Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 04:30PM

In talking with someone who recently left Mormonism I realized Mormonism makes lying into a virtue and taking the moral high ground.

This person tried to do everything including confessing all their so-called sins. This really led them into many conversations with "Priesthood Authorities" where these "authorities" proffered useless suggestions and talk of doing things to build testimony to compensate for Mormon moral failings.

Then it hit me. Lying for The Lord is so much more prevalent than I previously had thought. For some Mormons it is a way of life and given that LDS Inc. is "rock"in' their essays going forward into the future, testifying to lies is going to be what is to be.

Now it will be easier to produce the product of Mormonism - a moral liar and a pious fraud.

So how do you see Mormonism making moral liars?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 28, 2015 09:53AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So how do you see Mormonism making moral liars?

Maybe I am wrong.

Lying about polygamy, history, doctrine, yes.

http://www.exmormon.org/lying.htm

http://www.mormonthink.com/lying.htm

"This particular claim is particularly ridiculous, since it supposes that President Hinckley would believe that he could deceive a national newsmagazine, interviewing him on the record!"
http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_church_integrity/%22Lying_for_the_Lord%22

"The exact question asked was:

Q: Just another related question that comes up is the statements in the King Follet discourse by the Prophet.

A: Yeah.

Q: ...about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?

President Hinckley's complete response was:

A: I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it. I haven't heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don't know. I don't know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don't know a lot about it and I don't know that others know a lot about it."
http://en.fairmormon.org/Downplaying_the_King_Follett_Discourse

Maybe Mormons are taught to be less liars and more taught to:

don't emphasize it.
don't teach it much in church and public discourse
don't know much about doctrine but try to understand the philosophical underpinnings
no one in the Church has much information clarified on anything either

Maybe Mormons make plausible deniable ways virtuous and build their roads into their moral high ground with ignorance and irresponsibility towards truth seeking.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:22AM

Wicked does a good job of explaining institutional lying.

ELPHABA
(spoken)
So you lied to them.

WIZARD
(spoken)
Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of
things that aren't true. We call it - "history."

(sung)
A man's called a traitor - or liberator
A rich man's a thief - or philanthropist
Is one a crusader - or ruthless invader?
It's all in which label
Is able to persist
There are precious few at ease
With moral ambiguities
So we act as though they don't exist

Date: August 31, 2015 12:30PM

shortbobgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WIZARD
> (spoken)
> Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of
> things that aren't true. We call it - "history."

The interesting thing about Mormonism is the history is there. If it isn't true then maybe Joe did use silver bowed holy glasses with The Golden Plates laid out in front of him.

Institutional lying is one thing. Making people believe delusion is more real than reality like Holland testified to the CES people is taking institutional lying to the next level. It is making a virtue from a vice in individuals. It is making lying what a righteous person does to combat The Devil of cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:28PM

If they have no testimony, they are fold to bear one anyway because to bear it often enough helps you believe.

This is not just lying, it's cult conditioning and mind control.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 10:45PM

LDS are taught to resolve mistakes with their P.hood leader, but not with those who they've lied to or otherwise taken advantage of, stolen from, etc. Both Bible & D&C say restitution must be 4 X.
ask me if any Qs on this one...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.