Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 03:47PM

balance is often difficult place to reach in our lives... where does the Mormon/LDS culture put people (influence) them on this?

Is(n't) the Uber-Judgmentalism of the stereo-typical TBM related to this factor?

It's my opinion that many LDS are devoid of what is otherwise normal empathy, kindness, being considerate.

your thoughts/comments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 03:54PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 03:54PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 04:16PM

Too much emotionalism.

Too little empathy.

Mormonism has a heightened emotional atmosphere. Truth itself is determined by emotions not facts. Self-esteem, self-worth, the nature of God, right and wrong, who is and isn't acceptable are all based on emotional factors. Do you FEEL the spirit with that person? Does the spirit testify of God's presence in the temple? Do you feel you or anyone else has sinned by whatever behavior was just partaken of? Do things that normal humans take in stride make you FEEL offended? (Tank tops, tea, grocery stores open on Sunday ...)

That being said, it's hard to empathize with others for many, if not most, Mormons. They are too busy earning their salvation, worrying about tiny details, trying to impress others with their righteousness and feeling like "If I have to work this hard - you better too or I'll judge you." They are under constant scrutiny by themselves and their church so that doesn't really set the stage for them to be understanding, empathetic or accepting of others. Some Mormons overcome this attitude but they are good in spite of being Mormon, not because of it.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:54PM

Wow, you've put into words how I feel!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 04:26PM

Members look to the cult to tell them how to feel and react. Sometimes they must hold in feelings and other times they're expected to emote. They can't be authentic. They're forced to be fakes.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 04:38PM

I find true empathy is something I am trying to acquire post-mormonism. As a TBM I viewed others' "trials" with pity that they didn't know about the "plan of happiness." Take that miserable plan out of the picture, and I feel the pain, loss of loved ones, and uncertainty about the future with much more understanding.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 05:25PM

Too freakin much!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 07:55PM

I was obliged to attend F&T today.

Three out of thirteen testifiers shed tears.

Posted by: Petra ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 07:11AM

And those who shed tears do it during every testimony. As if it is a trick

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 08:16PM

Too much emotionalism where its needed and too little where it is needed. In other words, Mormon emotionalism is misplaced and out of balance.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 08:45PM

"culture" and "LDS" should never be used in the same sentence.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 09:59AM

Seriously. And when it comes to religion the answer is definitely too much. What else explains that you can get a TBM to confront and acknowledge facts about their church's history and doctrine and then the next minute they bear their testimony based upon what they feel?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.