Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 01:41PM

Inequality in the workplace never looked so bad as it does in Utah, concerning gender.

For women who have to work outside the home, and single mothers especially, this doesn't bode well when the opportunities aren't even there for a woman to succeed, or merely survive.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2015/08/25/edge-utahs-embarrassing-gender-gap/#.Vd35RvlVhBc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 01:42PM

What about Idaho and Arizona!???

Date: August 26, 2015 01:51PM

southern idaho inactive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about Idaho and Arizona!???

Idaho ranks 49th, and Arizona comes in at 20th.

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-women-equality/5835/

So, all things considered, Idaho and Utah are on par with each other. Only Utah is just a teensy eensy bit worse.

:(

Date: August 26, 2015 01:55PM

Although on the same survey, it is noted that Idaho comes in 3rd for the smallest pay gap between the sexes.

And Utah comes in at 47th.

Big disparity for them to be so close in rankings.

Date: August 26, 2015 03:08PM

That pretty embarrassing!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:10PM

And that doesn't factor in all the women who are forced to work as contractors, or part time, so cheap Utah employers don't have to count them or provide any benefits.

It's worse than it looks.

Kathleen

Date: August 26, 2015 04:08PM

Amen to that. :(

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:16PM

Well, you know, women shouldn't be taking jobs from priesthood holders, who need them so their wives can stay home and do her proper helpmeet duties. So the crappier wages are to discourage women so they'll quit.

Date: August 26, 2015 04:11PM

Perhaps so.

I've been looking to retire to Utah. Undecided whether to go now and find a job to round out my time until I can collect Social Security.

Or wait it out here, where at least I have some job security, and won't have to start all over at some menial job.

When I do move out west, I anticipate finding a job will be just to stay busy, and bring in some pocket money. Because I wouldn't be able to live on minimum wage if that were my only income.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:16PM

Amyjo! Come to Washington!

Climate change has improved things here

Cost of living 1/3 cheaper than California but wages the same

No state tax

Great social services

Real estate property is affordable to buy and rents are reasonable.

My whole family is drifting up here one by one by one. Four families here now, more coming.

For example, last year one daughter bought a water-view home in North Tacoma (lovely area, upscale) for $265K.

I retired here and am loving it. Don't underestimate the future water wars in your consideration.

Kathleen

PS Besides, then we can be friends IRL!

Date: August 27, 2015 09:11PM

Thanks, I may consider that. One of my children loves Seattle, and has considered moving there eventually. (He went to grad school up north in Vancouver, BC.)

My health insurance has zero doctors there who participate in my plan, but maybe by the time I'm ready to relocate that could change.

I have some cousins who live there I haven't seen in years and years. They live in the Seattle area. Their parents moved there when they were kids, in the Chehalis area.

:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:51PM

Why is that not a surprise?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:54PM

DUH!! Is this supposed to be a surprise?

Date: August 26, 2015 06:11PM

What about female CEO's??

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:35PM

With more men leaving the church, this won't help. Even if the wife stays an active member, plenty of non-mo husbands will let her pay tithing on her salary, not his. Then there are the women who find themselves divorced and having to support 5 kids with no job skills and look to the church for help.

When I joined the church, I had just finished a M.S. and made it pretty clear I wasn't going to put up with the type of crap I saw other women putting up with. I didn't last too long.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:54PM

To the true believers in the wage gap, I challenge you to read this. Don't be like TBMs who will only consider what they want to believe:

https://mises.org/library/what%E2%80%99s-behind-gender-wage-gap

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:04PM

The article talks about gender gap as in number of women graduating college in UT compared to men. Of course women will earn less if they are uneducated. UT has the largest gap for executive positions. Just look at the top 15 in the mormon church. Could that have anything to do with it?

Date: August 26, 2015 10:32PM

And a bleeping branch president where I once lived decided "for me" that I had a "duty" to move to Utah when I was going through a divorce, instead of working in Manhattan.

I told him then it was a crazy idea, and that it would never work. A single mom newly out of college, and with two little children in tow, the last place on earth I needed or had any desire to be was Utah.

After three years of my living and working in NYC, he came back to visit (he'd been forced to move away after he told me I had no right to live there. And he was 'forced' to move himself and his family to Utah, same place he would've exiled me to years before,) and I asked him at church that day whether he still believed I had a right to live where I was? It wasn't that I needed his blessing or approval, but it sure would've been nice if he could've been a gentleman and given it! Prick that he was.

He smugly shook his head, and said, "No, you do not." The same verdict he'd given me was exactly what happened to him shortly afterwards when he was fired from his six figure job, and forced to sell his house and move from there - months after giving me some crazy ultimatum. He'd told me someone at work had "poisoned the well" for him. Like he had nothing to do with that either lol.

Like he f*ng owned me! Because I was a single woman and active in the church at that time. F*ng Moronic bastard. That's when I saw how destructive the patriarchal system is in the church. They take away any ability for someone to think and act for themselves. They tell us we have our "free agency," as they try to strip it from us.

Well, I was happy it was him and not me, that had to flee to Utah soon after my children and I moved to NYC. Served him right! I weathered out several recessions working @ the same job. Wasn't his place to tell me where I could live or work.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 07:52PM

Date: August 27, 2015 09:23PM

Even he didn't last long (career wise,) in Utah.

Last I heard he's living down in Albuquerque, NM lol.

Guess the Logan, Utah area just wasn't his cup of tea, or his wife's.

Date: August 27, 2015 09:20PM

One thing I didn't see discussed in the article was that women in the LDS church by and large make it their life "work" and "goal" to be "mothers first and foremost," wives, and then career women.

That may also account for part of the disparity in the gender gap there in Utah.

Even the women with the degrees, and some work experience; they aren't going to be as gun ho as are their husbands, or male counterparts in the workplace, because to the Mormon wife and mother, the family ALWAYS comes first.

As past president David O. McKay used to preach and was drummed into our feminine heads as young girls growing up in the church "No success can compensate for failure in the home."

That motto itself has kept many women in subservient roles in the workplace, as they juggle their private lives with their professions. That has to play a large role me thinks in this gender gap being so pervasive in Utah and Idaho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 07:31AM by amyjo.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 05:15AM

The stats on Utah on almost every aspect are bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.