Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:30PM

As if the story couldn't get any sadder...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3182428/Cecil-s-brother-Jericho-shot-dead-poachers-Zimbabwean-park.html

Update: Jericho is alive, not related to Cecil, still protecting cubs
https://gma.yahoo.com/cecil-lions-brother-jericho-shot-killed-says-zimbabwe-184520985--abc-news-topstories.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 10:30AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 03:04PM

This breaks my heart, especially since he was caring for his brother's cubs.

Posted by: Non-trophy hunter xmo ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:26PM

I understand your compassion for the cubs, and it's clear that you are a very caring individual. However, it's almost certain that Cecil arrived at his station in life by killing the cubs of another male lion.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:31PM

Out of two tragic critter killings we should see a turning of the tide for all of Africa's fast-fading species.

If the US disallows extradition then the next step will inevitably involve the UN.

The outcry will then be deafening.

Let us hope to see all wildlife death rates reverse before it's too late.

Posted by: IMout ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:36PM

The man that shot Jericho paid someone $50,000.00 so that he could hunt him. May I say that calling it a "hunt"would be an absurdity. I would say that an execution would be more of an accurate description of what went on.

So much for personal integrity.

Date: August 01, 2015 06:31PM

On another thread, you asked my thoughts specifically on the the killing of "Cecil." I don't know all of the material facts, but if the dentist did illegally kill the lion, he should should be subjected to legal consequences. I'm against poaching. In my experience, most hunters are against poaching. As presented in the media, the dentist sounds like quite an asshole.

Date: August 01, 2015 07:44PM

I appreciate that you took the time to think about what I asked and answered.

It's not what we think about something that matters as much as what we feel. That's what really determines who we really are and what we are about.

I found a little dog that was scheduled to be euthanized and I brought him home. That little guy has taught me more about being able to love than anything else. His owner only saw that this dog barked and wasn't what he wanted. although he was only two, his owner told them to destroy him. All I see is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I've had him for eighteen months. I'm telling you, he was so scared when I brought him home that he was just shaking.

Learning to put yourself in their place and feel what is going on with an animal or another person is called empathy.

That and personal integrity are perhaps two of the greatest qualities any person can possess.

Of course you aren't going to go hug a lion but wanting to protect any living creature within the realm of practicality isn't really about what you are doing for them as much as being about what they are doing to change your life for the better.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:04PM

Reports are now mixed -- one of the researchers that tracks Jericho via GPS collar states that his movements are normal and that he appears to be with one of the pride's females. It may be another lion that was poached. It will probably take a while to sort out what happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cecil-s-brother-jericho-alive-and-well-says-researcher-after-reports-lion-was-killed-1.3176870

Date: August 01, 2015 05:12PM

if that's the case then someone will be still looking for Jericho. Apparently the poacher of this lion, whomever he may be got out of the country quickly and is back in his own home

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:10PM

There was some confusion because another lion was shot on a nearby farm.

http://kfor.com/2015/08/01/cecil-the-lions-brother-jericho-illegally-killed-by-hunters-saturday/

ETA: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/01/jericho-not-dead-cecil-the-lion-zimbabwe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 06:14PM by Beth.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:30PM

One day humans will be hunted like animals and we surely will deserve it.

Date: August 01, 2015 06:41PM

Animals have always hunted humans. Animals have always killed their own kind, including babies. Baby male lions that survive to adulthood will almost certainly become baby killers. I doubt there are any altruistic lions, even where resources may be plentiful.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 01:31AM

Mufasa. He was cool about babies.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:43PM

I just heard the same thing. He's not dead after all.

Film at eleven.

Posted by: ExmoLionLover ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:48PM

I love animals. I would not shoot, kill, or harm any animal, unless I was starving and no other way. I can't help but ask though:

Why does this country allow hunting of lions?
Does this country give permits for lion hunting?
Is Lion hunting legal in this country?
Did this man have a legal permit?
I read somewhere that 50 lions are hunted each year in this country?
I think this man, and other trophy hunters like him are idiots, but did he do anything legally wrong?

Oh well, years in Mormonism, and I am just now starting to think critically and ask questions.

Date: August 01, 2015 06:49PM

Posted by: Exmolionlover ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:31PM

I am playing devils advocate here Beth, obviously. I read from a reliable source that he did have a legal permit, so I wonder which law was broken in that country, if any?

What about his guides, shouldn't they be at fault, even 99%?

I also wonder whether the US has extradition rights for laws, if any, ware broken in another country? I mean, lets say I went to Holland and bought some drugs and slept with 10 hookers - would the US be able to prosecute me?

As much as I hate to see beautiful animals hunted, it happens all the time all over the world - legally.

Date: August 01, 2015 07:37PM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/zimbabwe-seeks-extradition-of-u-s-hunter-who-killed-cecil-the-lion-1438370953

WSJ Article.

When you are in another country, if you break one of their laws, you are subject to their punishment. It's a good idea to register with your home country's embassy as soon as you get there.

I broke an Egyptian law, and I was almost arrested. I got lucky. The arrest would have been lawful under Egyptian law, but they let me go with a stern warning. Like six cops with machine guns yelling at me warning.

ETA: If you come back reeking of pot, you'll probably get pulled out of line in Customs. If you're not carrying, you'll move on, after about three or four hours of hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 07:39PM by Beth.

Posted by: Exmolionlover ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:40PM

Of course, I was mistaken. Thought it was the other way around. By all means, that dude may be in serious Ka ka

Date: August 01, 2015 07:43PM

Date: August 01, 2015 07:39PM

The U.S. can prosecute him if he violates U.S. laws. For instance, he may not be able to bring back his lion "trophy." The U.S. can also cooperate with Zimbabwe if officials there request his extradition.

As for what laws he violated in Zimbabwe, that is for officials there to decide. But baiting in order to lure a lion off a protected preserve comes to mind. I am not even seeing most hunting advocates trying to defend that one. Also if he was aware of the radio collar, that may be a violation as well.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:41PM

Ignorance of the law doesn't necessarily excuse breaking it, especially in other countries.

If you went to Holland for the purpose of sex tourism with minors, you'd likely be punished if caught. Drugs and prostitution are at the very least decriminalized in Holland, so it wouldn't be worth the trouble to prosecute you for those peccadilloes.

Date: August 01, 2015 06:52PM

Zimbabwe has now suspended big-game hunting in the area of the Hwange preserve due to repeated poaching.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 07:00PM

Well I say screw the legal prosecution......just send the trigger fingered tooth doctor on an all expenses paid bird hunting safari with ex-VP Dick Cheney.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 03:26PM

Has anyone noticed that Jerico and Cecil were probably a "gay couple?" BTW is everyone sure that Cecil was the father of the cubs? The people who led the hunt claimed that Cecil was thought to be too old. Where are the lionesses? Why was everyone told that if a male lion was killed his cubs were going to be killed?

The law in Zimbabwe appears to be a matter of fines. Would they pass an ex post facto law? Might they hang an American because it was popular to do so? If it is a large fine, why not try the dentist in absentia?

Date: August 02, 2015 12:51PM

Photo of Jericho taken early Sunday morning. He was out feeding with lionesses from his (and Cecil's) pride. All is well.

http://wildcru.org/news/macdonald-jerico-alive/jerico_20150802_sm.jpg

Some additional information from the Oxford University team that monitors the pride:

http://wildcru.org/news/macdonald-jerico-alive/

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:05AM

As a side note, canned hunts where captive lions are shot for a high price by hunters are a sad reality for many lions. Both wild and captive lions are hurting in Africa.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 03:24AM

I have a fantasy. A building made especially for big game killers and poachers, just for them. All of their heads mounted on the walls in pretty rows for the public to spit on, rub feces on, puke on, etc.

Only the moronist moron around would think its OK to lure a lion off a reserve to hunt them down and kill them. I want to see this slimeball in a Zimbabwe prison. I just don't think they are going to have the special treatment for the dentists etc. in that prison. They will have general prison population PERIOD. Which means that our dentist could end up having lots of problems from the other prisoners..... I hope so very much! He could even get sexually assaulted.... or murdered....Oh poor baby..NOT!

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 04:20AM

either in having it or confessing it here, somehow enhances your image? Poetic justice is just schadenfreude.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 04:49AM

Date: August 03, 2015 11:35AM

in the wake of Cecil's death, the government of Botswana has now banned sport hunting and the exportation of the country's game animals for purposes of sport hunting. Officials state that sport hunting is no longer viewed as being compatible with Botswana's wildlife conservation policies.

http://www.enca.com/africa/botswana-bans-sports-hunters-after-cecil

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.