Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 06:23PM

I work in a building with 3 floors. Our elevator scares me. Probably claustrophobia from being locked in closets a lot by my older sister when I was a kid.

But even with that I like taking stairs.

I recently moved from the ground floor to the top floor. My desk has the elevator in my field of vision all day long. I've been mentally tracking who takes the elevator. I have to say the majority of people in this building who take the elevator could use the exertion of the stairs if there is no medical reason preventing them.

I work closely with one guy and when I go downstairs with him he goes for the elevator but sometimes says he "should" take the stairs and goes with me.

One new guy just left swigging on a diet cola as he entered the elevator. He could use more stairs and less diet cola. I rarely see him without one. The company provides free soda.

Sad. I have another friend who always takes the elevator and I've asked her why not the stairs? And she just says she's lazy.

It isn't that hard. The irony is some of these people have "Fitbits." These devices have become the popular jewelry here at work. Why??? Dear God why????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 06:59PM

I always take the stairs... from underground parking to my office floor (4-5 floors depending on parking availability).

I think that there is a point where the lack of fitness or a medical condition makes stairs genuinely dificult and painful for folks. Sadly, as you've pointed out, those are usually the people that would benefit the most from the excersize; but I don't blame them for not taking the stairs.

Date: August 25, 2015 07:22PM

AKA Alma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that there is a point where the lack of
> fitness or a medical condition makes stairs
> genuinely dificult and painful for folks. Sadly,
> as you've pointed out, those are usually the
> people that would benefit the most from the
> excersize; but I don't blame them for not taking
> the stairs.

For me it isn't even just exercise. I've injured myself and can't do what I love most to do for exercise. But it is activity. We have a somewhat exercise incentive program which is just about getting people more active. The usual suspects never sign up. If it is medical or they would injure themselves that is one thing.

The diet soda I just don't understand. This person takes that elevator all the time because their dept is split (like mine) between top and bottom floors.

Just drink the sugar soda. Why do diet? They obviously don't use the opportunity of the stairs which I have seen them take to talk to someone taking them.

The thing that kills me is there is a person here who has a visible limp from some sort of medical problem and they take the stairs.

I'm asthmatic. One guy asked me if I quit exercising because I was pretty winded once after climbing the stairs. I told them I was asthmatic and sometimes the stairs wind me. They felt pretty bad but I told them it was totally cool. I joke about my asthma. It was probably caused because my parents refused to believe me when I told them I couldn't breath as a kid. I had to become an adult to get treatment.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:09PM

Always-take-the-stairs crew checking in

brb ~ stepping / walking away from heart disease

~

ziller had a mentor

with office on the 6th floor

never took the elevator

he lived well into his 90's

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:22PM

As long as I'm not in a crapload of pain and exhaustion or sick, I almost always take the stairs. It's a great way to get that junk in the trunk solid. (I'm asthmatic too and even brisk walking can make me wheeze.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 07:23PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:59PM

I used to be able to take the stairs. As I've aged, my knees have gotten weaker, and I have some arthritis there. One knee is so severe that taking stairs exacerbates the condition and is painful.

When I retire and relocate I'm looking only at homes without stairs for my retirement home. I hope to be as independent for as long as possible, and don't need the added burden of stairs as I get older.

So, no, I don't take the stairs any longer. Oh, I'm asthmatic also. But not severe enough not to take stairs. The asthma is well controlled. Like you, I believe I may have had asthma symptoms as a child, but my parents didn't treat me for that, or have it diagnosed. Sometimes I'd cough for days or weeks and not know what that was for.

Now I do. Pets trigger my asthma. Growing up on a farm in Idaho, we had many farm animals and the usual assortment of cats and dogs.

Date: August 25, 2015 08:18PM

amyjo Wrote:
> Now I do. Pets trigger my asthma. Growing up on a
> farm in Idaho, we had many farm animals and the
> usual assortment of cats and dogs.

Same here. I grew up in a zoo. I think my parents were compensating for not being allowed to have pets or some kind of animals as pets when they were children?

They still are children thanks to LDS Inc. methinks.

At any rate, cats, dogs, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, fish, hermit crabs, toads, frogs, turtles, chickens I think rounds out the list.

Pets trigger mine terribly.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 08:02PM

I take the stairs when ever I can. I try to go as fast as I can

because I think that old adage is true..... "if you don't use it

you lose it"...... I wish I lived in a two story house just for

that reason.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 08:02PM

I've been always taking the stairs, and purposely parking my car a long way from the front gate of work. I'm trying to lose weight.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 10:58PM

I'll let you in on a secret. The answer may be to cut out sugar and carbs. 62 pounds off says it worked for me.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 08:05PM

Always.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 08:19PM

I usually take the stairs if its less then 3-4 floors, unless I'm carrying equipment then I will usually take the elevator.

Date: August 25, 2015 08:20PM

Well, duh! Don't carry things up the stairs that aren't small and light!

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 09:57PM

I am more likely to take them up than down. The ankle I broke 4 years ago has a lot of issues. It has been known to lock going down. That coupled with bad knees from a fall down a fire escape in college down is painful.

Up is better exercise anyway, at least that is my story and I am sticking with it.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 10:02PM

I work on the second floor, so I always take the stairs. Only time I have been in elevator at work was when I had a guest who was mobility impaired and needed to ride rather than walk.

Was on a recent vacation and stayed on the sixth floor of a building. I would say it was about 50-50 between stairs and elevators there.

If I had luggage or a package, it was elevator time. Otherwise, I generally walked.

I almost always park far from the door at work, shopping, out to eat, etc.

Posted by: that guy ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 10:56PM

I take 30 mile bike rides in the mountains 3 to 4 times per week

I take the elevator

Date: August 26, 2015 12:38PM

Weird. I cycle instead of run now and I don't think anything about taking the stairs. Waiting for a machine and being carted up two floors by it feels like I'm an inanimate human resource.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:03AM

Just moved the son to college..third floor...took the stairs every trip except for the last one up..just couldn't do it one more time. Did do the last time down though.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 01:01AM

Try not to judge other people when you don't know them, or don't know them well. Some of us have chronic conditions and you can't tell by looking at us. Up a hill or up stairs is tough for me. Going down stairs isn't as hard but sometimes my knees aren't too happy about it. Walking on a flat surface when I'm not symptomatic is not a big deal but I can only go for so long until I have to rest. When it's hot outside, all bets are off. I was born this way so that's just the way it is for me.

When I was younger I did live in 2nd or 3rd floor apartments much of the time and there were no elevators. My previous house had two stories and the bedrooms were upstairs so I had to go up and down the stairs. Current house is mostly on one level. In hindsight that was a wise decision.

Date: August 26, 2015 12:39PM

formermollymormon Wrote:
> Try not to judge other people when you don't know
> them, or don't know them well.

I know a few of them well. They and I have been here for years and years and they have no excuse other than, "I'm lazy."

To each his own. It is just sad to see.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:40AM

I've dropped 8 pounds in the last month, and all I had to do was start doing jumping jacks when I take the elevator, both up and down!!!

Date: August 26, 2015 12:40PM

You must have a big elevator. I would hit the walls.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 05:45AM

LOL! You've made me laugh twice tonight already, elderolddog.

Posted by: Swirlything ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:19AM

It's 15 fights to the floor I work on. I take the stairs once or twice a day when at work. Most everyone there thinks I'm crazy. A couple frequently comment that they should join me, but they never do.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:19AM

I work on a relatively high floor of a building and try to take them whenever I can, just for staying in shape, not because I'm afraid of elevators.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 01:16PM by kolobian.

Date: August 26, 2015 12:41PM

WOW! I'm impressed.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:39PM

When I worked on the 24th floor, no. Otherwise, I usually take the stairs.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:46PM

Yes. I also park at the far end of the parking lots at grocery and mart stores.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 12:52PM

I work at home. I do take the stairs to do laundry, etc. My boyfriend's house has 4 sets of stairs. I have no choice, but to take the stairs. The office I can work in and do off and on has a lot of stairs and I use the stairs. I do park far away from the stores, but mostly because I hate parking close to someone and my car isn't the reason.

I love diet coke. I'm off of it for a bit, but plan on going back on it. It is my one addiction that I allow. Diet coke tastes better. That is why people drink it. I hate that sugary syrupy taste of regular soda. Right now I drink crystal light.

And I'm overweight. I've lost quite a bit. I gained a lot of weight when my husband left me. Food was my drug of choice.

Date: August 26, 2015 02:46PM

I love Diet Coke Zero. That's been my favorite summer soda this year. It really does taste better in the "taste" department, from its competitors.

Losing weight for me got harder when I passed 40. I used to be able to shed pounds with very little effort.

Now it takes incredible willpower to lose even a few pounds, and to keep them off, especially during the long, brutally cold winters of the Northeast.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:29PM

I do not take the stairs unless there is no other way. Knees are bad!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:39PM

I work on the 2nd floor and I take the stairs about half the time (going down).

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 03:44PM

Yes. It is a habit developed from a long time ago. It's faster and it is good to get the blood pumping . Plus it is faster than waiting for an elevator.

I drink coffee. No diet coke for me. That stuff is bad for you.

Remember, just because it is being sold doesn't mean you have to buy it.

And if TSM drinks diet coke, you can bet your bottom dollar it is bad. Would he lead you wrong? You betcha!

Date: August 26, 2015 03:50PM

Well, screw it then.

We're all going to die anyway.

I nurture my body, my soul, and I still enjoy sipping a diet Coke occasionally. (I enjoy coffee too, moreso during the cold winters, and cool mornings in the Northeast. In moderation.)

:P

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 04:24PM

But I do park on the outside edge of the parking lot. It seems safer and I can always find my car.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.