Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Danielle (nli) ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:18PM

The local PH decided that it would be a great idea for ward members to be trained in disaster relief. They were able to obtain the required number of people to be trained and set up the training session with the Red Cross.

When the local priesthood discovered that the church would have to shelter and feed non-members, they cancelled the Red-Cross-trainer's visit and notified those of us whom signed up for training that the program was cancelled.

In regards to this, one of the high priest's remarked, "We wanted the training just to help our own ward members in case of a disaster.".

Wtf? So much for being my brother's keeper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:34PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:36PM

Dummies! They could have charged non-members big bucks, maybe even billed their respective insurance companies for the services rendered!

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 10:12PM

This is one of the things I really was concerned about as a member. So much of our time was involved in doing useless meetings and most of our tithing seemed to be spent on building churches and temples that were only for Mormons. We seemed so introverted and never met with other churches or organizations on joint efforts to help the community, such as feeding the poor.

There was a non-LDS church in our town that recently donated the use of their building for free meetings to teach employment skills, like interviewing. I admired the way they selflessly donated their building and asked nothing in return.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:28AM

What a bunch of dumb asses. I can't imagine any church building being used for an evacuation site.

If they were smart, they would've looked into the CERT program:

"The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help."

http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams/

The city I work in has the CERT program and we have one for our senior living community (thru the city).

-Dennis

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:35AM

Thanks for the link, Dennis!

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:14PM

Churches, especially those with commercial grade kitchens and gymnasiums, make excellent evacuation sites.

Go to any midwestern or southern town that has been hit by a tornado and see how well this works.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:46AM

Mormons are consumed with being accepted as a mainstream church and being viewed as an integral part of the community. And yet seemingly in all instances they refuse to integrate into the community, choosing instead to remain their insular selves, almost as if they are still polygamists in hiding from federal officers. I've never known an LDS building to be used for any emergency. Remember that a few years ago the Mormons took heat in Haiti when they refused to open their doors as a shelter during a hurricane.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:31PM

Other churches actually contribute to communities. I've seen everything from pre-school to free space for classes to showers in parking lots for the homeless.

LDS Inc. is all about PR, self righteousness... rarely about non-LDS or those in need.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 07:49PM

Sounds awfully like a cult.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 08:42PM

We wanted the training just to help our own ward members in case of a disaster.".

Typical isolationist/cult attitude.

Hooray for me. To hell with you!

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 08:45PM

This is ridiculous. Why wouldn't the church want to do this? Even if they were only doing it from a self-serving perspective isn't it likely that some of the people they helped would've converted?

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:20PM

They don't want to love their neighbors? Yeah, real Christian.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:21PM

Hey, Dennis Moore, I am a CERT member too in my city. It is great training ! I loved it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:43AM

Oops!

They forgot that coffee is routinely prepared and served at Red Cross shelters.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 09:44AM

Research shows that religious people do more charitable activity than the average non-religious citizen but has a strong bias towards doing it mostly within their own community. The phenomenon is not unique to Mormonism.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 09:52AM

Mormons are winners!

Date: August 04, 2015 07:45PM

Don't you mean wieners? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 07:45PM by brandywine.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 02:22PM

Our independent protestant church gives to many charities, some within our town, but many outside of our community and many of these, international in scope. Some are religiously based, but many are not. Members carefully research the charities to ensure that most money goes to those in need and not the structure of the charity.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 03:39PM

had anything to do with the (as I very strenuously avoid using the F word right here) Abomination known as the MORmON church......

and just to be crystal clear about the matter, I am not talking about MORmON Jesus -a god who so closely resembles Satan /who steals from the poor to benefit the filthy elite MORmON royalty/ who springs into action for causes like making sure that Joe Smith scores some sex with under age / teen age girls in his name.

I am talking about a REAL New Testament style Jesus who had compassion for the downtrodden and who is an advocate of the less fortunate, Not the totally parasitic opportunistic wretch MORmON Jesus.

Then that REAL Jesus would have drug the MORmON PRofit and his cohorts out of their warm comfortable beds to go help scour the streets to find and round up homeless people that were stuck outdoors when temperatures were going to plummet and those homeless would other wise end up frozen to death. This same REAL Jesus would have thought nothing of opening MORmON ward houses to shelter the homeless.

INSTEAD this is what happened: The MORmON PRofit Gordon BS Hinckley had such a hard on for building his own Churchin' legacy that he could not even begin to contemplate anything else. Gordon wanted his legacy to include the Mo'sney Land Vatican which included City Creek Center complex with a metro train line to service it, a spectacular conference center, a luxury condo tower to over look The Mo'sney Land Vatican, eliminating main street where it ran through the complex, and glorious man made water falls every where including over the side of the conference center to fancy up the place.

Gordon Also wanted the Olympics to come to Utah, so the world could see the splendors of MORmONISM, and then all of the duly impressed could en mass buy into the MORmONIC Book of MORmON and MORmON style family togetherness (based on stupid unmentionable secret handshakes) scam.

Barely noticeable Amidst all of the fulfilling of these PRofit Hinckley MORmON wet dreams, a new Salt Lake City Homeless Shelter was constructed, where Homeless people froze to death on the steps of the entrance of the shelter. The shelter was completed in the fall, but it remained closed even though it was completed and functional. The reason it remained closed was because Gordon Hinckley's pal Mayor Dee Dee Corradini was out of town. Dee Dee Corradini did not want the shelter to officially open until she could be in town for the photo op. Opening the shelter before Mayor Dee Dee could get back would diffuse some of the excitement that Dee Dee wanted to capitalize on by being present for the opening ceremony. IN the mean time, a late November bitter cold snap made it into Salt Lake before Mayor Dee Dee did, and homeless people who were camped out on the steps of the new homeless shelter awaiting its opening ended up freezing to death.

Just like a REAL Jesus, A REAL biblical style prophet might have gone down to the homeless shelter and busted the doors open, or busted open the doors on some LDS meeting houses, in order to shelter the homeless, but not good old Hinckley. Hinckley was carefully tucked into his big nice soft warm bed in his fancy ass highly extravagant penthouse apartment, dreaming of how to further ratchet up the glamour of his grand MORmON PRofit legacy.

Posted by: Danielle (nli) ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 04:10PM

Date: August 04, 2015 07:48PM

I'm upset by it too.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 07:04PM

Re: LDS chapels used by Red Cross during emergencies.

Dear concerned LDS members,
It is a business decision.
Jesus' legal team does not want increased liability to Jesus or his businesses and buildings.
It is an emotional decision for people that care about others but as for us we just don't.
That is how business decisions work.
How dare you question us and our client Jesus.

Screw you,
The Mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.