Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:55PM

According to apologists nothing a Mormon prophet says should be taken seriously and it's likely to be bullshit. My favorite example is the Book of Abraham. Their explanation is that Joseph thought he was translating, or something. The problem with this claim is that Joseph was supposed to have the actual ability to translate. If he had that ability he would actually just translate it. Then they might say that Joe used it as a vehicle to translate. This doesn't work because the Mormon God is unable to tell a lie. Apparently we shouldn't take any prophet seriously. So what's the point of the Mormon church? If none of their “modern revelation” is meant to be taken seriously that makes the entire church completely pointless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:58PM

Yes it's pointless.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:59PM

The church and the prophets both.

Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:04AM

And yet the prophet isn't supposed to be able to lie or lead the church astray lest they be struck down.

However they always use the "prophet and apostles are not perfect excuse"

Can't have your cake and eat it too but Man the TSCC somehow manages to pull it off.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:09AM

I think this means the Lord doesn't care which way the church is led. They can't lead astray because there's no course, no goal, other than the members following the leaders. "Just lead the sheep around in the pasture," says the Lord. "Whatever. Just don't let them wander off on their own."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 04:34AM

Read "Profiles of a Prophet" by Hugh Brown, which tscc periodically re-publishes... To My Utter Amazment!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:28AM

Do not call yourself a prophet if you do not prophesy.

Do not call yourself a revelator if you cannot reveal anything other than something anyone on the street could reveal.

Do not call yourself a seer if you are blind to human kindness.

And do not call yourself President of the Mormon Church if you are in fact its CEO.

Mormon revelations are policy changes meant to avoid bad press. They come from men speaking as men. Actually shallow, selfish, men speaking as men.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:38AM

That's a point I always raise when LDS folks go for the "they were/are not perfect" "they were speaking as men" tac. Because, in the moment members are expected to be exactly obedient and fall in line with the LDS leaders. Gordon Hinckley was giving instructions right down to the number of earrings people should wear. Why? The leaders know better, because they are prophets.

But when we continually see that LDS members can't defend the track record of the LDS prophets over decades. The ideas of past critics of LDS leaders become modern revelation later on.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:39AM

due to the fact that they came to my door to tell me about Joseph Smith, claiming literal divine sponsorship of Joseph Smith, his calling, his prophetic abilities the Priesthood Authority.

That's is the whole sales pitch!!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.