Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KrisR ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:01PM

If so, why are they still going to Woodbadge? My friend is leaving for Woodbadge today. She's LDS. I haven't talked to her about the whole rumors of the LDS doing their own thing and not under BSA. I don't really talk to her about the church anymore because we can stay good friends when that subject is not brought up. ;) Is anyone in the know about where that whole issue is going?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:11PM

All they have said so far is that they are considering their options. It will be interesting to see what they do.

They strike me as being like a little kid throwing a tantrum - if I don't get my way, I'll take my ball and go home!

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:23PM

My ward hasn't pulled out yet. Today they announced that it's fair time and time for our ward's big youth/BSA fundraiser. If the morg gets out of the BSA here in the Magic Valley, the Snake River BSA council will lose 87% of it's troops! That's a huge ouch for the BSA!!

I think they are treading carefully right now. Maybe playing it by ear!?.? I haven't heard anything at all during Sacrament or Priesthood.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:30PM

They needed to get out of Scouting a long time ago. It is long past it's usefulness in the LDS Church.

Posted by: KrisR ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:23AM

Do you think Mormons who really like the Boy Scout program would just stop going? Maybe there will be an influx in the community troops? I think people who are gung-ho about Boy Scouts would be ready to just give up- especially if they were close to earning their Eagles?
I don't know. I think it is like nonamekid says- throwing a tantrum and taking their ball and going home.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:22AM

Many catholic priests should have pulled out of some alter boys.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:39AM

I was going to make the same pun...only regarding some mormon church scout leaders :)

Posted by: freewill ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:24AM

No more scout callings...the church is true!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:29AM

They will most likely end the relationship at the end of the year and start fresh with a revised Duty to God program starting January 1st Worldwide.

New manuals. The major projects will come back for each quorum and the large final project (akin to the Eagle Project) will return to the Priest Quorum manual for the final step.

The church has this in place in ALL parts of the world including the USA.

Jeff Holland took the vote very personally. He asked for a delay and the BSA refused. That one event will be the straw that broke the LDS Camel's back. You don't tell an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ no when he asks for a favor...

Kind of like the Don in the Godfather. He never asks for another favor once a favor has been refused.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:52AM

What will happen with morg Boy Scouts that want to still be Boy Scouts??? Will they go into non morg troops and actually have to earn their merit badges etc...for Eagle?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 07:54AM

Will there be sufficient non-LDS troops in the Morridor to handle the influx of refugees?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 08:06AM

BSA would be able to sell its assets in Utah and Idaho and use them to improve the camps elsewhere. What would youth close to getting their eagle do? I don't think TSCC wants to buy campsites for a new program. It will simply continue in BSA.

Posted by: anontodayandtomorrow ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:04AM

the church already owns a fairly substaintial list of camps/recreation properties in the intermountain west. they wouldn't spend much to simply convert them into boy's camps a few weeks a year. For example, the Heber Vally girls camp is massive. 2000+ people can be within the camp properties easily and not feel crowded. This camp easily rivals some of the larger BSA facilities.

the church and BSA have had a tenuous relationship for a number of years. BSA has wanted to move to be more inclusive and broad. the church wants to lock down and be more restrictive.

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:40PM

The Boy Scouts of America is a huge source of the kind of mainstream validation Mormon culture craves. Of course, that desire is always in inherent conflict with the need for uniqueness to justify its separate existence.

Thus spake Mujun.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:58PM

I think the church has secretly wanted to get out of Boy Scouts for some time. Not enough brainwashing opportunities. I think they'd rather come up with their own program, like they have for the Young Women, that is more focused on being a good Mormon than being a good person. And, like the Girl Scout program in not encouraged or supported by the church, Boy Scouts will be put on the same level by Mormons. I knew several girls, including my own daughter, who did Girl Scouts but it was more tolerated, providing DD did her church stuff first, rather than applauded.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:31PM

I hope that they do pull out.

The "Scouts" are the only REAL thing about the mormon church. When a kid goes to church and the related activities, he is around mormons, naturally. When he goes into the real world, the only thing that non-mormons even MIGHT understand about this kid is "he goes to Boy Scouts".

Change that to "He goes to Young Men" or "He goes to Mutual" or "He goes to glury of gawd award".

It certainly will make them look that much weirder, thereby undoing 15 years of mainstreaming efforts.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:59PM

Agreed.

In addition, I bet that if the cult pulls out of BSA, they'll quickly forbid Mormons from attending BSA.

You can't have Mormons closely interacting with "Gentiles". It makes it so much harder to demonize them.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:10PM

right now there's a World Scout Jamboree in Japan and I'm hearing about half of US's contingent is kolobian.

they drop a significant chunk of coin to BSA for the privilege of attending the ten day event. $5,750.

It's a huge cash cow for the national council.

You know BSA is taking a huge hit donation wise from the coasts if they're willing to tell the kolobians to take a hike.

But after 15 years, I guess the bean counters decided they had to change course.

I suspect they considered the continued sustainability/viability of kolobian scouting in the 21st Century in their deliberations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.