Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:04AM

Wow that part about Gordon B hinckley was really eye opening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:33AM

. . . And it's also not true. They are talking about a different Hinckley.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:04AM

You mean the God Makers 2, the part about gay orgies and black prostitutes or whatever? Most likely untrue.

It's interesting to speculate how Hinckley would have handled any extramarital urges. After about 1990, when he turned 80, I don't think it would have been an issue. But before then, you had a very powerful man, managing enormous wealth, who thought that rules were for everyone but him. And he was traveling most of the time...

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:12AM

What motive would they have to make those accusations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 02:12AM by heat27.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:51AM

The same motive the bishop has to accuse you of adultery when you lose your testimony.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 03:26AM

"The God Makers" is complete crap.

Unfortunately, my first introduction to anti-Mormon literature was a lot of this $hit produced by Evangelical Christians - people who were just as crazy as the MORmONS. Such works actually gave credibility to the idea that the anti's were simply liars who were seeking to oppose the true work of Ghawd.

I didn't realize until years later that there are actually two categories of "anti" literature. The first category is the crap like "The God Makers" which is very sensationalist and riddled with inaccuracies and outright lies. The second category is comprised of well researched volumes that are extensively documented such as Fawn Brodie's book.

I wish that I had been introduced to the second category before the first.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:17AM

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:26AM

Strength in the Loins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The God Makers" is complete crap.
>
> I didn't realize until years later that there are
> actually two categories of "anti" literature.
>
> I wish that I had been introduced to the second
> category before the first.

Make that 2 of us.

Sensationalist bollocks from the God Makers helped inoculate me against honest, factual, and well researched pro-truth information.

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 03:40PM

Me too! If it weren't for Ed Decker and the Godmakers, I probably would not have returned like the prodigal son at 17 years old, after 6 months away from the Morg. Bummer! Seeing something like Fawn Brody's book could have saved me about 19 years of crazy-making, not to mention all that tithing I paid! Shame on you, Mr. Decker!!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 08:28PM

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:27AM

Due to Decker, I stayed in the church about 20 years longer than I would have otherwise. Mainly this is due to his sensationalism, distortion and blatant dishonesty. In my tbm mind, I associated all "antimormons" with this style and thought other "anti s" were in the same category - reporting to satan himself. Due to my priesthood and being "elect" in the preexistence, I could clearly see the deception, I was too arrogant to realize that it wasn't due to my superior knowledge or position, it was just pretty much garbage that decker put out to be consumed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 10:23PM by orthus.

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:00PM

To combat the inaccuracies and over sensationalism of The Godmakers is why this video was made to show members and non-members whay the church isn't what it claims to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac_fLUHiBw&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 04:58PM

I'm with everybody who saw it as BS and I stayed longer as a result. Had I found legitimate history at that time it would have saved my older kids from primary.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 05:49PM

I just watched this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqaSlJsW9-c

Somewhere in the middle, they are lauding Ed Decker and his film; they actually claim that the movie caused TSCC to change the temple ceremonies in 1990.

I hold greater contempt for fundamentalist Christian extremists more than TSCC and their mentioning Decker in a positive light ruined what I thought was an informative discussion.

Posted by: AlmostGone1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 06:30PM

Just an FYI. The community water well by his old residence was named ExMormons For Jesus Well.

It was recently renamed by petition of a group of mormons in the area.

Kind of funny trivia.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 08:37PM

My first experience with anti material was a copy of the god makers that I found in my SP's desk-otherwise known as dad.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:06PM

Years ago. That should tell you something. And what Orthus says about about how Decker's crapola kept him in the church a lot longer than would've happened otherwise has been a common complaint by many.

I don't know for certain that he's a secret high level operative for the Strengthening the Members Committee, but he might be...

(Do I really need a smiley face for that one?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 07:51PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 03:55PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.