Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeerAtMoessers ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:12PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:29PM

Comment:

""""
it's time for some perspective
WAUSAU, WI
I will follow the Prophet.

But I won't attend or send my kids to ANY scouting events with any non-LDS leaders."""

But we love everyone else, and it is the church who is being persecuted.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:35PM

Two observations from reading comments on the Deseret News story:

1. (I posted this on another thread too) It's amazing how much the membership wanted to drop Scouting and the leaders kept the program in place.

2. The Duty to God program IS UP AND RUNNING. It's been introduced over the last decade or more. Most wards were running the program concurrently with Scouting. DTG took a back seat in most wards, but it's there with manuals for leaders, adults and ALL THREE QUORUMS of boys.

3. The members who say they will never donate to Scouting again, or EVER let their kids go on an outing with non LDS Scouts I say this:

Where is your Christ-like approach to life? This issue? Other human beings both non-members and members who are gay?

TSCC is an Old Testament church that likes to say it is Christian. Wait, the ONE AND ONLY TRUE Christian church on the face of the earth. Right...

Bigots. Homophobes. And very angry over Scouting.

Posted by: speckles (NLI) ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:40PM

Love this gem:

illuminated
St George, UT
Unbelievable. Nearly 70% of active Mormons polled in Utah said they wanted the Church to break away from the program.

I have to ask, do we have moral standards or not? The LDS Church is endorsing a program which permits openly and sexually active homosexual male leaders. I don't care if the Church thinks it can get away with maintaining its own leadership (which I don't believe will last long before lawsuits start flying), they have chosen to support an organization that does.

There are many BSA programs and activities that do not choose leadership through LDS channels including employees at summer camps, jamborees, and other regional & national events.

I honestly can't believe what is going on here. I've been taught since primary to choose high moral standards and to choose the right no matter the consequences. The Church can't even answer its own temple recommend questions any longer. This is not the right choice.

I'm done with the program and am moving out of state as soon as I can. LDS leadership is starting to remind me of the GOP congress. Just go along and get along. Are we a peculiar people anymore?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:47PM

How long will it be before LDS parents begin informing the local Bishop that Johnny won't be attending YM any longer because the program is BOY SCOUTS.

Won't that be a mind blower...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:54PM

This is the one that made me go WHAAAAT?

"Imagine how nice it will be someday when those who are Scouting leaders can have more weekends and holidays with their families vs. the Scouting program..."

You gotta be kidding me. I never saw my parents. Not because of scouting. Because of Bishop and High Councilman and Relief Society President, and home teaching, and building the new chapel, and the church welfare farm and you name it.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:55PM

Again the LDS makes enormous blunder of a decision that 70% of members are against.

Just another poor decision the 'living prophets' made. Hopefully, we will see new exmos join the board because of this!

Need to make sure LDS faithful are reminded how their prophets will bow to any political decision before following Jebus who doesn't have any potential impact on their tax exempt status!

Even as an active Mormon I told the 'friends of Scouting' I was no friend so don't bother me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 05:56PM by spiritist.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:09PM

So 3/4 of the morg membership wants out of the BSA and the morg leadership totally ignores them!????

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:16PM

Oh those silly saints! What happened to 'follow the prophet!' and 'When the prophet speaks the thinking is done.'

I'm sure there are others.

My one TBM daughter is heavily invested in scouting. It's even in her personal email address. She's got one eagle scout and the two younger boys are, by damn, going to be eagle scouts, too. So she was obviously (it seems to me) in the minority that was for keeping the program.

But if this causes a few thousand saints to *question*, it's good to know we're all here to help them figure things out.

Date: August 26, 2015 06:27PM

Maybe this is one of those " the thinking has been done already" examples or whatever that dumb morg phase is....

Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 10:22PM

They won't listen to the majority of members because TSCC church does what it wants that either saves them $ or makes them $

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 10:23PM by goodeye.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:18PM

What these people don't realize is that their kids have (or will have) gay school teachers. They will have them all year. And that these kids will have lessons, classwork, homework and tests with these teachers just as they would with any other teacher.

Date: August 26, 2015 06:28PM

Great catch on that one!! They'll never escape because they are everywhere.....

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:22PM

Just can't win for losing...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:23PM

Not to mention gay classmates and media favorites!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:29PM

This is exactly what I thought would happen. They don't want to have to come up with a program for the young men to replace scouting. They pick the leaders anyway and have been given the "religious exemption."

Date: August 26, 2015 06:35PM

Then what was/ is the purpose of the morg's "Duty to God" program!??? It also has taken a back seat lately as I've seen none given at Sacrement meetings this summer(maybe June or earlier!???)

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:32PM

The CULT needs to have its own organization like the Hitler Youth and eventually they will get it.
I personally think they prefer Scout Leaders like this one in this video rather than law-abiding gay leaders...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/18/goblin-valley-boy-scout-leaders-destroy-rock_n_4122488.html

Without scouting, they'd have to invent some new callings..... isn't that one of the coveted guy callings? Maybe they can have a GAY BASHING IN PUBLIC calling.... Whatever. SUCK DICK CULT!!

The sooner they get their own version of the Hitler Youth group, the better. Most other kids don't want CULT members in their scouting group anyway since they act like self righteous as*holes! After watching the moron mentality of CULT scout leaders in Goblin Valley, I don't blame them.
I am upset about this decision too. The CULT needs its own youth organization which can really brainwash the kids like they always have without interference from people with real IQs.

If I had a kid of scouting age and there were CULT members in the group, I'd pull my kid out. I don't my kids exposed to the CULT in any way, shape, or form including indirectly!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 06:37PM by verilyverily.

Date: August 26, 2015 06:38PM

Like the anti vampire camp program run by fundie Christians in " True Blood"!???

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:05PM

newspaper. Here is why and what I think is happening.

With the rise of the Internet the past two decades and with the increased power of social media TBM's are now discussing all issues much more than they used to and with more people.

TBM's are actually thinking and talking more about current issues and getting comfortable with being critical online. So they are naturally going to feel a bit more comfortable taking a critical look at how the Brethren are behaving and making decisions that actually affect them personally.

So in a way TBM's are gradually feeling more comfortable "speaking ill of the Lord's anointed" without even realizing it. However, I bet the Brethren are noticing this big time and are frightened at the prospect of the sheep no going baah, baah, baah like they used to.

The Brethren are losing control and if they don't realize it, then their denial will just speed up the apostasy. I wish I could be in one of their silly temple meetings and witness firsthand the squirming in their seats as they try to pretend that the Lord will help them fix this big mess.

For this reason I hope Monson lives to be centurion as the body of the Mormons moves over, under and around him towards the future.

Oh and another point is that the TBM's are struggling now how to sift the wheat from the tares. They are now openly arguing with each other as to who is more righteous and moral. Nothing like a bunch of bigots to self-righteously cannabilize themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 09:10PM by cricket.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:36PM

It's sad how anti-gay the people of Utah are. I see people trying to backpeddle and say that scouting is not everyone's thing. I understand that, but I think their rejection of it is merely because of the gay leader thing.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:39PM

I think many TBMs are genuinely shocked by the church's decision. From my conversations with TBMs, it seemed like most assumed that the church would dump the scouting program. Some may have even had a "revelation" that such a thing would happen. Surprise.

It's sad to see from reading the comments that many members seem to be more judgemental and bigoted than the church itself is.

Posted by: noony ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:13AM

the people of Utah are not homophobic. That is certainly a generalization. Seeing that many that live in Utah are transplants there are more that are accepting but bend over because of the Utah morons.

I've lived here 30 years and am not homophobic. But I'm not from Utah either. But I raised my Utah kid to not be homophobic either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.