Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:54AM

It used to be an overly racist sexiest weird cult that you could make a lot of conspiracies about. They even used to slit people's throats!! Now all they are is some boring overly conservative crap. The prophets don't make weird statements anymore. And no one has more than one wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 10:30AM

I don't believe any actual throat slitting took place. There aren't any murder conspiracies I'm aware of from studying Mormon church history, other than the MMM.

As for coolness, I don't believe Mormonism was 'ever' cool. I always thought of it as the antithesis to whatever coolness represents.

If anyone found it cool, they were on the other side of the fence from me, even while I was Mormon. There were some people in various wards where I lived I would ascribe as being cool, but that was in a fashion sense only.

Most of the women I recall dressed very modestly and conservatively, as did the men.

Their attitudes were prudish for the most part.

And it shaped who I became. A rather conservative, boring college educated female, who extricated myself from its ranks out of necessity.

Mainstream Moism hasn't practiced polygamy for nearly 130 years. They just covet more than one wife in their hearts, and lust is covert.

Which is one reason I believe so many men fall down the mountain, because they can't keep their thoughts pure enough concerning monogamy (in the church system.)

They've been brought up to believe in the plural marriage concept, and many of the Mormon males I recall really seemed to enjoy that concept the most out of all of em.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:11AM

amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't believe any actual throat slitting took
> place. There aren't any murder conspiracies I'm
> aware of from studying Mormon church history,
> other than the MMM.

Rosmos Anderson was a Danish man who had come to Utah...He had married a widow lady...and she had a daughter that was fully grown at the time of the reformation...

At one of the meetings during the reformation Anderson and his step-daughter confessed that they had committed adultery, believing when they did so that Brigham Young would allow them to marry when he learned the facts. Their confession being full, they were rebaptized and received into full membership. They were then placed under covenant that if they again committed adultery, Anderson should suffer death. Soon after this a charge was laid against Anderson before the Council, accusing him of adultery with his step-daughter...the Council voted that Anderson must die for violating his covenants. Klingensmith went to Anderson and notified him that the orders were that he must die by having his throat cut, so that the running of his blood would atone for his sins. Anderson, being a firm believer in the doctrines and teachings of the Mormon Church, made no objections, but asked for half a day to prepare for death. His request was granted. His wife was ordered to prepare a suit of clean clothing, in which to have her husband buried, and was informed that he was to be killed for his sins, she being directed to tell those who should enquire after her husband that he had gone to California.

Klingensmith, James Haslem, Daniel McFarland and John M. Higbee dug a grave in the field near Cedar City, and that night, about 12 o'clock, went to Anderson's house and ordered him to make ready to obey the Council. Anderson got up, dressed himself, bid his family good-bye, and without a word of remonstrance accompanied those that he believed were carrying out the will of the "Almighty God." They went to the place where the grave was prepared; Anderson knelt upon the side of the grave and prayed. Klingensmith and his company then cut Anderson's throat from ear to ear and held him so that his blood ran into the grave. As soon as he was dead they dressed him in his clean clothes, threw him into the grave and buried him. They then carried his bloody clothing back to his family, and gave them to his wife to wash, when she was again instructed to say that her husband was in California .... The killing of Anderson was then considered a religious duty and a just act.

Thomas Coleman (or Colburn), who was in good standing as a member of the LDS Church. As Mormon historian D. Michael Quinn has documented, Coleman was apparently secretly courting a white Mormon woman, contrary to both territorial law and Mormon teachings regarding people of African descent.

At one of their clandestine meetings behind the old Arsenal (on what is now Capitol Hill in Salt Lake) on December 11, Coleman was discovered by "friends" of the woman. The group of vigilantes hit Coleman with a large rock. Using his own bowie knife, his attackers slit his throat so deeply from ear to ear that he was nearly decapitated, as well as slicing open his right breast, in what some believe was a mimicry of penalties illustrated in the temple ritual. Not all of Coleman's wounds correlated with the temple ritual, however, since he was also castrated. A pre-penciled placard was then pinned to his corpse stating "NOTICE TO ALL @#$%& - TAKE WARNING - LEAVE WHITE WOMEN ALONE."

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:24AM

+10000000000000

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:25AM

There are many other tales of people supposedly being attacked by natives as they tried to flee Utah. Besides Brigham's "avenging angels", there had to be more people that were killed when "apostles" were preaching crap like this:

“I say, there are men and women that I would advise to go to the Presidency immediately, and ask him to appoint a committee to attend to their care; and then let a place be selected, and let that committee shed their blood. We have amongst us that are full of all manner of abominations, those who need to have their blood shed, for water will not do, their sins are too deep a dye... I believe that there are a great many; and if they are covenant breakers we need a place designated, where we can shed their blood... Brethren and sisters, we want you to repent and forsake your sins. And you who have committed sins that cannot be forgiven through baptism, let your blood be shed, and let the smoke ascend, that the incense thereof may come up before God as an atonement for your sins, and that the sinners in Zion may be afraid.”

- Apostle Jebediah M. Grant, 2nd counselor to Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 4, pp. 49-51

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:37AM

Another good one. It is most definitely "cool" having the historians here put out all of this ugly Mormon history on full display.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:47AM

Can you please tell me where you found these stories? I'd like to use them, but need the references.

Thanks!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:56AM

The Rosmos Anderson story comes from "The Confessions of John D. Lee."

The Thomas Coleman story comes from D. Michael Quinn's "Extensions of Power."

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:34AM

I disagree with you. Throat slitting DID happen. My own great-grandfather was slit from ear to ear. Of course family will say it was just some crazy person that did it, however he became pretty vocal in his later years and disagreed with the church.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 10:41AM

Yes whiteanddelightsome. When we were young we were still . . .

The Peculiar!

We were odd. We were interesting. We were, yea, even fascinating to some. There were legends of having horns. Blood atonement was hip, and if another man wouldn't give Bishop snow his fiance, he could cut off his testicles and hang them over the door of the chapel and Brigham himself would approve.

At least when I was young I could stand and pretend to slit my throat disembowel myself wondering which was the best order to do that in if one is to accomplish both. We proudly turned our coffee cups over in restaurants as others gazed curiously and some men still wore their garments under their basketball uniforms. Couples proudly stood under plastic decorated basketball hoops after they returned from the temple and before they rushed to a motel room to debate the great question: Garments on or garments off?

Cool. Maybe an odd word for then. But most definitely non applicable now.

The Mormon church has watered itself down to such a point that they would have to scramble three rungs up on the ladder to even get to Boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 11:15AM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:30AM

I still don't find any such tales "cool" or even weird.

They were out and out cold blooded, pre-meditated murder.

As for becoming practices of the church cult, they sound more Satanic to me.

Wonder why Satanism is so alive and well in the Morridor?

That isn't cool either. It's just an inverse reaction to Moism.

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:41PM

Don't forget Joseph Smith and his alleged hits.

Yes, I'm still on about that.

Mormon history. The gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 01:04PM

It was never " cool" in the first place.....

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:21PM

When the hell was Mormonism ever cool?

Posted by: -\|/- ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:01PM

anymore?

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:28PM

I thought I was well-respected by non-members when I was a Mormon, but after I left I found that most people thought how weird the religion is. They just tried to bite their tongue when I was a believer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.