Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:11PM

Now, this isn't exactly earth shattering.

But it is a mile-wide step from where the church used to be on this position.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mormons-keep-affiliation-boy-scouts-despite-decision-allowing-gay-leaders-n416351

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:29PM

I'm guessing church PR realized this would only end in disaster.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:32PM

Posted by: unbelievable ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:15PM

Agree 100%

Date: August 26, 2015 12:31PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1652392,1652951#msg-1652951

Okay, sorry about that, but you all can touch my old merit badge sash... I think it's still stashed somewhere in my parents' house.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:46PM

Shouldn't they pull out since the BSA accepts gays and the morg still doesn't!??

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:49PM

I just retrieved my mail this morning, and sure enough, it was a letter from the bishop asking me to contribute to "Friends of Scouting."

Date: August 26, 2015 01:42PM

It was a good move on the part of the morg, granted.

It still has a long ways to go to become politically correct rather than inept.

:D

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:07PM

How this socially divisive organisation is allowed to continue discriminating and causing friction and conflict within families, is totally beyond me.
The church leaders are directly responsible for this human misery amongst it's members, including young people taking their own lives in sheer desperation and despair.
These self righteous and pompous Mormon pharisees who actively promote vicious anti gay policies against fellow humans should be held to account for their continuing intolerance, which is an affront to basic human rights and decency.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 01:55PM

It's a win win situation for both political groups.

BSA will still accommodates for straight troops, where gay leaders are not in the picture. The church apparently accepts that and will continue emphasizing morality and clean living among its members and investigators. Gays (very small in number) also have their opportunity to do their thing somewhere else. LDS would be foolish to meddle with something that they already are being accommodated in. Why fix it if it aint broken:)

Date: August 26, 2015 02:00PM

Will this not lead to lawsuits of discrimination though, by gay men who desire to become troop leaders in a straight troop?

I don't know how they're going to parce this out because someone will inevitably cry foul.

Interesting quagmire the scouts are digging themselves into.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:26PM

In most states and under federal rules, the LGBT community enjoys no legal protection from discrimination.

While it might lead to litigation, it is very unlikely such litigation will be successful.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:49PM

"Separate but Equal" would be the correct buzzword. Didn't the US Supreme court already weigh in on this concept although in a different venue?

Date: August 26, 2015 04:07PM

Schools were and remain a public facility. Boy Scouts was and is a private club.

With very few exceptions, private clubs are free to admit whom they want both as members and volunteer leaders. I don't think LGBT is going to qualify for one of those exceptions.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:33PM

And wasn't it okay with the courts that the BSA discriminated against atheists?

Date: August 26, 2015 06:36PM

Absolutely it was.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 02:00PM

"Church leaders decided to stay with Boy Scouts after getting assurances they can appoint troop leaders according to their own religious and moral values."

Umm...haven't they always done this? It's like my post earlier about my wife. They call the leaders anyway.

Also, I found out about this from my wife first with a text. "Damn church is keeping scouts."

Not sure if because of that, or because she has to keep being a cub scout master.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 02:05PM

Interesting how a majority of it's members are in favor of dropping the chartering association and the leaders choose the politically correct option–once again caving to public opinion.

Everyone must realize that TBM YM that were into Scouting would have been able to continue their Scouting experience outside of the church right? There would have been missionary opportunities and much more experienced leadership too.

This was a political move. Looking forward to more insights.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 02:05PM

Based on today's decision, I feel this is the reason and plan:

They cant break off right now. It would be bad PR and there are too many ties to the BSA with land, leaders, manuals, funding etc

they WILL break off, in the next few years. In the meantime they will come up with a program for boys and girls and create the rewards, badges, uniforms, coordinate how to keep the lands donated to BSA, or at least their use. Change the manuals and programs, review the liability and the extent of the legalese (travel, overnight accommodations, gays) etc.Their new program will be touted as a promotion for equality and it will be a way to use fun to keep the youth active. It will use social media and include lots of service in the community, like the peace corps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 02:52PM by sb.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 02:22PM

Agreed 1000%.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:46PM

The Scientology Sea Org program. Perfect for indoctrination and other diabolical schemes "The Brethren" want to launch!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org

Date: August 26, 2015 02:23PM

The church needs to get on board if it wishes to retain members in the generations coming up.

Otherwise, it's going to keep bleeding members right and left, as there are only going to be more gays joining the ranks of scouting in years to come, than before.

Including among the Mormons, those who are LDS are still either going to break completely free or be passive or active opposition within the ranks.

Being gay and Mormon do not really coincide. Although from my understanding the church teaches sexual repression for those who are gay - to still marry heterosexual despite their other orientation.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:13PM

The way I read it, LDS Corp hasn't lost a thing. They have obtained the right (from BSA) to choose their own scout leaders. They will certainly NOT choose anyone who even hints of homosexuality.

BSA now permits all leaders, but LDS Corp will not be part of that.

As far as LDS Corp scout units and practices are concerned, nothing has changed.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:13PM

The church will have an easy workaround. Scout leader callings are directed by God. God will happen to never call anyone who is gay.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:20PM

But he's ok with calling child molesters.

Nothing has changed.

Kathleen

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:32PM

The Morg is losing young males at an alarming rate. They are
telling young women that maybe they'll have to settle for being
single their whole life (as opposed to telling them they can
marry a non-Mormon, find love, and raise a family--is this a
cult or what?).

The last thing they can afford to do is have the boys going to a
secular Boy Scout troop instead of church.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:59PM

Yup. They can keep their heterosexual pedophiles. Just don't make them hire homosexuals.

Date: August 27, 2015 11:20AM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 06:40PM

I put this comment on another thread today but it fits here too...

The CULT needs to have its own organization like the Hitler Youth and eventually they will get it.
I personally think they prefer Scout Leaders like this one in this video rather than law-abiding gay leaders...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/18/goblin-valley-boy-scout-leaders-destroy-rock_n_4122488.html

Without scouting, they'd have to invent some new callings..... isn't that one of the coveted guy callings? Maybe they can have a GAY BASHING IN PUBLIC calling.... Whatever. SUCK DICK CULT!!

The sooner they get their own version of the Hitler Youth group, the better. Most other kids don't want CULT members in their scouting group anyway since they act like self righteous as*holes! After watching the moron mentality of CULT scout leaders in Goblin Valley, I don't blame them.
I am upset about this decision too. The CULT needs its own youth organization which can really brainwash the kids like they always have without interference from people with real IQs.

If I had a kid of scouting age and there were CULT members in the group, I'd pull my kid out. I don't my kids exposed to the CULT in any way, shape, or form including indirectly!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.