Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:02PM

Does it have to do with when you first beat it or what!??? How does it work!?? How does one figure this out!???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:55PM

I believe that to be considered cured of cancer you have to be cancer-free for five years. My husband's niece had cancer and she has been cancer-free for five years. The five years started on the day of her last chemotherapy treatment.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:21PM

My dad beat the odds against his prostate cancer back in 1990. Doctors gave him six months at most to live, it was a rare form.

Dad chose the pill chemo therapy instead of radiation or surgery. Surprisingly, it went into remission without doing anything else.

He lived another ten years, and died because of a botched biopsy procedure. So instead of the cancer killing him, the doctors did.

By the above definition, my dad was a cancer survivor. I'm selfishly glad he was with us that for that extra ten years.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:43PM

AA members celebrate the anniversary of their sobriety date as a birthday. No reason why they and cancer survivors shouldn't commemorate a day they have reason to think important.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 07:50PM

I'll google it for you.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 07:54PM

Well there's all kinds of different answers like how each person determines their own date but the answer that makes the most sense to me is , its the date of your final procedure .... like
last radiation or the last chemo. Thats the date most people go by.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:14AM

Are you asking about our own personal survivor b-day?
If so, mine was November 21, 2013 when I was "cured in surgery" by way of a 2x mastectomy.

My surgeon tried to talk me out of the radical 2x, but I told her that I won't play "catch-me-if-you-can" with cancer. With the 2x, I bypassed radiation. (I've had radiation sickness before --bomb tests in the Nevada desert--and so I said noooooo thank you!) Also bypassed chemo.

I was very lucky.

I had enough staples in my chest to look like the grill of a 1948 Chrysler, but that's ok. Now, I just look a little more aero-dynamic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.