Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 08:43PM

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36131980&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-4

"The Swindler family was swindled out of $800 of their hard-earned money about two months ago when a man who calls himself 'Fili' offered a good deal to lay some concrete and extend their driveway, Swindler said."

Well, at least that swindler didn't swindle the Swindlers out of 10% of their income for life. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 08:58PM

That's too funny.
Do they run an MLM when they're not getting swindled? ;-)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 12:11AM

A Utah Mormon family with the name "Swindler".....sounds like a self fulfilling prophesy!

RB

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 12:27PM

This man would have been a "traveler." We have a large "camp" (actually a gated community of very fine houses) close to me. There are two more communities, one in Indiana and one in White Settlement, TX. If swindled over a driveway, they were from the group in Texas. They go abroad in the summer, making money mostly by swindling on shoddy construction jobs and selling worthless home alarm systems and tool supplies. The go back home in autumn to join their families.

We also have a discount movie theatre near us, and that's where they take their many children for cheap entertainment. Once you know what to look for, they're easily recognizable. I listen for their odd accent. In the community they speak a kind of Gaelic-English patois called "The Cant." The Cant word for thief is "yonk," so that's what I call them when they show up at the door year after year. God, they hate that. They use the Cant as a sort of secret language and when you say "yonk" they sometimes go ballistic.

Date: August 25, 2015 01:34PM

"If swindled over a driveway, they were from the group in Texas."

Actually, I think they run that scam pretty much wherever they go. There are a lot of them in the Carolinas. Just google "Irish travelers" or "Scottish travelers."

http://www.fraudtech.org/travelers.htm

The creepiest thing about them is the way they sexualize their girls from age 10 or 12.

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 02:35PM

People get all pissy when you identify them as "Irish Travellers," but they are. With some people on line it's as if you used the N-word.
They may exist in other groups, but I only know of three large ones. Each site has its own specialty. That is weird about sexualizing their young girls. Every time they're investigated, no one knows nothin' and they all clear off.

Posted by: Just passing through ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 02:51PM

I work in a field where they come to me with ID's in hand. I've seen their real names.

They're all the same. I finally found out why.

When the police show up looking for "Michael Sherlock" they get pointed in 15 directions. All Michael Sherlock. Meanwhile, they one they really want is hiding in the back of a cargo van, on his way to where ever until the heat dies down.

Date: August 28, 2015 08:07PM

"People get all pissy when you identify them as "Irish Travellers," but they are. With some people on line it's as if you used the N-word."

I don't know why anyone would object to that term. Irish travelers/Scottish travelers is what I've heard those groups called for 25-30 years. That's what they *are*. They're Irish/Scottish clans who travel doing shoddy work or outright scamming people.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 02:05PM

..."Hello!!...Mr. and Mrs. Swindler here!! We're your new Home Teachers and we're here to help reactivate you! Oh, by the way, you could you spot me a twenty?.........we forgot to stop by the liquor store before we came by..............THANKS!!!! We'll be sure to put in a good word for you with the Bishop, AND the Ward!!

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 11:57PM

I recommend the Salt Lake firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe. ;)

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 28, 2015 08:13PM

I wonder if they know "Swindle" from the original "Transformers"??!!

Swindle (G1)

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Swindle_%28G1%29

Swindle (Transformers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindle_(Transformers)

They could always go into business together....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.