Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 06:46PM

One of my TBM sister is visiting us this weekend. We are at the Lake House and this morning the wife and I are making our cups of coffee to go sit out at the dock and enjoy our morning coffee. My TBM sister asks if she can also have a cup of coffee to enjoy. What? Her 25 year old son also wants a cup. They are on vacation. I guess a vacation from Mormonism.

Later my sister and I are talking and the subject turns to Mormonism and she starts talking about how they are no longer important or needed in their ward. My sister is in her late 50's.

I am later talking with my BIL and he tells me out of the blue that he no longer does his home teaching assignments. He is a HP and he tells me he has had the same HP calling (takes the roll of who is in the HP class) for years. He goes on to say the HP Leaders have changed several times and he never gets released or another calling.

I told my sister "The Church" only wants you when your raising kids (30 to 40 years old). She agreed. We talked more about how lonely it is to attend a church where you make no friends. She said they have been in the same ward for 25 years.

The town they live in - the Stake closed the other ward recently and now they have a large ward.

Me thinks the LDS church has some serious problems brewing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 06:48PM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 06:50PM

This gives me lots of hope! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 06:51PM

That is really rather sad that they no longer feel a sense of community. It's nice that your sister and her family are loosening the reins a bit. How lovely that they have you and your wife so that they don't feel watched and judged.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:32PM

The less they need me the less they bother me

The less they bother me the happier I am

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:37PM

Hey- if she's up for coffee, maybe a nice glass of wine at sunset would be nice too?

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:52PM

I think the wine is a bad idea, they are taking baby steps and you are a safe place where they can vent their frustrations and try a little something forbidden. Sounds like you're already doing that :)

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:53PM

I would fall off the deck of the cabin if that happened in my family. Your family is disenchanted. They will be open to more conversations in the future, since you understand their plight.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 10:22PM

Ah, yes, coffee -- that wonderful, warm bitter liquid that wakes you up in more ways than one, and can widen or create cracks in the sturdiest of shelves.
Yet more reason to praise it! :)

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:01PM

Do they live in Idaho. This scenario sounds very familiar.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:06PM

As a devout coffee drinker, I support this!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:09PM

The only 50 year olds and up that the church have a use for are the ones with plenty of money. The will gladly take your free labor, but in general don't want to be bothered with you.

By the time you're 50 you've done all of the ordinances, had your family and given your best years to the church.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:34AM

Give her a K-cup machine for Christmas. She'll love it. I put one in my house and had LOT's of Swiss Miss Cocoa in stock. Introduced the coffee slowly...

Now I have coffee mate singles on the counter and no one gives me shit.

I am the captain of my own ship dammit! And my kitchen too!

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:07AM

I have it on good authority that only Beer drinkers can get into heaven.

Coffee drinkers can get into heaven too, but you will need a sponsor. So for all you coffee drinkers that do not partake of the bubbly brew, just let us beer drinkers know, and we will be glad to put in a word for you.

Can't imagine a heaven with no beer or coffee. Just saying.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 02:19AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.