Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 12:55AM

Two former Utah attorneys general, Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow, were indicted on multiple counts of bribery, tampering with evidence and obstructing justice. Prosecutors allege that Shurtleff and Swallow accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments and gifts from individuals under investigation or seeking favors. They could each face up to 30 years in prison.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58185969-78/swallow-shurtleff-utah-general.html.csp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 12:58AM by Shummy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 01:00AM

In the bigger picture, as we witness this cauldron of corruption, how can anyone believe that LDS Inc has not had everything embezzled, bribed, pocketed, or secretly handed out in shareholder dividends?

Since Utah is arguably a theocracy, all LDS financial books should be opened for scrutiny before one more dollar of federal money enters the state.

Date: August 11, 2015 01:00AM

Ooops.

Old news folks, sorry.

"This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 01:27AM

I know some of the charges have been dismissed but some are going forward against both men.

I don't have the time or really the inkling to look deeply into this one; it was clear from the start that Swallow was in up to his eyeballs, and it's looking to me like the crap began under Shurtleff (who, incidentally, dragged his heels on prosecuting some polygamist cases after loudly announcing he would move forward against "child bride cases").

Here's one that brings Jeremy Johnson into the equation; he's a piece of work...

http://fox13now.com/2015/07/22/witness-in-swallowshurtleff-cases-wont-be-his-own-lawyer-after-all/

A bit more on whether the Feds should get involved. Sim Gill is an honest citizen in my book... I know nothing about the Davis County attorney, Troy Rawlings...

http://kutv.com/news/local/local-prosecutors-feds-should-get-out-of-way-or-take-over-ag-cases

I'm due for lunch with Will Bagley's equally dastardly younger brother, Pat, and I know he's up-to-speed on what's going down right now. I'll try to bring a return-and-report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 01:28AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 01:37AM

The biggest question I have is, did they pay tithing? ;)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 02:09AM

I certainly hope that mighty Mark "big bear" Shurtleff gets to do some jail / prison time over his corrupt indulgences. It will do him some good, and it will do me even more good to see it happen.

When I was having legal troubles of my own with the state of Utah, I pleaded with Mark to intervene. As a last resort, after complaining to other lower law enforcement officials. I sent documents to mighty Mark that absolutely indesputably showed how a law enforcement officer who was the major cause of the problem had Lied /perjured himself in a sworn statement relative to my situation. Big Mark just could not be bothered with my paltry little legal predicament. Big shot State AG Mark was too busy looking good, being important and taking care of concerns of other big shots in the zion Utah community, working his way up ...... to big Mark's current "state" of affairs.

So UN like Mark in his current legal predicament, I had not broken the law before I ended up in legal trouble.

I hope that Mark does do some serious prison time. IF he does go to prison then I am going to request a visit with him at the prison. I will be presenting those same legal documents to him for a second time. In prison, Big Mark will have a lot more time for doing things like reviewing my documents and giving them some consideration. That, however belated, might even be sweeter than IF Mark had managed to do something for me in the first place.

Good Luck, Big Mark. And I mean good luck for me, not for you, as I hope that good luck will mean the utter delight of seeing you go to prison, because Good luck for me just seems to get better every day as I see you getting closer to going to prison.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Utah+corruption+

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 04:27AM

So does he lose his temple rec? What a piece of crap. These guys co-own private islands... The greed knows no bounds.

I just heard a podcast of a former Mormon who worked at Deseret Book, married with children, making abysmal wages, like 50 other Mormons there. He said their wives were signed up with WIC to help feed their children...

The corruption in Utah is becoming obvious. I hope these clowns do extended time in prison, although it will probably be a comfy federal prison, where they can take the sacrament...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 06:55AM

Remember that John Singletary from Virginia moved to Massachusetts and took the name Dunham (in the 18th century), and is an ancestor of Obama.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:04AM

From a bistro on a smart phone while you're $#!% faced.

And be sure to call a taxi rather than drive when you leave...

Rather than try to explain to the sober ones here what the relevance of this one is, I suggest you read it in the morning when you're sober.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:11AM

On the bright side, this could have been responsible for making same sex marriage legal in Utah immediately after judge Robert Shelby's ruling. The Utah AG office neglected to file an intent to appeal notice with the court, so Shelby made his ruling effective immediately. I think the office was distracted because their boss was about to be indicted.

Date: August 11, 2015 11:17AM

Thanx Cabbie.

[honk]

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 03:04PM

I didn't see anything in the article which said these guys are Mormons.

Did I miss it?

Date: August 11, 2015 07:56PM

What Cabbie said my friend.

Hizzoner Shirtless served under jocular Jon Huntsman.

Cabster knows Utard politics from years driving the streets of SL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 08:02PM by Shummy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.