Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 01:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:12PM

That's good to know. The people I know who are retired seem very content with their lot.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 02:41PM

I read one of those OMG! stories about how bad the daily grind of a stop & go commute is on mind and body. I last had a daily commute in 1978, which could explain why I'm such a pleasant fellow, and in such health, despite my age.

Since reading that story, I've noticed a surge in my joy when I'm reverse-commuting every Wednesday. I belong to a 16-24 man group that plays in the Inland Empire on Wednesday mornings. So I leave my OC residence around 7:00 a.m. and go flying north on the 57 freeway, watching traffic crawl on the S/B side. Or I take Imperial E/B til it reaches the 91, and head east, smirking at the crawling W/B traffic.

Then after golf, we all go eat and then I do one of the reverse trips home, flying W/B, looking at all the E/B homeward bound commuters crawling E/B. And thanks to that article, I recognize the positive benefits of my previously unremarkable journey.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 04:36PM

I have not yet retired but my commute is from our bedroom down the stairs to my office. I don't like traffic.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:26PM

I definitely can relate to that statement!

Wish I would have retired sooner but my last few years resembled retirement anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 06:27PM by spiritist.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:49PM

The day I retired was the happiest day of my life second only to childbirth and the day I left Mormonism.

Having control of your own time and not having to suffer the abuse that seniors get in the workplace is part of the relief. When the only thing you can't buy is time, being able to retire is just so wonderful.

Now that I think of it--getting back my own time (as well as money) was part of the thrill of leaving the Morg.

Kathleen

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 12:14AM

I quit getting migraine headaches AS SOON AS I RETIRED! I have not had one in the 13 years since retiring! I used to get them as often as 2 and 3 times a week - sometimes so severe that I had to go to the ER for an injection of narcotic painkiller combined with Phenergan, because I could not stop vomiting. They were horrible.

I get mild headaches sometimes now, but I pop a couple of Excedrin as soon as I am aware of them, and POOF! They go away.

As the bumper sticker says, "A bad day at retirement is better than the best day at work!"

The day I walked out of that building for the last time, I walked across the street to the parking structure where my car was parked. I got into my car and then sobbed my heart out for at least half an hour. There had been so many times when I despaired of even living long enough to retire. . .

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:44AM

I'm where you were at pre-retirement, now (minus the migraines, but I have my fair share of other chronic ailments lol. May be work related for all I know....)

Sounds really nice to be able to finally be free from all that excess strain and toil. I hope to live long enough to finally reach that goal too. Congratulations on your doing so and then some! May you have many more years of retirement to enjoy; the best is yet to be.

Date: August 03, 2015 12:35AM

We had to be 55 years old AND retire on the last workday of the month.

My birthday was the day BEFORE the last workday of the month.

Once I had a set retirement date, I couldn't keep my mind on work to save my life. I had a jerkoff supervisor, newly promoted, who was feeling his oats and who kept trying to scream at me to get me back in line. I finally told him to eff off.

One of my best buddies, who was retiring on he same day I was, was within hearing distance, burst into very merry laughter, and said, "Yeah, the same goes for me!" The supervisor turned eggplant-purple and marched away. He never bothered either of us again.

Retirement isn't as exhilarating as childbirth, but it's a lot less painful. And in a way, it, too, is the birth of a new life.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 12:50AM

I think I was born again the day I retired !

I also had migraines, catnip, and just like you they vanished when I quit working. I thought I was allergic, had eyestrain, etc, etc, when it was really just being treated badly for eight hours a day.

Kathleen

Date: August 01, 2015 07:12PM

Something I look forward to with relish, mustard, and ketchup.

I'm counting the days (weeks, months, and some years thrown in.) Closing in on the finish line. Hope I can make it to the bitter end and still have some years left to enjoy it with. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 07:12PM by amyjo.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 09:35PM

I'm enjoying full retirement, with some non-stress part-time work (5-15 hours/week). Happier than ever.

But there are also studies which show that people who continue to work or commit to some kind of vocation/volunteer activity have good quality-of-life indices.

It's all individual. But just sitting around will negatively affect your health and attitudes. Best to keep doing something, even if it's just posting on RfM!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:44PM

Hmm, despite the "science," I'm not so sure about this.
I don't want to ever "retire," as in stop working, challenging myself, learning new things, etc.

I was fortunate enough to be able to 'semi-retire' about 8 years ago. I work now from home mostly, when I want, how much I want. I do a lot of volunteer work. But I'm also involved in a start-up, not because it'll make me rich (it probably won't), but because it's fun and interesting, and something new.

If "retiring" means not doing the daily grind of working for a living full-time, then I'm already retired. If it means not working at all, then I'll never retire. Until I can't even type on a laptop (or something similar), at least :)

Date: August 02, 2015 12:32AM

I find myself in agreement. Because I do not mind being alone, I can contentedly spend days alone at home, which I found played havoc with my admittedly already limited strength and endurance.

I can't say I'm 100% correct on this, but my ex's mother had colon cancer and had surgery. She moved in with us after being released from the hospital, because she couldn't live alone while she recuperated. She never walked unsupported again. I say she just gave up wanting to walk; there was definitely nothing wrong with her legs. It was her will that let her down.

The main attraction of this community is that it demands application of a certain set of skills, which otherwise might not get exercised, much like my ex-MIL's legs. I enjoy 'thinking', but not the fighting.

And now there's the fact that I've settled into a schedule where I play golf between three and five times a week. It's very competitive golf, because, hey, quarters are money, too!

Date: August 02, 2015 12:53AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now there's the fact that I've settled into a
> schedule where I play golf between three and five
> times a week. It's very competitive golf,
> because, hey, quarters are money, too!

dog, we need to play golf.
You'll probably take my quarters...but I'll enjoy it anyway :)

Date: August 02, 2015 01:00AM

Two of our Wednesday group live in San Marcos. Say the word and I'll get you into one of our Wednesday games in Corona. We've been to Cross Creek twice...

This Wednesday we're playing at Jurupa Golf Course, a goat track, but it only costs $19.95 through UnderPar.

I could always meet you half way, like at Dos Lagos... Ever played General Old? Where do you usually play? Feel free to email me... But for ghawd's sake, don't let moose have my email address!!!

Date: August 02, 2015 02:19PM

Mostly I play Castle Creek and Woods Valley, my "local" courses. I go early to Torrey Pines now and then as a walk-on, usually sneaking onto the North Course. Eagle Crest and Vineyard (Escondido) also usual haunts.
But I can do Corona or thereabouts -- I was in Lake Elsinore all day yesterday, Corona's only a hop skip & a pitch from there :)

I'll e-mail, let's do it. I have to be in Palm Springs later today for a few hours, will e-mail when back if I haven't melted from the 110F temps :(

Date: August 02, 2015 02:50PM

Any other SoCal ex-mo golfers want in on this action?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 12:40AM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 12:54AM

EVER. He enjoys his job but he is getting of an age where I worry about him traveling. He is dead set on working till 70 and then wants to work part time. He has had a job since he was a kid and I do worry what he will do with his time. He can't spend DAYS playing Diablo!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 12:57AM

DH says every year that he'll retire in 3 years. This has been going on for about 15 years. His biggest problem is that he loves what he does. He's finally beginning to wind down now that he's turned 60 and is mentoring some younger people. I'm thinking he will be doing consulting jobs for at least another 5 to 8 years. Time will tell. Whatever makes him happy.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 10:04AM

(Punch line to an old joke.)

I started working around age 12. For years when I was working at minimum wage, I hated the feeling that I was selling my life for a paltry sum, hour-by-hour. Nearly 50 years down the road, I have had an interesting and profitable career, but still feel that I am just selling off what little time I may have left.

I am on track for retiring around the end of November. There is a small chance that I will be promoted before then, which would be agonizing as I would have to decide if I want the acclaim (and pay) that goes with the promotion for another couple of years, or declare my independence now.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 08:52PM

Retired this year and will never trade time for money again. There are so many things to do- Sometimes nothing is one of them.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 10:23AM

I was able to retire early because I left the church long ago and saved that 10% for it.

Do not underestimate the amount you can accumulate without a greedy church taking it off the top. I have complete financial security in my old age.

Retirement is heaven when you can afford it.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:12AM

I can't afford to retire, even though I'm worn out and so ready to have some easier days...

Date: August 02, 2015 11:54AM

Here's a Social Security Planner and video that might help some of you get a better idea how to project when you'd "like" to be able to retire, if assuming we have that ability to be so selective - sometimes life has other plans.

Full retirement age for SS is anywhere between 66 and 67 nowadays. If you wait until 70 you get 8% each year of your benefits added to that from your FRA. Conversely, if you retire at age 62 you take a 25% reduction of your full retirement age benefits. So depending on your health, job stability, other factors, it's kind of a dice roll.

https://www.northwesternmutual.com/learning-center/whitepapers/social-security-made-easy?cmpid=DSP-Outbrain-Whitepapers-Social_Security_WhitePaper:62#form

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 03:35PM

I believe it. I have much less stress now and spend my time planning things to do and places to go.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 02, 2015 11:32PM

My husband wants me to retire next year when I will be 62. Most of the stuff I've read online says you should NOT do that; you should wait until 65 or 66.

But oh, I don't know how much more I can take, between constantly being in pain, the incessant stress, and my boss treating me with contempt, all for barely over minimum wage...

Sorry for being such a whiner.

Date: August 03, 2015 12:49AM

Yes, you get less money. But you get it for a longer period of time. When you apply, the rep can do a calculation that tells you how long you will have to get benefits to make up the difference, if you care.

You aren't being a whiner. My job caused sky-high blood pressure, migraines, and horrific depression, all of which are either gone or under good control now. No matter how much we accomplished, they always wanted more. And then they criticized your performance if you forgot to dot an "I" or cross a "t." The stress was Gawd-awful. And lasted 30 years. (There are many reasons why I didn't get out earlier - I'm not going to explain them here.)

Apply three months ahead of your birthday, so your benefits will start on time. It can be done online nowadays, too, so you don't have to spend half the day rotting in an office.

GO FOR IT!!!

Date: August 03, 2015 01:04AM

Thank you, Catnip!

I owe you a hug. I don't know which is harder to take, the pain or the stress and depression, especially since according to my boss, I haven't done a d@m thing right in the ten years I've been there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 01:08AM by Doxi.

Date: August 03, 2015 02:00AM

Get the heck out, the minute you can. My ex always put money above well-being. My own attitude: SCREW THAT!!!

Retire, take your life back, breathe when you need to, go to the bathroom when you need to (not when THEY say you can!)

It's VERY hard to take, when you try so hard to do your job properly but get criticized every time you turn around. Been there, done that, and honey-child, it ain't WORTH IT!

You might have less money, but at least, you will have taken back your own LIFE.

Date: August 03, 2015 11:04AM

SII, I apologize for hijacking your thread, but this has been on my mind a lot, you know?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:14AM

Retirement is working for me.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:57AM

I shall be retiring shortly. Is it best to just do nothing but hobbies and relaxing, or to do something with real meaning, like helping the unfortunate? I just can't decide if I should relax and kick back or do something to change the world.

Date: August 03, 2015 12:16PM

Myron, when I'm lucky enough to be able to retire, I plan to do both!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.