Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:25PM

I am using the typical letter provided at mormonnomore and here. Would it be too much to mention in my letter than anyone coming to my home with be given a warning by the police department per city ordinance? I have spoken with the chief of police about this matter more than once. I was told that the first time they show up to call the police and they'll give them a warning. The second time they are will be dealt with more harshly. I can't remember exactly what happens. I think they will be arrested.

If putting that line in my letter isn't going to disuade anyone, then maybe it's better to leave it out so I don't sound threatening.

I'm sending a copy of the letter to the local bishop and the ward building. I'll address it to Mr. <last name>. He's not my bishop. I will not acknowledge that.

I've been saying I'll do this for years. Life always intervenes and I simply am too busy, don't have the energy, or just don't care to waste my time at the moment. This is getting done today. It's one burden in my life I need to get rid of. It's too hot outside to go out and do anything fun so I am taking this chance to do it.

The last time they showed up I figured that might be the end of it given my no-mo husband chased them down and let them have it with probably a few dozen f bombs. Nope. Some airhead left a message on my machine today. It was hard to understand some of what she was saying but she said I was on her list and saw I hadn't been contacted in a while.

10 years ago my father was stake clerk at a stake in Utah. He moved my records to the care center ward in the stake so he could update my information. He added my never mo husband's name, the names of his parents, my married name, put my address on there, my phone number, etc. It is so infuriating that a parent would do that. He's dead now. Time to let it all go.

One more thing. My father gave me copies of all the info which made it very easy to include my member number on my letter. He'd be rolling over in his grave if he knew he helped me out in the wrong way. <evil laugh>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:35PM

I believe in starting out mild. I would simply state that you are aware that your resignation is effective immediately upon receipt of the letter, and that you want no more contact either in person, by phone, or electronic media except for a confirmation that the resignation has been processed.

Be aware that some bishops will contact you one last time just to confirm your identity. A good response might be, "Yes, I am indeed resigning. Please process the paperwork with no further delay." Responding in this manner might speed up the paperwork on the church's end of things. However, it is not necessary for you to respond. If the bishop does not get the job done, the Membership Records department in SLC will do so on his behalf.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:15PM

Include enough identifying information that it is clear who is resigning.

Make it clear you are resigning. Don't request or say you have decided to resign. Use the words "With this letter, I hereby resign from the LDS church, effective immediately."

Keep it short. Don't go into your reasons for resignation or anything like that. Short and to the point.

Send it to the correct address. I don't know it, but I am sure it can be found here somewhere.

Send it registered.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:41PM

Why should you not go into your reasons for resigning? Just because nobody probably actually reads the whole thing?

Personally if I decide to resign I'd like to point out to them that I was baptized against my will because I didn't have the power to resist or stand up for myself when I was only 8. And I'd also point out that I never had any faith to begin with so they can't tell me I've "lost my faith." There are a ton of things I'd like to say to TSCC... why not do it in the resignation letter??

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:21PM

Let them be the first ones to act badly.

Date: August 01, 2015 06:31PM

Thanks you guys. Very helpful.

This is what I'm sending. (The identifying info is in my letter, but I am not posting that part publically.) It is recommended that I send it priority mail with delivery confirmation so I have proof that it was delivered. Apparently, certified letters are often mishandled.

Member Records
50 E North Temple, Room 1372
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-5310
United States

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. I hereby withdraw my consent to being treated as a member and I withdraw my consent to being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and 'discipline'. As I am no longer a member, I want my name permanently and completely removed from the membership rolls of the church.

I have given this matter considerable thought. I understand what you consider the 'seriousness' and the 'consequences' of my actions. I am aware that the church handbook says that my resignation "cancels the effects of baptism and confirmation, withdraws the priesthood held by a male member and revokes temple blessings" I also understand that I will be "readmitted to the church by baptism only after a thorough interview". (quotes from the current Church Handbook of Instructions)

My resignation should be processed immediately, without any 'waiting periods'. I am not going to be dissuaded and I am not going to change my mind.

I expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect, and with full confidentiality.

After today, the only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:44PM

Good letter! That should work nicely.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 10:29AM

Is that the right address? There was a post on the Board in June that said he/she had spoken to a Morgbot in SLC who said the address was no longer

Members Records Division, LDS church
50 E North Temple, Room 1372
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-5310

Then, he said "No, that's not correct". He then gave me the following address:

Office of the first presidency
47 E South Temple St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-1010

I emailed my resignation to Greg Dodge back in the day, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of physical map addresses. or does it matter, as long as the sender gets confirmation that the letter was delivered to Churchco HQ.

Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:32PM

Wouldn't the folks in room 1372 just forward any letters they receive over to the FP? I would think the office of the First Presidency would be way too busy to handle this extra burden of receiving 1,000's of resignation letters every month. I'll call them tomorrow to check.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:35PM

Great letter - congratulations and celebrate!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:39PM

Well back when I resigned in 1990, I pretty well had to wing it. Much to my surprise, it actually worked without a hitch.

Hope this helps:

Dear Pres XXXX:

I am writing this letter to resign from the COJCOLDS and I hereby renounce my membership therein.

I am doing so freely of my own will for reasons that needn't be discussed here or ever. I simply choose to become a non-Mormon. I do not wish excommunication, church court, or any action other than removal of my name from all Church records.

This must be done as a private matter between me and Church officials only. By doing exactly as I request, the Church will avoid any legal measures that I might otherwise pursue.

I also request that I be notified in writing by the appropriate Church officials that my name has indeed been removed from all Church records.

Thank you kindly for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
XXX X XXXXXXX

http://www.salamandersociety.com/x-files/900807shumway_resign.pdf

Date: August 01, 2015 07:57PM

Nice letter Shummy! Straight and to the point. I like the line about "...the Church will avoid any legal measures that I might otherwise pursue".

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:14PM

Do they even read our letters--other than a survey source?

I know it's like a dog barking at a train, but it sure feels good to spit it out.

"Effective immediately, I resign from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
The doctrine is not only illogical, but also outrageous. I was a member for 43 years and was never told church history as it is coming out now, nor many doctrines pertaining to eternal life. I believe that we were “strong-armed” into tithing to qualify for temple attendance to secure eternal blessings for our loved ones. The new essays coming out on LDS.org are shamefully whitewashed and did more to hurt my testimony than to help it."

Posted by: othersteve ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:38PM

Congratulations! Your letter looks exactly like the one I sent. I actually wrote two letters--the one I sent (which looks like yours) and a longer one where I gave reasons and vented. It was therapeutic to write both, but I recognized that the longer one wasn't going to get the job done any better than the shorter one.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:47PM

Well ya know , in 1990 the Morg had recently had its cage rattled pretty convincingly by Norman Hancock bringing an $11 mil lawsuit for not offering simple name removal without the stain of excommunication.

Gotta hand it to that solitary brave man who took on the Morg......the patron X-saint of painless resignation.

But yeah, I'm under no delusions that my name isn't still embedded deep within their dank vaults . . . . what with my BYU attendance and missionary interview with Gordo B.

But ya know, it was highly cathartic seeing that reply letter all those years ago.

And I gotta say that was reward aplenty for all my trouble.

Date: August 01, 2015 11:57PM

I finished it, have my priority mail envelope and I can create the postage online. It gives me free tracking. I suppose that's good enough. I no longer see the term "delivery confirmation". Did they change simply to tracking? Must have. Putting it in the mail on Sunday seems fitting.

Date: August 02, 2015 07:46PM

It's mailed! It's done! I am free!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

Celebrated with a Starbucks mini frap.

Thanks for the encouragement and for all the support for all these years on RFM.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 09:11PM

What a nice way to end a great Sunday! Congratulations!

Date: August 03, 2015 12:00AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 02:06AM

If I ever officially resign, my letter will be very simple.

Dear LDS Church,

Effectively immediately I resign my membership in the LDS Church.

I understand that you need to verify that I really sent this letter by having my bishop contact me. As soon as he has verified that I really did send this letter, I expect no further contact.

Sincerely,

Leaving

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 02:30AM

It's Sunday
Get that letter off in the mail! You can do it!
Yay for you!
Hugs and cheers to a bright future!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.