Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 03:09PM

The topic of yesterday's RadioWest program was on LDS missions. I found it interesting and thought I'd mention it for those who may have missed it.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/lds-missions

One of the guests, who regularly speaks with GAs, stated that the church believes that it loses 50% of its returned missionaries to inactivity within five years post mission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 03:38PM

... and this is why they are desperate to get their returned missionaries married in their Temples asap.

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:11PM

... and a couple of children,
... and no education.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 07:13PM by darkshadow.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:50PM

I believe the education level of active LDS members is bound to drop in middle and lower class families. Elite members who are wealthy will remain static.

The drop will be the result of the change in missionary ages coupled with the continued PUSH for young people to get married IMMEDIATELY after missions.

20 years old. Married. No education. Baby on the way.
21 years old. Married. No education. Baby in the oven.

What a recipe for failure.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 07:51PM

Unless your goal is indoctrinated, ignorant, and obedient.
Then it's a recipe for success! :(

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 10:43AM

It was an interesting show.

There was a fundamental contradiction in some of the ideas presented.

On the one hand, the guests were saying what a great vehicle LDS missions are for young people to develop an LDS identity that they own for themselves; and therefore "stay LDS." On the other hand, later on they are talking about how GA's are throwing around figures like 50% of RM's are inactive within 5 years of their mission.

Something about that didn't compute.

Perhaps, with the availability of information out there about LDS, Inc. people feel really burned upon finding out about the organization's lies after putting in so much effort, and probably enduring some "chastisement" from various arrogant LDS leaders.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:25PM

If 50% of RMs remain faithful (outwardly) and 50% leave mormonism, are there factors, traits, characteristics, indicators, etc., that when measured before the mission would allow an assessment to be made regarding that missionary's relationship with the church in seven years?

Of all the variables, what would it be about the parents that had the most input to the outcome? In other words, would there be something or somethings about a kid's parents that might be useful in determining the mission + five years outcome?

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:46PM

I don't completely agree with the upper classes will stay argument. I knew a few missionaries from prominent and wealthy families that ran, not walked, away. Of course a least one is gay (and was my greenie). She never wanted to be a missionary in the first place, but still. Anyway, not surprising about missionaries. I think missions are a big let down and they bring up the questions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.