay full price even if I'd show up for only half of it?

Check the official conference site for attending only parts: www.exmormonfoundation.org

> Can't I just sneak my way into the bar in the evening?

Guests are welcome at the social hour after the evening events, but you will be asked to contribute something to the costs.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 09:11AM

Yeah... then I think I'll just show up to the Saturday night social and meet some exmos. I'd like to rage and get to know exmos but chances are, lots of them will be coming from outside Utah valley so finding the right connections might be difficult.

What are the age demographics at these? Any single people in their 20's and 30's who are there to meet more exmo friends and build up their network?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 08:53AM

I would like to second Cheryl's comments. If you can attend at least one, you will find it to be a worthwhile experience. Most likely, you will find a new friend or two. There is something about meeting a person and later reading his or her posts that seems to add more dimension to the content.

I am planning on retiring in October. It is a bit frightening, to me, to begin living on savings. Perhaps once the fear is gone, we may attend a future one. Tennessee is a long ways from SLC.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 09:16PM

It might be interesting to attend, although I'm not one for large gatherings. Maybe some year when I can afford to go and our dollar isn't getting the shit kicked out of it by the US greenback.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 10:32PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 09:29AM

I hope that people know that the exchange between Wine Country Girl and me was an extension of friendly jabs we make at each other via RfM and FB. I notice that it was deleted from this thread. No one would defend her IRL more than I.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 31, 2015 10:21AM

Seriously considering coming this year. I went to one kolobian general conference (near the end) and would like to attend for the symmetry if nothing else!

Date: August 31, 2015 07:23PM

I'm allergic to Mormonism.

Show me the pill for that.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 02:57AM

I've always wondered about that.

Date: September 01, 2015 08:38AM

Posted by: Gaffer ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 03:00AM

The Gaffer may....or may not....appear...

peace out...gaf

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 03:13AM

I wish I could come...

Maybe one day when I retire... one day.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 12:33PM

When I retire I want to go to Avignon.

Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 06:17PM

I'm going this year, flying in from Texas. Will be my first time, looking forward to this.
There are others in Texas who would like to go but because of expense can't go. So anyone who might be car pooling from this area and would be willing to car share. Let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.