Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:02PM

They never taught this in my Sunday school.

http://www.reliefmine.com/

I guess ol' Joe Smith wasn't the only one cool enough for Moroni to visit? And not only that, he showed the guy a mine with the metal already harvested and smelted into coins worth millions! Never heard of this guy or his mine before, so I'm not sure if this urban legend has ever been supported by the Official Corporation.

I just got back from Utah where there are rumors about groups hunkering down hard on the doomsday prep (or at least paranoia and conspiracy theories). I haven't found anything about these "groups" yet, other than one crazy-talking lady who was ranting about how her SP had a vision of an earthquake that would make the mountains crumble and smash SLC in the dead of night. And then the guy packed up and skipped town, leaving his family behind.

Amazing that all these no-name, small-authority figures are receiving visions and revelations to save the people, but not a single GA has anything to show for it. Some are named and honored akin to prophets in fringe groups, others you only hear about from a friend of a friend who forgot the name. You'd start think it was all made up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:18PM

"...SP had a vision of an earthquake that would make the mountains crumble and smash SLC in the dead of night. And then the guy packed up and skipped town, leaving his family behind."

Wow! That doesn't sound like any ordinary earthquake. That's a BoM-style-Jesus-is-pissed-and-wants-to-bury-every-man-woman-and-child earthquake!

Posted by: asleep ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 11:35PM

Here's the latest diatribe from my sister-in-law for your edification (or something). Apologize that it is so long, but...

Subject: Warning

I believe that the United States is at a dangerous point. I feel a strong desire to warn family and encourage you to be as prepared as possible. I know some of you have felt the urgency to prepare and that is a relief to me.

Our nation ignored the 9/11 warning. We did not turn back to God. We said the exact same things that ancient Israel said when they were given a warning before God allowed the Assyrians to conquer them. Three of our nation's leaders have quoted Isaiah 9:10- "The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars". We built the Freedom Tower at Ground Zero as a sign of our strength. It's the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. A sycamore tree that fell at ground zero on 9/11 was replaced with a cedar tree that would not flourish and eventually had to be cut down (which happened on a Jewish holiday). The spot where the sycamore tree fell was next to a chapel on the World Trade Center grounds. That chapel is where George Washington dedicated this country to God and covenanted that if this country turned away from God, it would lose God's protection.

With the Supreme Court ruling, our country has turned it's back on God's sacred institution of marriage. 20 years ago (next month), we were given a warning in the form of "The Family: A Proclamation to the World": "We warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." I think everyone knows of all of the calamities foretold.

Obama has declared that this is no longer a Christian nation. Christians are being persecuted.

In January 2000, the Ensign magazine taught us about Jewish holidays. Here are some events that have occurred on Jewish holidays: Joseph Smith's birth Visit by Angel Moroni Joseph receiving the plates The restoration of the Priesthood The Savior and Moses and Elijah visiting the temple The revelation on the 3 degrees of glory The day the Book of Mormon translation was completed The day the first saints entered the Salt Lake Valley The stock market crash that occurred after 9/11. The stock market crash that occurred in 2008. (Not only were these crashes on Jewish holidays, but they were also on the Jewish Sabbath years) The first death from The Ebola sickness.

God still uses His calendar.

Here is what is scheduled to occur soon: Sept 13th- A partial solar eclipse and new moon on a Jewish holiday that marks the beginning of a Jewish Jubilee year, which come every 49 years. The First Vision occurred during a Jubilee year. Israel gained control of Jerusalem during a Jubilee year.

By Sept 17th, Congress will decide if they will accept the Iran deal that would be dangerous for the state of Israel.

The UN is planning to make Palestine a state, taking land away from Israel.

Many economists are seeing a 7 year cycle and warning of a stock market crash. It's already starting to fall. Recovery may not be possible this time. (Research Jewish Shemittah years- The last two were 2008 and 2001)

Sept 28th- The last moon of the blood moon tetrad will occur on a Jewish Holiday (you should research what has happened during each previous blood moon tetrad where they all fall on Jewish holidays). It will also be a harvest moon and a super moon. It will be visible in Jerusalem and the Americas.

There are so many significant things that have happened, are happening and appear to be about to happen.

People worry about looking at dates, as there have been so many predicted dates that have come and gone. The many events that have occurred on significant dates on the Jewish calendar are a warning to look at dates.

There will be a period of great tribulation that will come before the Savior returns. The Great Depression didn't begin on Black Friday of 1929. It took months to set in. There is, potentially, still some time to prepare physically, emotionally and spiritually for the hard times to come.

President Monson warned us a year ago (last September): "Are we prepared for the emergencies in our lives? Are our skills perfected? Do we live providently? Do we have our reserve supply on hand? Are we obedient to the commandments of God? Are we responsive to the teachings of prophets? Are we prepared to give of our substance to the poor, the needy? Are we square with the Lord?

We live in turbulent times. Often the future is unknown; therefore, it behooves us to prepare for uncertainties. When the time for decision arrives, the time for preparation is past."

He also said, "The future is as bright as your faith." It's not going to be all doom and gloom. Great things are coming, too!

With love, XXXX

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 01:03AM

I was half expecting a plug for Julie Rowe's books

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 01:55AM

Zionist?
wtf

as if Mormonism wasn't already crazy enough

is this for real - like she actually sent this to you?

what was your reply - stop watching Glenda Beck and Alex Jonestein?

Date: August 28, 2015 02:34AM

Unfortunately, this is really happening. She's been sending family emails, texts and FB ”warnings” all summer. As an apostate, my relationship is already heavily strained with that side of the family, so I tend to keep my thoughts to myself (while they continue to feel free to do and say anything they like). I have to give props to another sister-in-law (married to one of this girl's brothers) who didn't pull any punches today. The sister-in-law who sent the email group-texted pictures of her family at the airport today. They're using money from the sale of their home (in preparation for the end) to tour church sites back east. The other in-law responded to the family post with a simple question: ”fleeing?” A pertinent question, indeed.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:08PM

"They're using money from the sale of their home (in preparation for the end)..."

And here is the problem with these kinds of people. They get other spun up, and they get them to cash out of the market, sell their homes, and all that kind of crazy stuff.

Also, if you sold your home in preparation, wouldn't you want to keep that money? And where are they going to live until "the end comes?"

Your sister in law is....TSC Temple Sh*t Crazy

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:37AM

"A partial solar eclipse and new moon on a Jewish holiday that marks the beginning of a Jewish Jubilee year, which come every 49 years. The First Vision occurred during a Jubilee year. Israel gained control of Jerusalem during a Jubilee year."

Wow! In our area we have a grocery store called "Jubilee". That is just so amazingly coincidental!

The Jubilee grocery store opened in 1976, exactly 10 years after the 69th Jubilee year. And isn't there something significant about the number 69?

And even on the second page (like the Second Coming) of their flyer, the "Country Rope Sausage" is on sale for $2.69 per pound. See the word "Country"? And AGAIN . . . 69!

We all just need to wake up. Get ready folks!

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:56AM

THIS /\/\/\

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 04:05PM

wow...I bet she is a blast at parties.

And what is up with all her Jewish date, Jewish holidy stuff?

Date: August 28, 2015 05:30PM

” The Jews are God's chosen people.” The Jewish calender is ”his calendar.” It should be obvious to everyone now that god is concerned with Jewish dates and holidays. No?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 12:15AM

Learning about the Jewish "Jubilee" year was interesting. According to Wikipedia, there is no current certainty as to when the Jubilee year is, but many opinions, and for sure, one of them has this lady covered.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 01:23AM

Happy Yom Kippur!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 03:03AM

Consider yourself Yahooed unto, and behooved unto Jesus.

(Which first vision was she referring to?) The hilarious thing is, if you asked her some questions about Jewish history... she wouldn't have a clue. (They just copy and send this spamola around like chain letters.)

The freedom fighter preppers are screaming about Sept. 20-25 (depending on who is doing the squawking).

They sold their home? Where are they going-besides Mormon faux Holy lands?

Date: August 28, 2015 03:34AM

Yoohooed, not yahooed unto Jesus. (The hymn)

Gays and lesbians are causing the end of days? Will someone please write a counter to the inane proclamation of the family to send in reply to these paranoid people?

Proclamation of tolerance?
Proclamation of civil rights?

Do they think they aren't related to gays or lesbians, or work with them, or live near them? Now that gays and lesbians can get married, the world must end, seriously?

What would happen if they had a real problem, instead of a pretend problem?

Date: August 28, 2015 01:54PM

”They sold their home? Where are they going-besides Mormon faux Holy lands?” The mountains in their new 4X4 just as soon as the church tells them where the super-secret gathering place is.

Date: August 28, 2015 02:01PM

They are camping, hotels...? Do they have minor children?

Isn't Missouri the end of the rainbow in Mormonia?

Date: August 28, 2015 02:16PM

Sorry, they're renting now. I think that's what you're actually asking me.

”New Jerusalem” (at least in my neck of the church) seems to have been filed away in the backs of people's minds - almost forgotten. Safety in the ”Stakes of Zion” is the current mode of thought.

Date: August 28, 2015 03:51PM

Have they succeeded in recruiting other family members to board the crazy train?

I grew up with this insanity. It is a giant waste of time and money. Do they not think everyone knows Mormons store food...? (They would be followed by Mad Max gangs with bigger guns...)

Date: August 28, 2015 05:19PM

I don't think so, though she indicated in this email that some of the family had expressed sharing her ”sense of urgency.” I don't think anyone is going to take it to the same extreme. So the crazy seems to be staying within a small circle of preppers that consists of her, her husband and her parents.

I can only imagine growing up in a prepper household. They've got four young children of their own.

They figure the modern-day Gadianton Robbers won't be able to touch them on the church compound in the mountains. According to them, the church is going to pick up the food-storage of the elect with giant trucks under the cover of night and take it to the super-secret gathering place before the shit hits the fan.

Date: August 28, 2015 07:50PM

Any reputable child psychologist will tell them they are instilling paranoia in their children. One or more of their kids are internalizing these messages, that the world is not a safe place. Their job as parents is to provide a sense of security. They are doing the opposite. If their parents can't protect them, and the church can't protect them, they must be perfectly righteous for God to protect them...

The dry council used to peddle last days speeches, "and the moon shall turn to blood..." This tended to keep more people awake, and they thought they were next in line for mission pres, or GA... They think children aren't listening, but some are, and even if they aren't, they pick up on the fear vibe.

It is child abuse. If she thinks her kids aren't listening/absorbing all her phone calls and fear mongering, they are. She's the one causing damage, not "the wicked world." Children deserve a childhood.

Posted by: Godizilla ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:48AM

I had enouhg of this kind of BS.

Posted by: DR B. BUZZARD BAIT ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 12:36AM

The problem is Has any one posting really looked at all the evidence of a posibility some things may happen in September?
The origional poster has not nor those commenting. I am not going to try to convince anyone. I have long ago discovered when a person is so sure - they are so right, they will not listen anyway and you are wasting your breath. So I will sit back and see what happens and then the truth will be known. I also know that prudent caution for any emergency is wise.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 02:07AM

assume much?

please define "prudent caution" in the context of Jewish calendar doomsday prophecies mixed with false Mormon prophets yammering

also, please provide legitimate sources to all of your assertions above - including the one about none of the other commenters doing what you think they should be doing

Date: August 29, 2015 03:20AM

DR B. BUZZARD BAIT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem is Has any one posting really looked
> at all the evidence of a posibility some things
> may happen in September?

Yes. Enough to know that I think the evidence is weak, irrational and fear-based.

> The origional poster has not nor those commenting.

Not accurate. I've given due attention to every ”warning” my sister-in-law has issued to date. However, I well likely stop paying any attention to her very soon.

> I am not going to try to convince anyone. I have
> long ago discovered when a person is so sure -
> they are so right, they will not listen anyway and
> you are wasting your breath.

I couldn't have said it better. That is precisely how I feel.

So I will sit back
> and see what happens and then the truth will be
> known. I also know that prudent caution for any
emergency is wise.

I agree. For me, ”prudent caution” means being prepared to be completely self-sufficient for a week. Most likely enough in most cases, if ever necessary at all. Sacrificing future financial security based upon a ”feeling” of impending doom (incidentally not being espoused by the ”living prophets”) is another matter entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 03:27AM by asleep.

Posted by: MsWhinny ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 09:24PM

Um. Sept 13 is Rosh Hashanah, the beginning of the Jewish Year. And guess what? Rosh Hashanah always falls on the new moon. Because that's the way the Jewish calendar works. Nothing to be alarmed about.

September 28 is Sukkot, which is a harvest festival that always falls on the full moon. Because that's the way the Jewish calendar works.

So I married an unbelieving Jew! That's how I know.

I hope the poor sister-in-law can relax a little if someone explains this to her!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 10:26PM

I hear paranoia crap like this from my sister sometimes. Not to this extreme, but she's always fearful of something happening. She thinks the stock market will crash, etc. If people panic enough, then they might be pushing things down that road when they never had to go there in the first place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.