Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 9867453 ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:22PM

I remember getting into a lot of fight with my significant other over the whole "polygamy", thing. The church obviously told me they don't practice anymore- EXCEPT IN THE AFTERLIFE.

Wait.. WHAT?!

I remember vividly having a conversation with my mother in law about how our husbands may have to take on women in the "afterlife" that had not been sealed or married while on earth. She had said that now, living her life, she couldn't imagine sharing her husband, but if God commanded it she would do it. She also went on to say that in the "afterlife" jealous would not exist so us women would gladly except out husband's other wives into the picture.

Anyone else ever heard this theory?

This one really bugged me bad. I don't believe in polygamy, though to each their own I guess. I couldn't fathom the idea of heaven meaning to share my husband with some other woman. How miserable.

Any why can women not have multiple husbands? I always got the stupid answer that there were more worthy women than men. SERIOUSLY? No. It sounds sexist to me.

Just my thoughts..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:31PM

As Mormonism is a racist cult, so it is also a sexist cult.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:39PM

Exodus 20:5
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I THE LORD THY GOD AM A JEALOUS GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me." {emphasis added}

I suppose she could claim that verse wasn't translated correctly. Really, it is just another Morgbot attempt at dealing with cog dis.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:39PM

When the mormon men tell that story to each other (and they do), it's not "may have to take on women."

It's "dude, we'll have our pick of women!"

:)

Posted by: 9867453 ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:45PM

Oh yea, of course they are!

but they forget that us women come with emotions and needs.. which out weight the "benefits" of having multiple wives.

Anyone ever watch Sister Wives?

That poor guy. I can't imagine dealing with that many women romantically

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:01PM

"Anyone ever watch Sister Wives?

"That poor guy. I can't imagine dealing with that many women romantically"

I can't imagine dealing with any of *those* women romantically, either singularly or plurally. :-)

Posted by: anonforthisexmorm ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:24PM

Agreed, but then again, I can't imagine having him as a husband, either. Ugh.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:41PM

Don't think linearly.

Men and women have the whole of all humanity to choose from.

Remember we all knew each other in the pre existence.

I could havd a wife that died before the flood. Another that walked the earth with Christ and yet another that won't be born until 100 years after I die.

Maybe 20 Lamanite women living in the depths of the Amazon are meant for me in the here after.

Either way I call dibs on Cleopatra, all of them!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:44PM

I had a bishop, I had confessed to, go off about how men would get seven wives in Heaven. I think this creep would have taken me as a plural wife if the church allowed it.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:01PM

I don't believe polygamy exists in the next life. I think Christ was asked that question or one close to it. He was asked about the woman who had seven husbands, and which one would have her in the resurrection? Christ said none. Also in another example, when asked about marriage and divorce, He said that divorce did not exist in the beginning, but was allowed after Moses because of sin. He never said anything about polygamy or other types of multiple mates for women or for men in the next life. His silence on polygamy is indicative, it doesn't exist. Also on another occasion when the rich man asked him, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? Christ went down the list of 10 commandments including do not commit adultery or anything like unto it. Since this life is to prepare us for eternal life, if polygamy was the order of heaven then why wasn't it appointed as the system in the scriptures? King David did have multiple wives but the Lord was not pleased. King Solomon was nuts in marrying every woman who was a princess or royalty from around the world because he wanted world domination. The Lord was not pleased.

Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham. That was not God's doing. That means Abraham committed adultery. Jacob got hood winked and thought he was marrying Rachel, but got stuck marrying her oldest sister first. So the con was on.

I'm not sure how the Muslims rationalize marrying four women but polygamy is common in the Middle East and with El Chapo, the Mexican drug lord.

I personally do not believe in polygamy, so if that is the system in CK, I am content to go to terrestrial kingdom. CK just wouldn't be heaven you me. I think heaven is so amazing it can not be imagined. I think Paul says, eye hath not seen, ear hath not heard, etc., etc., what awaits those in the next life who love the Lord. There are millions of men who have died in battle. There are billions of babies who have died young. Everyone will be given a chance for happiness.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 09:04PM

The idea of polygamy in the afterlife is what started my exit. I was wondering what was my reward for enduring to the end. To be someone's 385th wife? (I'm single).

The thought further occurred to me was, I don't share toothbrushes, I don't share douche bags, and I certainly do not share men!

It was downhill from there.

Other Susan

Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 09:18PM

Do Mormons still believe that polygamy will be continued in the next life?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 10:07PM

whiteandelightsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do Mormons still believe that polygamy will be
> continued in the next life?

Yes, they do. To do otherwise is to deny their foundational scriptures.

Of course, the official Newsroom will deny it and declare that it is the members' fault for not understanding the scriptures properly.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 11:08AM

whiteandelightsome Wrote:
> Do Mormons still believe that polygamy will be continued in the next life?

Most Mormons today consider polygamy a practice relegated to history, they are quick to point out that polygamy was banned over one hundred years ago and is now an excommunicable offense.

However, attempts to disavow polygamy are disingenuous as the scripture commanding polygamy as an eternal doctrine (D&C 132) remains as canonized church doctrine.

Polygamy is still practiced in the sense that a man who remarries after the death of his wife can be sealed to his new wife and expect to live with both women in heaven.

Joseph Fielding Smith, tenth president of the church (1970-1972) married Louise E. Shurtleff in 1898. She died in 1908. In 1908 he married Ethel G. Reynolds, who died in 1937. In 1938 he married Jessie Evans, who died in 1971. He was sealed "for eternity" to each of those women. Now, paraphrasing what the Pharisees asked Jesus: Which woman will be Smith's wife in the celestial kingdom? According to Mormon doctrine, ALL THREE will be his wives. Smith confirmed "...my wives will be mine in eternity.” (Doctrines of Salvation, vol 2, pg 67.)

Isn't that polygamy?

Harold B. Lee, the 11th president of the church, also remarried after his wife's death and anticipated his reunion with both women in poetry:

"My lovely Joan was sent to me:
So Joan joins Fern
That three might be, more fitted for eternity.
'O Heavenly Father, my thanks to thee' "
(Deseret News 1974 Church Almanac, page 17)

Additional examples include Howard W. Hunter, the 14th church president, who married Clara May Jeffs in 1931. She died in 1983. He then married Inis Bernice Egan in 1990. Both were sealed to him for time and eternity. Hunter died in 1995, having stated that he was looking forward to being reunited with his two wives in heaven.

Mormon Apostle Dallin Oaks, speaking at a BYU devotional, Jan 29, 2002:

"When I was 66, my wife June died of cancer. Two years later--a year
and a half ago--I married Kristen McMain, the eternal companion who
now stands at my side. Now, single sisters, I have an expert witness to invite to the stand
at this time. It is my wife, Kristen, who, as an adult, was single for
about 35 years before we married."

In April 2006, Church Apostle Russell M. Nelson married for a second time. His first wife had passed away the previous year. Both his first and second marriage were “solemnized” in an LDS Temple ceremony ( which doesn't necessarily mean that he will spend eternity married to both women, since marriages "for time only" are also solemnized in temples, if the woman is sealed "for eternity" to a deceased husband, for example).

And certainly no Mormon would assert that Brigham Young and the early Mormons who were sealed in life "for time and all eternity" to multiple wives will not be with those wives in a married state in the celestial kingdom.

The Church Handbook of Instructions states that a man may be sealed for eternity to more than one woman, if the first wife dies or there is a divorce. He needs permission from the First Presidency to do so. A woman, however, if widowed or divorced from the man she was sealed to, cannot be sealed to a different man unless she obtains a "cancellation of sealing" from the First Presidency; i.e., she cannot be sealed to more than one man.

In doing sealings for deceased persons, a deceased woman who had more than one husband (due to death or divorce) and was sealed in life to none of them, may be sealed by proxy to all of them, but she will have to select the one for whom she will accept the sealing, since a woman can be sealed to one man only.

Clearly, there will be polygamy in the CK. My two Mormon brothers are also sealed each to two wives for eternity.

The Mormons lie about it. Richard Hinckley, spokesman for the church, on a BBC show about Mormonism, responded to the question whether there would be polygamy in heaven, "We don't know." This in spite of the fact that two apostles of the church are celestial polygamists. And does he think that all of Brigham Young's 55 wives who were sealed to him for eternity are not going to be his wives in the CK?

Now, whether it will be REQUIRED that everyone in the CK be polygamous is another question, and that is not as clear. D&C 132 does say, however, that anyone who has received the law of plural marriage is required to follow it. And D&C 131:2 says that to enter the CK a man must "enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]." That was originally taken to mean plural marriage, but the church now interprets it to mean simply being sealed for eternity to one woman.

As to spiritual offspring, D&C 131:4 implies that those in the CK will have "increase." Since they will be gods, like God the Father, who is the father of our spirits, that seems to mean that the next generation of gods in the CK will also be producing spirit children to inhabit the worlds that they create. But as to the actual process of how those spirit children will be created, I am not aware of any statement by any Mormon leader or scripture that says anything about it. Many exmormons and critics of Mormonism assume, since we (as spirits) were produced by a heavenly father AND a heavenly mother, that it will be similar to earthly pregnancies. That would seem to me unlikely and not necessarily implied. It would make more sense (if any of it makes sense!) to be a completely different reproductive process, not at all like human reproduction. After all, remember that heavenly father and mother have physical bodies, and yet they are producing spirits, not bodies.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 08:36AM

Mormon men can be sequentially sealed to multiple women in this lifetime; they can't practice polygamy in the flesh but it's clearly understood that there will be a menage-a-many in the CK for them.

The doctrine about men getting extra wives posthumously has never been revoked, but I'd bet it's not currently taught either, so TSCC has plausible deniability and can pass it off as member folklore and speculation.

Mormon women are experts at not thinking about the implications of this doctrine or rationalizing that they will be the exceptions to the rule in the hereafter. One TBM friend recently did a social media post after her church history tour; she acknowledged early polygamy and had no problem with it ("whatever worked for them"), but made it clear there was no way she would share her own husband EVER.

The cog dis is fascinating.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 10:45AM

I am not understanding how polygamy will be pushed on people in the next life who don't want it. Doesn'T God honor free agency not to engage in that practice?

Posted by: throckmorton.p.guildersleeve ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 10:58AM

Ok, lets look at this from the perspective that you are dead and are in Mormon heaven. Suppose a husband wants to practice polyg in the celestial kingdom and the wife doesn't? The wife, as a woman HAS to be sealed to a man to be in the highest level of the CK (which is the ultimate reward and the only reason a good Mormon even exists). The husband can just take other wives as he sees fit. You can leave him and hope there is a man willing to give up his harem just to be with you, or you can be in a lesser kingdom. Those are your options. You still have free will. You can be in the CK with your kids or you cant, that's your choice. God doesn't force you into doing whats right, and whats right in this case to a Mormon is for your husband to be able to bone other women for eternity.

Posted by: bfp ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 11:58AM

Option 3) Be destroyed. I believe that's what Horny Joe told Emma as indicated in section 132, which I have pasted below. By the way, it appears that Joseph Smith is indicating that he if finds out that any of his chosen wife's are not virgins, they will be destroyed. Lol. What laughable disgusting person ol' Joe was.

52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 11:50AM

The numbers don't add up.

The population is made up roughly 50% male, 50% female.

If every male got two females in the CK, the population ratio would need to be about 1/3 men 2/3 women. It gets worse the more wives a male has.

The Muslim thing of 70 virgins for someone dying for their religion would require a ratio of about 1-1/2 males for 98-1/2 females.

The only solution is that females gets as many males as males get females.

It's gets more complicated if you want to figure in those that are attracted to same sex relationships

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 12, 2015 01:51PM

Why do humans (we) need that shift in the 'afterlife'?

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 02:11AM

Wow! Seriously 986753, are you me?? I was taught the exact same thing with regard to polygamy and the afterlife by my mother who was and still is a very 'righteous LDS woman'. At 8 years of age I also wondered the same thing about why women couldn't have more than 1 husband. I remember asking my Sunday school teacher, an elderly spinster with a rather unfortunate physical disability, why men could have more than 1 wife, but women couldn't have more than 1 husband? I said it didn't seem fair to me. You would have thought I had grown horns right then and there for the way she looked at me. Her response, as near as I can remember it, was "Because they can't. You will understand when you grow up." Poor lady, couldn't even get a husband in THIS life and here I was asking about multiple husbands… I didn't like her as a kid, but I can certainly sympathize with her feelings now.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 06:29PM

Does celestial polygamy enhance the spiritual standing and exaltation of priesthood holder? It would seem to me that a man with lots of eternal companions would be able to populate a much larger planet (world, solar system, whatever) than a man with just a few, or only one.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 04:50AM

Exactly. That is why, in this dispensation, JS will receive more goddess wives than the rest of us.

My poor ex-wife. Instead of being my first goddess wife in the CK, she will now be assigned to another. If she gets a former GA, she will likely be wife no. 1000 or whatever.

Therefore, you are right. It seems to exalt the man unless all goddess sister wives are lesbian and only accommodate their god of a husband very rarely for procreative purposes.

Good thing it is all made up nonsense.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 02:17AM

We were told that death would give us a better perspective and greater wisdom to accept polygamy and understand all of the other "ways of God."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 06:32PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> "ways of God."

Eviler words were never spoken...

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 08:19PM

Gag. Just when I thought I've heard nearly everything revolting about Mormonism/polygamy...

HB Lee wrote prophet polygamy poetry? Ick. His children must have LOVED that poem about their second mommy joining their first mommy, with their dad in the CK. =[

Dallin Oaks parading his second eternal companion in the mtg as a "witness" that you, too could catch a righteous, second hand he-man like me if you play your cards right (are a lonely, ostracized virgin for 35 adult years, who sacrificed not having children, praying and pining away, hoping to marry a widower General authority...) Just hang in there, and you could win the elderly priesthood lottery! Bam! You're welcome wife number 2!

Of all the arrogant, self serving, misogynistic BS statements from nit-wit Mormon leaders, that must be in the top ten. I hope there is a Mormon heaven, and Joseph Smith decides to take all their wives for himself, you know, since that's what he did best.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:34AM

Even though I was raised knowing my dad would have two wives in the CK (first wife died fairly young and it was the first and only marriage for his second wife), the thought of polygamy pretty much made me feel sick.

Date: August 15, 2015 02:15AM

Let's cut to the chase on Mormon Theology.

Men can become gods in the afterlife. I have been so ordained through my Second Anointing.

A god becomes a 'Father in Heaven'. Now taking Elohim as an example of our eternal future. 100 billion of his children have already been born on the earth. A third of his children will not get a body, therefore 150 billion children as a minimum. That does not take account of his children on other planets.

We have been taught the only way of begetting children (spirit or physical) is by sexual intercourse.

My point is that for a man (God, Father) to sire 150 billion children or more, he will need numerous wives. Just compare the time it takes to impregnate, compared with (9 months for us earthlings) gestation period. Even assuming immediate fertility instead of the gamble on earth, that is a whole lot of children, needing a multitude of mothers.

Yes, I know it is all made up nonsense but this is actually in their sacred scriptures and talks by their 'Special Witness' 'I talk to God' so called prophets and apostles.

Posted by: Interested Observer ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 04:56AM

caffiend
"Can you source this, or is this one of those "folk Mormon" things that has been widely believed, but which LDS authorities would now say, "I don't know that we ever taught that." (Harumph!)

Brigham Young taught: “The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood---was begotten of his Father as we were of our fathers” (Journal of discourses vol.8, p.115);

Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “The birth of the Savior was a natural occurrence unattended by any degree of mysticism, and the Father God was the literal parent of Jesus in the flesh as well as in the spirit” (Religious Truths Defined, p.44).

Bruce McConkie (LDS apostle) states: “Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers” (Mormon doctrine, p. 547, 1979).

Ezra Taft Benson LDS Prophet from 1985-1994 taught “The Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints proclaims that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in the most literal sense. The body in which He performed his mission in the flesh was sired by that same Holy being we worship as God our eternal Father”

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 02:42AM

How do we know that spirit children will be generated through sexual intercourse? There's a bit of a disconnect here: glorified physical bodies (god-men & heavenly mothers) begetting non-material spirit children who, only later, get physical bodies on planet(s).

So it would seem to me that the process of celestial reproduction would have to be something that is not sexual, at least, as we know sex.

You stated, above, "We have been taught the only way of begetting children (spirit or physical) is by sexual intercourse." Can you source this, or is this one of those "folk Mormon" things that has been widely believed, but which LDS authorities would now say, "I don't know that we ever taught that." (Harumph!)

I asked a question above, and would appreciate your answer and/or other thoughts. It seems to me that more celestial wives = a greater degree of exaltation. I was just reading in Quinn's book "Extensions of Power" how more wives were sealed to JS AFTER his death. Was this done to advance those poor, spiritually hapless women, or to further "exalt" and "sustain" the prophet?

Date: August 15, 2015 04:42AM

Here are some quoted sources but, take care, Mormonism is full of conflicting doctrines. Certainly my clear understanding from the Brethren was that we were all the begotten spirit children of our HF, begotten after the manner of the flesh (sexual intercourse between God and one of his goddess wives). The difference between us and Jesus Christ was he was also begotten through sexual intercourse between God and Mary.

The actual GC quote I was looking for seems to have been removed because it does not come up on a search. But that is to be expected of such a truthful church.

Encyclopedia of Mormonism:

When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it. The Saviour was begotten by the Father of His spirit, by the same Being who is the Father of our spirits, and that is all the organic difference between Jesus Christ and you and me (BY, JD 4:218)

This four-volume set is a treasure for Mormons. It contains numerous statements and teachings from LDS scholars and General Authorities. And it is sold in most LDS bookstores.

For the Latter-day Saints, the paternity of Jesus is not obscure. He was the literal, biological son of an immortal, tangible Father and Mary, a mortal woman... Jesus is the only person born who deserves the title "the Only Begotten Son of God. . . .(under the subject title: Jesus Christ, emphasis added).

Latter-day Saints recognize Jesus as literally the Only Begotten Son of God the Father in the flesh... This title signifies that Jesus' physical body was the offspring of a mortal mother and the eternal Father. . . . It is LDS doctrine that Jesus Christ is the child of Mary and God the Father, "not in violation of natural law but in accordance with a higher manifestation thereof (ibid., emphasis added).

From another source:-

In LDS theology, we were all spirit children procreated by sexual relations between the Father and His wives in heaven before coming to earth. After which we were then sent to earth to receive bodies. However, the Mormons assert, Jesus was not only the firstborn spirit child, (His brother Lucifer being the second) but He was also the only physical offspring on earth, of Mary and God the Father. This is why Mormons refer to Jesus as "the Only Begotten in the flesh."

From Orson Pratt (apostle):-

LDS Apostle Orson Pratt:

it was the personage of the Father who begat the body of Jesus; and for this reason Jesus is called the Only-Begotten of the Father; that is, the only one in this world whose fleshly body was begotten by the Father. There were millions of sons and daughters whom He begat before the foundation of the world, but they were spirits, and not bodies of flesh and bones; whereas both the spirit and body of Jesus were begotten by the Father... The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father. . . .

He had a lawful right to over- shadow the Virgin Mary in the capacity of a husband, and beget a Son, although she was espoused to another; for the law which He gave to govern men and women was not intended to govern Himself, or to prescribe rules for his own conduct. It was also lawful in Him, after having thus dealt with Mary, to give Mary to Joseph her espoused husband. Whether God the Father gave Mary to Joseph for time only, or for time and eternity, we are not informed. Inasmuch as God was the first husband to her, it may be that He only gave her to be the wife of Joseph while in this mortal state, and that He intended after the resurrection to again take her as one of his own wives to raise up immortal spirits in eternity (Orson Pratt, The Seer, 158; emphasis added).

LDS Apostle Heber Kimball:

I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my Saviour Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it" (JD, 8:211; emphasis added).

Tenth President of the LDS Church, Joseph Fielding Smith:

THE FIRSTBORN. Our Father in heaven is the Father of Jesus Christ, both in the spirit and in the flesh. . . . CHRIST NOT BEGOTTEN OF THE HOLY GHOST. I believe firmly that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. He taught this doctrine to his disciples. He did not teach them that He was the Son of the Holy Ghost, but the Son of the Father... Christ was begotten of God. He was not born without the aid of Man, and that Man was God!" (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:18; emphasis added; caps. theirs).

LDS Apostle, scholar and prolific writer, Bruce R. McConkie:

These name-titles all signify that our Lord is the only Son of the Father in the flesh. Each of the words is to be understood literally. Only means only; Begotten means begotten; and Son means son. Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers (Mormon Doctrine, 546-47; emphasis added).

Begotten in the same way as mortal men? In this same book McConkie declares:

God the Father is a perfected, glorified holy Man, an immortal Personage. And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events, for he is the Son of God, and that designation means what it says (742)

In his book: The Mortal Messiah, McConkie utilizes the same term Talmage uses: "Sire." McConkie writes:

She [Mary] shall conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and God himself shall be the sire. It is his Son of whom Gabriel is speaking. A son is begotten by a father: whether on earth or in heaven it is the same (1:319; emphasis added)

Family Home Evenings:

The Mormon Church also provides publications designed for the family. One such publication is: Family Home Evenings, copyrighted by the Corporation President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This booklet clearly represents the LDS view:

We must come down to the simple fact that God Almighty was the Father of His Son Jesus Christ. Mary, the virgin girl, who had never known mortal man, was his mother. God by her begot his Son Jesus Christ, and he was born into the world with power and intelligence like that of His Father... Now, my little friends, I will repeat again in words as simple as I can, and you talk to your parents about it, that God, the Eternal Father, is literally the father of Jesus Christ (125-126; 1972 ed. emphasis added).
Following this statement there is some pictorial artwork to help explain this doctrine to children. A figure of a man is drawn and under the man the title "Daddy" is placed and next to him a drawing of a woman with the title "Mommy" underneath. In between the figures "Daddy" and "Mommy" there is a + sign. From these two figures, pointing down, there are two arrows pointing to a drawing of a child with the title "You" underneath. Obviously, this diagram teaches children how they are conceived. Right below this diagram, there is another drawing. It's the same diagram but the titles are changed. The title "Our Heavenly Father" is in place of the "Daddy" and the title "Mary" are in place of the "Mommy." And guess who is in the place of the child figure titled "You?"----you got it-- "Jesus."

•“We believe absolutely that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, begotten of God, the first-born in the spirit and the only begotten in the flesh; that He is the Son of God just as much as you and I are the sons of our fathers” (Heber J. Grant, “Analysis of the Articles of Faith,” Millennial Star, 5 Jan. 1922, 2).

However, TSCC now tries to distance itself from its official teachings, as contained in their scriptures and taught by their prophets. Now they teach a different version of "begotten" on https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/begotten

To be born. To beget is to give birth, to procreate, or to call into being. In the scriptures, these words are often used to mean being born of God. Although Jesus Christ is the only child begotten of the Father in mortality, all people may be spiritually begotten of Christ by accepting him, obeying his commandments, and becoming new persons through the power of the Holy Ghost.

The same site confirms the first line above re "procreate" and being literal sons and daughters https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/sons-and-daughters-of-god?lang=eng

SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF GOD
See also Atone, Atonement; Begotten; Born Again, Born of God; Children of Christ; Man, Men
The scriptures use these terms in two ways. In one sense, we are all literal spirit children of our Heavenly Father. In another sense, God’s sons and daughters are those who have been born again through the atonement of Christ.

Most apologists try to deny the literal begetting (sexual intercourse) but this one actually likes the idea:-

I will confess, however, that I actually like this idea. Maybe it is because I have a streak of old fashioned Mormonism somewhere inside me. But I find it appealing on several levels. First, there is a certain naturalism to the idea. I presume the mortal Jesus had 46 chromosomes, and that 23 came from Mary, but where did the other 23 come from? As a Mormon, I’m not big on the idea that they were created ex nihilo for this specific purpose. I like being able to say that Jesus really did have a father, not in a metaphorical sense only (the language of begetting in the creeds doesn’t mean literal begetting), but in a physical sense. He really was the Son of God.

I also find it fascinating that people see this idea as being so totally offensive. To me, that speaks not only to our radically different conception of God and man as being of the same species, our literalist notion of divine paternalism and our radical materialism, but also to our Puritan heritage. If it is so disgusting to suggest God sired a son by sexual intercourse, why, I wonder, did God ordain that to be the natural method by which we conceive our own children? Is that just some sort of a cosmic joke? Does God sit in yonder heavens and look down on his creatures and laugh at their disgusting and dirty and ridiculous actions? Isn’t it possible that, if God ordained sexual intercourse as the means by which we create children, that it is divinely appointed and not disgusting or dirty at all?

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2005/03/the-sexual-generation-of-jesus/

God the Father is a perfected, glorified, holy Man, an immortal Personage. And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events, for he is the Son of God, and that designation means what it says. (1 Ne. 11.) (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p.742 “Son Of God"

God the Father has a body of flesh and bones, (Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22); God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, (Mormon Doctrine p. 516); We were first begotten as spirit children in heaven and then born naturally on earth, (Journal of Discourse, Vol. 4, p. 218).

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 10:17AM

The "Encyclopedia of Mormonism" is also available online:

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Encyclopedia_of_Mormonism

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 09:11AM

My nevermo head hurts.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 09:30AM

Whether having sex or just reading PlayGod in the bathroom, every time ghawd climaxes, a couple of hundred thousand Celestial spermatoza (with wings and lunch box, set off to find one of his wives, in order to do its duty.

That a ghawd's sperm is winged and semi-sentient was revealed to me by an angel in disguise, which is not to be confused with an angel of the morning.

Posted by: raider ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 09:46AM

Why would anybody in their right mind sign up for tag team nagging

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:05PM

"Why would anybody in their right mind sign up for tag team nagging"

I dunno. Maybe it's because the arrangement might also include tag team shagging. :-)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 10:31AM

Men figured out a way to manipulate women for more sex by convincing the women that God was in on it.

Men (in general) are wired for variety sexually.

Solution? Convince people that God validated the idea and let the fantasy (and reality when they can get away with it) run wild.

Oh, and while we're at it, we can add Power to the wish list of what men will have in the afterlife. Whole planets even to go with their eternal offspring. Hell, make them gods. Yeah, that's the ticket.

People are so credulous.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 12:14PM

My ex told me that faithful unmarried women that are not sealed to faithful priesthood holders will still go to the CK where they will be servants. She is still sealed to her first husband. I was her third but no temple married. Her first husband is on his fifth marriage. He married three of them in the temple. All are still alive. My ex is still sealed to him even though he has remarried in the temple to another woman. She just told me this about a month ago. He bishop told her not to go after unsealing to him until and if she gets married again in the temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.